Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New regulations for disabled car parking spaces to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Paul101

We will have to see. They should get rid of the all day free parking for blue badge holders and concentrate on making space available for people who really need the facilities

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I'm a blue badge holder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Enforcement will be crucial to the effectiveness of the new scheme. I'm not convinced that the enforcers -- Local Authorities and An Garda Siochana -- take either their responsibilities or the needs of people with disabilities seriously enough.

I'm not claiming that such is the case everywhere in the country, but I've seen enough blind eyes being turned to conclude that it's an all too common problem.

Garda_owned_car_in_Blue_badge_space.jpg

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Enforcement will be crucial to the effectiveness of the new scheme. I'm not convinced that the enforcers -- Local Authorities and An Garda Siochana -- take either their responsibilities or the needs of people with disabilities seriously enough.
    I'm not claiming that such is the case everywhere in the country, but I've seen enough blind eyes being turned to conclude that it's an all too common problem.

Garda_owned_car_in_Blue_badge_space.jpg

^^This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Nelly2

Does anyone know the new "medical criteria" or where I can find it? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

That's terrible - did you report it?

That's terrible - did you report it?

Hi!

I've been reporting behaviour like this for quite a while now.

The local authority tells me that either (a) this kind of thing doesn't happen, or (b) that if it does happen it is justified by parking bye-laws which means that nothing untoward is happening, and in any case (c) "common sense must prevail".

Most of the local elected representatives ignore me, and have pretty much stopped anwering my letters and emails.

AGS also ignore me in a similar fashion, although on a few occasions individual officers have verbally warned me off with vague threats that they might use their powers of arrest if I don't behave...

Paul101 wrote: »
    They should get rid of the all day free parking for blue badge holders
    Why? Lots of disabled people use this facility when at work.
    AGS also ignore me in a similar fashion, although on a few occasions individual officers have verbally warned me off with vague threats that they might use their powers of arrest if I don't behave...
    How about http://www.gardaombudsman.ie/?

Like me.

How about http://www.gardaombudsman.ie/?

The problem is so endemic it would be impossible and pointless to make an individual complaint about every individual Garda in every individual instance where non-enforcement or inappropriate parking occurs.

It's a policy issue, not merely a matter of individual behaviour. There may be a mechanism for getting the GSOC to deal with policy matters, but it's a big deal to move things that far.

Have you made any complaint to the GSOC about this kind of thing?

• Advertisement

Nope, haven't seen those kinds of abuses myself first hand, so I haven't been onto the GSOC.

I have got onto the Garda Commissioner and the local Supt about issues reported through TrafficWatch, which does seem to get some results. The Inspector came round to my house and took the statement from me there, instead of me having to go into them.

Advertisement