Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Tyres

• 01-06-2011 11:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭

Failed a NCT because of the tyres today. 2 rear tyres failed but advised to get 4 as the other 2 which passed were borderline. Any recommendations where to go. It's the cost I'm trying to keep down. Tyre size is 185 65 R14. Anyone know of any deals at the moment??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

I would recommend Tom Geragthy, have my NCT on Friday Morning, hopefully it passes for me.
    Least you only failed on bad tyres, it could have been something mechanical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

STIG83 wrote: »
    I would recommend Tom Geragthy, have my NCT on Friday Morning, hopefully it passes for me.
    Least you only failed on bad tyres, it could have been something mechanical.

Thanks for that. Yeah I was a bit surprised as it's a 03 car and fully expected it to fail on something mechanical. Surprisingly I thought the tyres were ok.:eek:

lewisdhead wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Yeah I was a bit surprised as it's a 03 car and fully expected it to fail on something mechanical. Surprisingly I thought the tyres were ok.:eek:

Was it in Waterford you done the test?
    You didnt try to bribe the tester like what was showed on Primetime Investigates?!
    Hope to god my car will get through, i dont fancy forking out money on a repair bill.

Was it in Waterford you done the test?
    You didnt try to bribe the tester like what was showed on Primetime Investigates?!
    Hope to god my car will get through, i dont fancy forking out money on a repair bill.

Yeah Waterford. If I had the money I might have tried a bribe.:D Good luck with your test.

Yeah Waterford. If I had the money I might have tried a bribe.:D Good luck with your test.

Cheers, the NCT is a money making racket anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

, have my NCT on Friday Morning,

Since when did tractors need a test :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

I'd reccommend Larry Guinan tyre sales on the cork road (out by eddie garry carsales)

They'll do you good deal, they'd do part worn tyres too that'd keep cost down

also I'd reccomend sealant tyres on Bridge street (opposite tax office) they'l also do part worn

you could get very good part worn for about 30 a tyre

seanybiker wrote: »
    Since when did tractors need a test :D:D

That must be a new thing that was brought in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭fudark

I recently had to replace mine too. I shopped arund the town and got the cheapest deal in a garage at Waterside (Ray's Tyres or something like that). I got two new front tyres and two "nearly new" :) for the back for 200e plus free car valeting and discount for tracking.
    The second cheapest was the garage opposite tax office, they offered the same deal (except car valeting) for 240e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I went to Geraghty's yesterday for two new tyres for the jeep. €115 each for brand new Uniroyals is good, plus they fixed a slow puncture on my rear tyre and didn't charge me for it. I can't recommend them enough.

• Advertisement

Geraghtys are top notch in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

i cant unerstand how someone cant see for themselves that their tyres are dangerous and have the sense to change them....

Hoffmans wrote: »
    i cant unerstand how someone cant see for themselves that their tyres are dangerous and have the sense to change them....

Not sure if that is a dig at me or not, but as I said in an earlier post, I actually thought my tyres were fine. I base that on a casual visual inspection only, and not on any other sort of experience. I invite you to look at my tyres too, and would be surprised if you don't come to the same conclusion.

Not sure if that is a dig at me or not, but as I said in an earlier post, I actually thought my tyres were fine. I base that on a casual visual inspection only, and not on any other sort of experience. I invite you to look at my tyres too, and would be surprised if you don't come to the same conclusion.

My car didnt pass, one of my the lights bulbs on the front is not aligned properly, it's shines upwards, could be worse i suppose.

My car didnt pass, one of my the lights bulbs on the front is not aligned properly, it's shines upwards, could be worse i suppose.

Should be an easy fix. Will it cost for a retest or is it just a visual retest? Visual I guess.

28 for the retest!! Where would I get it done to make sure it right for the retest?

chap on waterside, dick mcnamara auto electrical, he's in that place Durant court i think its called, halfway down the waterside, he'l do it while you wait

or advance do it too,,, better to give it to the little guy though,

Typhoon. wrote: »
    chap on waterside, dick mcnamara auto electrical, he's in that place Durant court i think its called, halfway down the waterside, he'l do it while you wait

or advance do it too,,, better to give it to the little guy though,
    Waterside as in where the Renault garage used to be before it moved?

yeah just passed where H&H used to be... closer to the park.. theres a new-ish development...connects waterside with parnell st..... its in there

Typhoon. wrote: »
    yeah just passed where H&H used to be... closer to the park.. theres a new-ish development...connects waterside with parnell st..... its in there

Any idea on what the price would be?

• Advertisement

either 25 or 30e... no more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Hoffmans wrote: »

Unless the tyres are an obvious fail it makes sense to see what else the NCT brings up before shelling out for new ones, that's my thinking anyway.

Incidentally the NCT centre is now open seven days a week, my appointment is at 17:40 on a Sunday!

SSE

Unless the tyres are an obvious fail it makes sense to see what else the NCT brings up before shelling out for new ones, that's my thinking anyway.

Incidentally the NCT centre is now open seven days a week, my appointment is at 17:40 on a Sunday!

SSE

Thought they were always open on Sundays?

Advertisement