Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

only achieved 35 credits...

Options
  • 01-06-2011 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

I have just 'finished' stage one of an arts programme where i only gained 35 credits out of 60, i got four e's and one g, however im sure the module where i got the grade g in there is a mistake cause i know i done well in that module. Anyone else in a similar situation or has been in the past? i know i would have to resit at 3 of them to allow the others to be compensated.. was also thing of taking a year out to raise funds.. any ideas or best option?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Well, assuming the G grade is a mistake (contact your lecturer about this to confirm), that means you have 4 modules to make up. All you have to do is repeat 1 and the other 3 should get compensated, provided that you meet the GPA requirements. So that's only 1 repeat fee and you'd be able to progress to Stage 2 at Christmas. They'd let you do some stage 2 modules modules during the first semester as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭corkman123

thanks, apart from the reg fee, and 230 per module to repeat and the 154euro fee is there any other fees for having to repeat the stage/semester? ... there is also personal/emotional reasons which have influenced my final results... would this make any difference ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think it's a bit late to apply for extenuating circumstances. A student advisor might be able to advise you better.

But yeah those fees are correct. Like I said though, you should be able to do some Stage 2 modules as well, so the semester won't be a total loss (you'll need to talk to the programme office about this). You don't repeat a stage or semester, you just remain in that stage until you have enough credits to progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ucd11

Hi, I'm in a similar situation, even worse actually, with only 30 credits! :(
    4 E's and 2 F's, terrible I know, didn't deserve to pass though, did no work, things are going to be very different in September!
    I thought the situation was that I would have to repeat all 6 next semester 1, but can I actually only repeat 3 of them, the 2 F's and an E and then compensate the other 3 E's?
    Thanks

thank god theres sum1 else in a similar situation! i have to repeat 2 too... i dont mind it ... the only thing is iyou wont be able to recieve a grant and will have to pay the 2000 reg fee :mad: ... did u get a grant last yr? - you have to have a gpa of 2.0 or greater to compensate the e's..

• Advertisement

Hey I know, I actually feel so embarassed about doing so bad, but I guess we all make mistakes!
    I honestly don't mind it either, I was all prepared to repeat the 6 of them, as long as I can continue on with my degree, so costly though, it's situations like thins that I wish UCD had August repeats, we'd still have to pay for the repeats but it wouldn't affect our grant or anything!
    Yeah I got the grant, but we'll get it after Christmas when we pass, and won't we only have to pay half of the reg. fee, like just for the 1st semester?
    Can we definitely still compensate like with repeating just the 3 in my case, and 2 in yours?
    Oh yeah I still have a GPA above 2.0, luckily enough!

i think we can... oh is it only half the reg fee? i rang ucd today and she told me i had to pay the full 2grand... i dont mind repeating but i really rely on the grant.. im defo guna work harder in sept!... u can compensate 3 e grades... as long as your gpa is over 2.0.. what course are you doing?

I'm pretty sure don't have to pay the full 2k in September. That's true of everyone - you can pay it in two halfs. And afaik, provided you succeed in progressing to Stage 2 at Christmas, you get the grant and the second half of the registration fee paid for the second semester.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

LEGEND

ah i can breath a sigh of relief! thats not bad... so would you get half of the grant your entitled to is it? or the full grant entitlement for the whole of stage 2? if i do some stage 2 modules at xmas too.. is it possible to complete stage 2 next may or does it overlap?

• Advertisement

Yay, brilliant news, this has just saved me €690 and made me feel much better, legends all of you! :D
    Yeah I presume,we get half of the grant, but I'm not 100% sure on that, as long as we get half of it it'll not be too bad! :)
    Oh and I'm doing medicine!

corkman123 wrote: »
    so would you get half of the grant your entitled to is it? or the full grant entitlement for the whole of stage 2?
    I'm not sure how that would work tbh. It's possible they would backdate it, but I doubt it somehow.
    if i do some stage 2 modules at xmas too.. is it possible to complete stage 2 next may or does it overlap?
    Possible, yeah, but it depends. Some of your core modules may require some of the Stage 1 modules as pre-requisites, which could prevent you from doing them until the following year, messing up other modules. This is where it can get very messy. The workload might be a bit too much as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

ucd11 wrote: »
    Yay, brilliant news, this has just saved me €690 and made me feel much better, legends all of you! :D

Can we have some of that money you saved? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Wait a sec, it's 690 scoops to repeat exams in UCD? Jasus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Naikon wrote: »
    Wait a sec, it's 690 scoops to repeat exams in UCD? Jasus.

No they're €230, but if you fail three its €690.

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Can we have some of that money you saved? ;)

Haha if only I had the money in the first place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

ye i only achieved 25 credits whats the story now wat do i do? can i just do 1st year again?

partyndbs wrote: »
    ye i only achieved 25 credits whats the story now wat do i do? can i just do 1st year again?
    No, you just have to make up the 35 credits you failed.

whats the story with summer repeats?? is there no repeats during the summer? why do ucd have to make it so awkward to repeat/resit modules!!

No summer repeats. Any repeats are carried over and held at the next exam session, i.e. at Christmas.

• Advertisement

what about resits?

That's what I meant, re-sit exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

whats the story with summer repeats?? is there no repeats during the summer? why do ucd have to make it so awkward to repeat/resit modules!!

It's not awkward at all. Even less so if you don't fail them in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

How is it awkward when they hold them during your next set of exams? Bringing you back in the summer would be awkward. Holding them during the Christmas period when you will be doing exams anyway is the opposite of awkward.

If i pass the 3 repeats next semester, allowing me to compensate the other 3, will I compensate these at Christmas, or at the end of the year?

Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Sefirah

Ffs, in all fairness, anyone who fails that many exams without any good reason doesn't deserve to be in college- what a disgrace

Sefirah wrote: »
    Ffs, in all fairness, anyone who fails that many exams without any good reason doesn't deserve to be in college- what a disgrace

Get off your high horse. People make mistakes. The OP will pay for consequences of their mistake and hopefully learn from it. They are just looking for advice about how to go about this.

the registration fee that has to be paid when repeating say 2 modules from stage 1... does the reg fee cover the reg fee in stage 2 if i hope to do some stage 2 modules in sept too and complete stage 2 at the end of 2012 acad yr?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

Sefirah wrote: »

Oh get over yourself! :rolleyes:

Advertisement