Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6 month old Ride on mower broken and dealer won't fix

• 01-06-2011 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I paid €2,500 for a new Castelgarden ride on mower from a dealer last September. I've only used it about a dozen times since.

A week ago, the drive belt came off and so the mower wouldn't move. I managed to put the belt back on but it slipped off again. I called the guy I bought it from and he came out to collect the mower. He said he'd have it fixed up and back to me the next day. After four days, as I hadn't heard from him, I called him and he said he'd drop it back to me which he did.

I took the mower out that evening (which was last Saturday) to cut our now long grass and after just one minute of use, the belt came off again. I rang this guy and he was full of apologies and he said he'd come straight over to collect the mower but he never showed up. I rang him on Monday and he said he'd be over but no show, my wife then rang him yesterday and he said he now had a part for the mower and he'd be right over but guess what, no show.

Obviously he's taking the p1ss at this stage. What can I do about this as I paid him a huge wad of money for a mower that I've only gotten to use a dozen times before it broke down. The mower hasn't been abused in any way and is still in "showroom condition" and is supposedly under guarantee for 12 months, i.e. until next September.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I paid €2,500 for a new Castelgarden ride on mower from a dealer last September. I've only used it about a dozen times since.

A week ago, the drive belt came off and so the mower wouldn't move. I managed to put the belt back on but it slipped off again. I called the guy I bought it from and he came out to collect the mower. He said he'd have it fixed up and back to me the next day. After four days, as I hadn't heard from him, I called him and he said he'd drop it back to me which he did.

I took the mower out that evening (which was last Saturday) to cut our now long grass and after just one minute of use, the belt came off again. I rang this guy and he was full of apologies and he said he'd come straight over to collect the mower but he never showed up. I rang him on Monday and he said he'd be over but no show, my wife then rang him yesterday and he said he now had a part for the mower and he'd be right over but guess what, no show.

Obviously he's taking the p1ss at this stage. What can I do about this as I paid him a huge wad of money for a mower that I've only gotten to use a dozen times before it broke down. The mower hasn't been abused in any way and is still in "showroom condition" and is supposedly under guarantee for 12 months, i.e. until next September.
    Try writing to him and tell him you want a repair replacement or refund or you will be taking him to court,

the only problem though is the amount is outside the small claims court jusisdiction and this guy probably knows this so he will do nothing as it could take a few years for you to catch up to him through the courts and it would cost too much and he could be gone out of business by then anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Might i suggest that if you get no joy from the dealer that you ring the manufacturer direct and tell them the story. I know the contract is with the dealer but i'm also sure the maker wouldn't like the way your being treated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Hang around outside his premises and inform potential customers of your exprience with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

aujopimur wrote: »
    Hang around outside his premises and inform potential customers of your exprience with him.

+1 on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

You should edit the title of this as it's misleading. It's not that your warranty has not been honoured - the dealer isn't showing up. The manufacturer won't be pleased with this as they will honour the warranty and it can been done through another dealer if necessary. Having worked for a lawn and turf care manufacturer, they have very sophisticated warranty and tracking systems (always register your product).

Having said that, you are now in a bit of a catch 22 situation. Your mower, through no fault of your own, may be too long to cut with your machine. Bear this in mind as using the product beyond its specification will put you beyond the warranty.

http://www.castelgarden.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Castelgarden are imported by Doyles, Dublin Road castlecomer.

http://www.doylesgroup.com/contact/emailform.htm

They will probably look after you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

maxer68 wrote: »
    Castelgarden are imported by Doyles, Dublin Road castlecomer.

http://www.doylesgroup.com/contact/emailform.htm

They will probably look after you.

Thanks for that info. I tried to find who imported Castelgarden but I just found an Italian contact number. Will give Doyles a ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

aujopimur wrote: »

How about making a helpful suggestion? Please take the time to read the forum charter. An action such as you describe could be construed as harassment and result in a visit from the Gardaí.

dudara

Advertisement