Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5k,10k & half marathon

Options
  • 01-06-2011 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

First of all i'd like to say that i am a new runner, never undertaken any kind of running, clycling etc.. I do play sport however so i have some level of fitness.

I have decided that i'm going to atteempt the race series this year (5k, 10k and half marathon).

I did my first run/walk this morning - 2.97 miles in 35.01 minutes, not sure if that's a good starting point or not??

Anyway, all advice will be much appreciated.

Moggie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Just so you're clear
    The Dublin series is 5mile, 10mile and Half-Marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭moggie4000

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Just so you're clear
    The Dublin series is 5mile, 10mile and Half-Marathon

Yeah, sorry, i did know that. Should have put 'm' instead of 'k'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

It's a start, and that's the main thing. Now find yourself a novices' training programme to take you up to 5 miles. There are plenty of suggestions in the beginners' sticky above.

Don't worry about speed until you are more practised and confident in your abilities. That will come in time. Once you have your first goal completed look forward and build towards the next.

RoyMcC wrote: »
    It's a start, and that's the main thing. Now find yourself a novices' training programme to take you up to 5 miles. There are plenty of suggestions in the beginners' sticky above.

Don't worry about speed until you are more practised and confident in your abilities. That will come in time. Once you have your first goal completed look forward and build towards the next.

Any suggestions on nutrition? I see alot about power bars and nutritional drinks etc. Like this morning i had a half banana before running, came back finished the banana and had tea and toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

moggie4000 wrote: »
    Yeah, sorry, i did know that. Should have put 'm' instead of 'k'

You'd get a bit of a nasty shock if you turned up to the 5 or the 10 having trained for km as opposed to miles (well at least I would :D)

Wherever you are starting from is as good a point as any; the fact that you can run 3 miles to start with is great. I'll leave the serious advice to others around here but try to ensure that you get out a few times a week, look for a half marathon programm on the net- Hal Higdon or the like to start with. Week on week gradually increasing the distance you run and the time you spend on your feet is the only real advice that I'd give. Over a period of 8, 10 or 12 weeks you'd be amazed at how much you can achieve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Any suggestions on nutrition? I see alot about power bars and nutritional drinks etc. Like this morning i had a half banana before running, came back finished the banana and had tea and toast.

Don't worry about any of that. No need for fancy nutritional products for a long time yet.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Don't worry about any of that. No need for fancy nutritional products for a long time yet.

Cool... Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

There's a load of cobblers talked about nutrition. By maintaining a balanced diet and cutting down on processed foods you'll be healthy generally and not just for running.

RoyMcC wrote: »
    There's a load of cobblers talked about nutrition. By maintaining a balanced diet and cutting down on processed foods you'll be healthy generally and not just for running.

What about the runner's tights, are they worth purchasing?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What about the runner's tights, are they worth purchasing?
    Only in the depths of winter.
    You don't need anything, except a decent fitting pair of runners a comfortable pair of shorts, a well-fitting running top and stay well hydrated (water) before and after your run.

• Advertisement

Only in the depths of winter.
    You don't need anything, except a decent fitting pair of runners a comfortable pair of shorts, a well-fitting running top and stay well hydrated (water) before and after your run.

Ok thanks. I'll post up how i'm getting on over the next few weeks, i'm sure i'll have more questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Get good runners ( go to a proper shop and get gait done ), comfortable shorts, tech t shirt ( to save the nipples ) and go out and enjoy.

Sensible healthy diet and follow a program.

There is also a thread here somewhere to help people who are aiming for their 1st half marathon.

Oh and don't do too much too quickly, build slowy and your body will handle it better and you'll enjoy it.

4.5 miles in 50 minutes this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Moggie, men are not allowed to wear tights, it's in the book.
    Hold on, maybe you're a female in which case I can sell you my second hand tights?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

hi moggie where can i find info on this dublin series if you dont mind? just starting off myself so looking at soemthign to aim for

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Rossin wrote: »
    hi moggie where can i find info on this dublin series if you dont mind? just starting off myself so looking at soemthign to aim for

http://dublinmarathon.ie/race_series.php

Patrick_K wrote: »
    Moggie, men are not allowed to wear tights, it's in the book.
    Hold on, maybe you're a female in which case I can sell you my second hand tights?

Ha Ha fair enough...

Ran my first mile straight this morning - very happy with that!

Ran 2.11 miles in 19.54 minutes.

Day off tomorrow - maybe go for a walk we'll see!

Rest day today, give the body a rest!

After playing a game yesterday, i used it as my cross training exercise.

This morning i ran my first mile straight again. I did 2.82 miles in 31.30 minutes.

My goal for this week is to run 2 miles straight without stopping.

Moggie

• Advertisement

4.52 miles in 45.21 minutes this morning. My most enjoyable run so far, really enjoyed it! Ran 2 miles straight for the first time, really delighted with that!

Walked today for 3.3 miles, very enjoyable! Feel myself getting fitter every day. Looking forward to a run in the morning.

My runs so far:
    2.97 miles in 35.01 mins
    4.53 miles in 50.39 mins
    2.11 miles in 19.55 mins
    2.82 miles in 31.30 mins
    4.52 miles in 45.21 mins

4.5 miles in 48.33 minutes this morning. My speed was down this morning for some reason but happy I ran the first two miles straight again

After hurting my groin playing sport on Monday, i had to give the body a rest which was a small set back. Got back out running/walking this morning at a nice easy pace, just did the 2.13 miles and it took me 22.44 minutes. Walked for some of it as i wanted to ease myself back into it.

Running in the lashing rain though was quite enjoyable!!

I think the plan for the next couple of days is to run every second day and walk every other day with a rest day somewhere in between.

Only 29 days to the first race - 5 mile run in the Phoenix Park.

Moggie

Nice walk this afternoon. 3.5 mile walk sets me up for a run tomorrow morning.

3.50 miles in 31 minutes. Ran a new route this morning with a killer of a hill at the start. Very happy though, I ran the lot!! Very impressed with how my fitness has improved and such a beautiful day - very enjoyable!

Thats great work, once a week try to stretch out the distance but going at a slower pace and spending longer on your feet, as in 5 miles in a hr.......slower than you'd normally do but longer out there for your legs to adapt to !

Thanks for the advice Elvis, really good idea! I did 3.5 miles in 31 minutes again this morning, really happy with that! A beautiful morning too

3.5 miles in 32 minutes this morning, enjoyable run.. Need to get to the 5 miles over the next few days but happy wth my progress. Slowly but surely....

• Advertisement

Well done, keep it up and neever mind 5 miles you'll get to 6.25/10km in no time.

Advertisement