Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance Question about resisdency

Options
  • 01-06-2011 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello

Hope someone can help me :-)

I was away for two years in Australia until last December. One of the questions on most insurance forms is have you been resident in Ireland for at least the last 3 years. Can anyone tell me why this matters? This really affects the price of my quote when I say no. Can anyone help as my insurance is dear enough already since this is my first car!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Your question suggests that you're entering data on an internet form i.e. on the web. The general consensus on boards is that you need to phone the insurance companies to get the best quote.

Recently arrived immigrants are probably considered a poor risk because they have yet get to get to grips with the style of driving in Ireland and perhaps because they are used to driving on the right. You may be the victim of automated profiling (by the online quote system) in which case if you phone for a quote and explain your circumstances you may get a lower quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

coylemj wrote: »

Recently arrived immigrants are probably considered a poor risk because they have yet get to get to grips with the style of driving in Ireland and perhaps because they are used to driving on the right. You may be the victim of automated profiling (by the online quote system) in which case if you phone for a quote and explain your circumstances you may get a lower quote.

You have hit the nail on the head there.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Not sure if it is relevant, but I lived in Luxembourg for quite a while and had car insurance there. I left to work in Africa for a few years and when I went back to Lux I found my insurance history had disappeared and I was treated as having had no insurance, an expensive experience. I had car insurance in Africa but they didn't want to know and I had had insurance in Ireland earlier but no use....

Not sure if this is peculiar to Lux or a general thing. If you say you weren't in Ireland for the three years but had insurance elsewhere are you OK??

Come to think of it why can't we have European insurance - they could spread the risk over a bigger population. Anyway, what has residence to do with insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

BarryM wrote: »

Come to think of it why can't we have European insurance - they could spread the risk over a bigger population. Anyway, what has residence to do with insurance?

Have you any idea how difficult it is to regulate insurance in Ireland alone,never mind having insurance for hundreds of millions of people.

What language would you have it in?

The question on residence goes back to the influx of people from Eastern European and African nations in the late 90s/early 00's.

The claims history/lack of experience driving from individuals that had been driving in Europe or beyond is huge so companies use it as an underwriting guide.

Not fair on some people but its impossible to differentiate.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

BarryM wrote: »

Because the system in the UK and Ireland is 100% corrupt in terms of what people claim for and the lawyers who facilitate the system and effectively encourage frivolous claims, knowing that the insurance companies will cave in and write the cheque.

In France for example the number of people who claim for whiplash is almost zero whereas here when a car is rear-ended, the insurance company will pay out knowing that the policyholder will get no renewal quotation from anybody else so while they have him by the balls they will get the money back through increased premiums.

The result of this is that insurance companies in Ireland accept and settle what are by any standard fraudulent claims thereby encouraging and prolonging a completely corrupt system which lines the pockets of ambulance-chasing lawyers and inflates the premiums of honest motorists.

• Advertisement

Have you any idea how difficult it is to regulate insurance in Ireland alone,never mind having insurance for hundreds of millions of people.

What language would you have it in?

I wasn't referring to the details, they cannot change, I was referring to a common market for insurance; if there was then the numbers v the claims/costs ratio would alter. We pay relatively more because the insurance companies base their premiums on a small market (Ireland, with some UK, i.e. NI). After all, Allianz is a multinational, but you cannot insure with them for two cars in different countries, why?
    The question on residence goes back to the influx of people from Eastern European and African nations in the late 90s/early 00's.

The claims history/lack of experience driving from individuals that had been driving in Europe or beyond is huge so companies use it as an underwriting guide.

....and what about those who had driven in 'good' places such as Germany, were they never assessed before the request for residence??
    Not fair on some people but its impossible to differentiate.

It would if there was a common market....??

coylemj wrote: »
    Because the system in the UK and Ireland is 100% corrupt in terms of what people claim for and the lawyers who facilitate the system and effectively encourage frivolous claims, knowing that the insurance companies will cave in and write the cheque.

In France for example the number of people who claim for whiplash is almost zero whereas here when a car is rear-ended, the insurance company will pay out knowing that the policyholder will get no renewal quotation from anybody else so while they have him by the balls they will get the money back through increased premiums.

The result of this is that insurance companies in Ireland accept and settle what are by any standard fraudulent claims thereby encouraging and prolonging a completely corrupt system which lines the pockets of ambulance-chasing lawyers and inflates the premiums of honest motorists.

Your points are exactly why we should have a common market. The market in Ireland ALLOWS insurance companies to pay up for cons, it seems that it doesn't elsewhere. The buyer here pays a premium which is calculated on the basis of allowing cons.....

Biggest con of all, provisional license driving, insurers have allowed it to happen with the nonsense system we've had for years....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 trek04

well! Never heard of such condition :D

Advertisement