Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeff Mangum Vicar St. 7 March 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

lordgoat wrote: »
    Keep an eye over on toutless I know a few people that have spares to this putting them up over there.

Also pop into the thread more often, someone always has updates if things change about gigs. Or get your self set up on twitter!

Who should I follow on twitter, ticketmaster?

Still tickets available anyway, happy days.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

keane2097 wrote: »
    Who should I follow on twitter, ticketmaster?

Still tickets available anyway, happy days.

Ya still a good few tickets left.

In this case Leagues O'Toole (@foggynotions) and then go through who he follows or who i follow if you want a shorter list!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

There are now under 50 tickets left for this!! hopefully all folk on this forum get sorted with tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭AhrSkidar

Thanks for the heads-up on this - got my ticket.

I may have this totally mixed up, but were Neutral Milk Hotel due to support Sparklehorse at a gig in Whelans in, I think, 1998? I remember looking forward to seeing them but they definitely didn't play. I think Mic Christopher might have instead. Ring any bells?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

AhrSkidar wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads-up on this - got my ticket.

I may have this totally mixed up, but were Neutral Milk Hotel due to support Sparklehorse at a gig in Whelans in, I think, 1998? I remember looking forward to seeing them but they definitely didn't play. I think Mic Christopher might have instead. Ring any bells?

Yeah, I was at that gig. I think the ticket stub says 'Neutral Milk Honey'. They didn't show up. I can't exactly remember who played instead but it could have been Mic Christopher alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

I have to say, if I was expecting Jeff Mangum and Mic Christopher showed up instead I'd be looking for my money back. I wonder why the band never showed for that gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

It was disappointing that they didn't show up but I was there to see Sparklehorse and Neutral Milk Hotel were only supposed to be the support act. There wasn't really a cult around them then. They were just a band with a good new album out.

Thinking about that gig now, it's sad to think that both artists I saw that night have passed away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Decuc500 wrote: »
    There wasn't really a cult around them then. They were just a band with a good new album out.

That's why I think it's such a shame that they didn't play. I must admit I had never heard of them at that point, but it would have been a great time to see them live.
    Thinking about that gig now, it's sad to think that both artists I saw that night have passed away.

That is sad. I never got into Sparklehorse, but I did see Mark Linkous play with Daniel Johnston in Whelan's a few years back and I liked what he played. I was shocked to hear of his death afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭AhrSkidar

Back in 1998 Neutral Milk Hotel, Olivia Tremor Control, Elephant 6 were names I was aware of - knew nothing about their music. I was there for Sparklehorse, but do remember turning up early to see what I thought would be NMH.

They seem to have played loads of gigs with Sparklehorse in 1998 - wonder why they didn't make it.
    http://neutralmilkhotel.net/performance.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Cheers for the heads up on the venue change, I was about to book some travels to compensate for having missed the original announcement for Whelan's. I gave up expecting anything from this guy since the mini-reunion a while back, figuring that was the end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pauliewallie

I have never heard of Jeff Magnum until I started reading this thread, and now I am intrigued as so many people are excited by the upcoming gig.

I assume he was in NMH, who I have heard of but never listened to.

Recommendations on what album to start on for Mr.Magnum? :D

I have never heard of Jeff Magnum until I started reading this thread, and now I am intrigued as so many people are excited by the upcoming gig.

The essential album to go for is "in an aeroplane over the sea"

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Get his auld name right first of all dude.

Then go listen to In the Airplane Over The Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pauliewallie

ah right - must have mis-read it!

Mangum is it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Both albums are great, not sure which I prefer, to be honest. Got into In An Aeroplane Over The Sea first, but it took me a long time to really get it. Kept hearing how good it was off friends, but his voice just grated with me too much. Got into On Avery Island straight away, but I'm not sure if that's because I already liked the second album so much. I think it's a bit more accessible though.

There's a new boxset coming this year, I seem to recall. It'll include the two albums, the b-sides and some stuff that's not seen the full-studio release before, including the likes of Ferris Wheel on Fire and Oh Sister. It's available to order from November 22, and can be previewed, both here:

http://walkingwallofwords.com/releases.html

Humanity rejoice, Little Birds is getting released in both its acoustic and studio majesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ellieswellies

After reading through some reviews of his recent gigs and seeing the setlists, this is going to be an amazing show. I can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭clig

Bought a ticket for this last night, only the balcony available and going on my own cos no one else I know has even heard of him! Still looking forward to it :D

The UK ATP he's doing has been postponed until March, hope this gig's still going ahead as planned.

The UK ATP he's doing has been postponed until March, hope this gig's still going ahead as planned.

this is up on the atp website
    The separate London shows for The Magic Band and Superchunk will stay at their original dates - we are waiting to hear back regarding the Jeff Mangum, Panda Bear, Olivia Tremor Control and Thurston Moore London shows which may also be rescheduled - keep an eye on our website for confirmation - we will let you know as soon as we can

• Advertisement

Thurston Moore's London show is going ahead as planned, according to ATP. Hopefully that means the Dublin one is too. Not holding my breath on the Mangum show, though.

Any news coming down the wire re: the Mangum gigs? I can't find a thing. His tour site hasn't postponed any dates, but the ATP show is still up there as on, so it's hardly credible.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Any news coming down the wire re: the Mangum gigs? I can't find a thing. His tour site hasn't postponed any dates, but the ATP show is still up there as on, so it's hardly credible.
    This is what atp said on Friday.
    The London Panda Bear show on 1st December is confirmed to go ahead as planned - we will have news on the Jeff Mangum and Olivia Tremor Control shows soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

This show has been postponed until 7th March 2012 now.

boo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

ugh ffs :(

is it possible to get refund? i could probably offload them easy but refund be simpler

ronano wrote: »
    ugh ffs :(

is it possible to get refund? i could probably offload them easy but refund be simpler

Refunds are being given.

How do you go about getting the refund? Is there any press release or anything?

Just going on what Foggy Notions has posted on Facebook.

Not sure how you go about getting a refund. If you have physical tickets I presume you'd just return them to the point of purchase.

Might be best to contact Foggy Notions about it.

• Advertisement

What's another 3 months after 10 years? Well, I guess, but it was staving my Winter from being completely miserable.

Advertisement