Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where would I get heavy duty needle & thread?

Options
  • 01-06-2011 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Need to do a temp fix on a cover I have, so need to try and get some strong thread and a suitable needle. Nothing major, but something stronger than normal thread you'd use for clothes.

Anyone got an idea where i'd get these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

A shop

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

D1stant wrote: »
    A shop

Congrats, you're the first person to make it on my ignore list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

John I got heavy duty needle and extra strong thread in Hickey's, top floor in Eyre Square shopping centre.

Needed it to do a tear in carpet, and it worked perfectly.

(I picked up the needle rated to do leather, and it worked fine).

All for less than €4.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Savin

you'll find sailmaking thread and needles in galway maritime on merchants road, very strong and durable....

the cheap alternative is dental floss,

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Have a word with Glendy Cullen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

If it's for a weatherpoof covering, dental floss is good as it's already waxed, and is that bit better at keeping out the elements.

Wow, some excellent tips there!

Got sorted with a bit of oul needle and thread from Anthony Ryan's - it'll do as a temp fix for the weekend.

Thanks folks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

As Robbo mentioned, you could try Glendy for a proper repair if it's tarp or sail. He has Cullen Sailmakers above Auto Electrical Concepts, 7 Royal Rock Estate, Ballybane (opposite Eastern Electrical/McDonaghs).

If it's PVC or something similar, you could try Des Sherlock out in Coldwood; he makes things like the sidings for trucks.

Hi Fey,
    It was just a temp repair I was looking for. The cover is destroyed tbh, I just needed something to last me the weekend.

As the cover is made in bulk in South Africa, it's cheaper for me to just order there from template rather than have one made locally.

Thanks for the info all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I find it's never any harm to price locally anyway; sometimes you can get a nice surprise!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭leopardus

You could try giving Galway maritime a call, on Merchant's Road.

Advertisement