Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entry level watch

• 01-06-2011 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,im a total newbie to running and have just started a couch to 10k program.Im looking for a watch that wont break the bank starting off.As the program is running for x minutes,walking for y minutes for z amount of times,i think i would need something with interval timers,would that be correct?All suggestions greatly appreciated.Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi guys,im a total newbie to running and have just started a couch to 10k program.Im looking for a watch that wont break the bank starting off.As the program is running for x minutes,walking for y minutes for z amount of times,i think i would need something with interval timers,would that be correct?All suggestions greatly appreciated.Cheers in advance.
    Sounds like you need a stop-watch with lap timers. Argos is usually a good port of call, and the Timex Ironman type watches are pretty good, for around €20-€30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

http://www.polar.fi/en/products/get_active/fitness_crosstraining/FT4

Something like the FT4 will give you heart rate readings and function as a stopwatch allowing you to do your minutes on and off.

You can simply time your intervals rather than looking at more expensive units that will beep and alert you to interval sessions.

Good luck with your program! And welcome to running :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

@Krusty.Cheers for reply.Can you suggest one? Basically i just need to be able to punch in the required times for running and walking and for the watch to beep or something to let me know when to change.At the mo ,im just using a regular chrono watch and its a bit of a pain looking at it all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

If you are looking for something to program and set the intervals then you should be considering the Polar 300x or similar.

Another option is to have a look on itunes. There are podcasts there that are programmed to guide users through the 9 -10 weeks of the couch to 5k training sets. They literally tell you when you should be walking and when to be running while explaining the program and playing music too.

Search itunes for "couch to 5k".

The itunes isnt an option.Dont have an ipod or iphone:eek: Ill have a look at the other,looks pricey though

• Advertisement

If you're only starting out, then the cheaper the better. You can use a standard stop-watch which supports laps. you start your watch, and glance at it occasionally. When you hit the appropriate time for your particular segment, then hit the lap button and a new lap counter will start for the next segment. It won't give you alerts though. Alternatively, you could use the count-down timer, which will give you an alert, but you'll need to set it up again for each activity segment.

The two cheapest watches in the Timex Ironman range support 10 lap memory, and count-down timers. you just can't pre-program them.

If you're evaluating watches in €100 range 9which you really shouldn't be, at this stage) then you should include watches like the Garmin 305, which allows you to set up specific programs exactly as you describe, and also support GPS tracking, speed, distance, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Why not a cheap Casio wristwatch with a stopwatch function? It's all I use when leading my C25K groups. GBP10 or something.

Cheers for replies guys.
    l'll have a look at the ironman so. The analogue watch im using is a bit of a pain,did the second hand go around twice or three times etc:confused: Thanks again

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Why not a cheap Casio wristwatch with a stopwatch function? It's all I use when leading my C25K groups. GBP10 or something.
    Im putting up a couple of questions in the newcomers thread.Would appreciate any advice you have to offer seeing as you coach c25k groups.

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Yep, as I said, the cheaper the better. The Timex Ironman are a good solid watch, with a couple of features that could prove handy.
    I have a cheap digital stop-watch from LIDL that doesn't keep time very well. It loses around 20 seconds every hour. :eek:

• Advertisement

Just a little add on. Im picking up an Ironman 30 lap watch today. In the meantime,ive come across this www.gymboss.com. Looks exactly what i need:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Just a little add on. Im picking up an Ironman 30 lap watch today.:D

Where and how much?

Need something simialr myself.

dna_leri wrote: »
    Where and how much?

Need something simialr myself.
    Argos €48 Cat no. 283/9750

Just a little add on. Im picking up an Ironman 30 lap watch today. In the meantime,ive come across this www.gymboss.com. Looks exactly what i need:D
    That does look perfect (if it were in watch format), but to be honest, it's easy to get into the habit of glancing occasionally at the watch, so you don't really need count-down timers or alerts.

That old Mickey Mouse digital watch you had in the 70s would probably do you!

disney-endlesscom-watches-womens-mck367-mickey-mouse-black-band-digital-watch.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

That does look perfect (if it were in watch format), but to be honest, it's easy to get into the habit of glancing occasionally at the watch, so you don't really need count-down timers or alerts.

disney-endlesscom-watches-womens-mck367-mickey-mouse-black-band-digital-watch.jpg

Had velcro gone mainstream in the 70's - probably still on steel and leather :)

Dammit,never kept it:D.That gymboss can be clipped to your shorts,can be worn on the arm or wrist.Beauty of it is,that with the audible alarms,clipping it to shorts would do-no need to be looking at it.

Advertisement