Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coliac/Wind in newborn

• 01-06-2011 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Hi all, our little bundle of joy is 2 weeks old, everything ok apart from her getting bad wind/coliac ,

we got a product called dentinox but she refuses to take it as it comes with a spoon and she finds it difficult to swallow from a sppon! (as opposed to drops)

any help advice with products or tips please :)

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Can you not use one of those measuring syringes – I know that’s how we used to give our kids medicine when they were small – available in pharmacies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Try soya milk worked for us (13 years ago :eek:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I used Infacol and Colief with number 2 and also a comfort formula (cow and gate comfort)... the infacol comes with a dropper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I used infacol too but to be honest Op you are just going to have to ride it out. Nothing really cures it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Dovies wrote: »
    I used infacol too but to be honest Op you are just going to have to ride it out. Nothing really cures it.

First nights sleep we got in 3 months was when we used soya milk, that cured it for us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

We used Infacol, made a slight difference but our little lad had very bad colic.. In the end, (as per a recommendation from a fellow Boardsie) I took him to an Osteopath who cured it in 2 X 1hr sessions.. never looked back..

If you want I can PM you her details. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

thanks for the replies, mother is breastfeeding if that makes a difference?

we heard of fennel tea??

is she too small for gripe water??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Breastfeeding makes no difference
    Fennel tea is very strong for that age.
    Gripe water is fine but can't say it will make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

We will ask the doctor 2mrw at our appointment, thanks for the advice though :)

she sleeping now so fingers crossed she will settle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

You don't say if you're breastfeeding or not as mums diet while breastfeeding can exacerbate colic.

Fennel tea is an old remedy for colic. You can give 1teaspoon of cooled fennel tea before and after a feed.
    I breastfed so I drank fennel tea rather than giving it directly to my baby. Gripe water was a life saver for us because it quickly relieved colic symptoms.

The colic hold is also very effective. You hold the baby facIng outwards and sideways with his back lying against your tummy. Your left hand goes down his tummy to his left leg and your right hand comes between his legs. Sway him left to right with a little bounce at the end. We found this a fantastic position for calming him down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Do not give the baby soya formula. Maybe cut dairy out of your own diet. Talk to your health nurse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I cut dairy out of my diet altogether with my son and it made a difference almost instantly ie within 1-2 days. I recall slipping up diet wise over Christmas and he reverted to colic form and when I removed dairy again the colic eased/ disappeared again.
    Made for a very boring diet for a few months though.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Dairy especially cheese as it's very hard on a baby's tummy, cabbage, parsnip, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, garlic, chickpeas, milk chocolate. There's probably lots more but those are what I avoided.

Yes it makes for a very limited diet indeed but it's only for a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Gripe water worked for us, 1st time.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭sonandheir

Our daughter is 2months old and was very colicky from the start,we used the coleaf and gripe water and didn't really make a difference,we put her on the actimel COMFORT food and it seemed to work for us,no colic since,hope this helps you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Watch out for onions peas and cabbage. . and foods that she didn't eat during pregnancy can cause upset too... oh and beans. . . can make for interesting nappies :D sometimes a bit of cooled boiled water can ease it a little. . ;)

Advertisement