Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decking oil/stain

Options
  • 01-06-2011 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭

So following on from my thread a few weeks ago we've gone ahead and had decking put in in our garden. It'll hopefully be finished this evening and we want to make sure we 'treat' it properly from the start to keep it looking well. At the moment its just bare boards with the kind of greeny look to them.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on what we should be doing with it now for weatherproofing, staining etc and any products you would recommend? I'm not sure what colour we should stain it so suggestions on that would be great too! Has anyone used the special brushes you can get for staining it - like a map but with grooves on the head of it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Sedum and Sage

sillysocks wrote: »
    So following on from my thread a few weeks ago we've gone ahead and had decking put in in our garden. It'll hopefully be finished this evening and we want to make sure we 'treat' it properly from the start to keep it looking well. At the moment its just bare boards with the kind of greeny look to them.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on what we should be doing with it now for weatherproofing, staining etc and any products you would recommend? I'm not sure what colour we should stain it so suggestions on that would be great too! Has anyone used the special brushes you can get for staining it - like a map but with grooves on the head of it?

Thanks!

Well done! We used Ronseal 'Natural cedar' decking oil, it's a sort of reddy-brown. We used a block brush, not sure what exactly it's meant for but it seems ideal for applying the oil. We usually apply 1 or 2 coats a year, seems to keep it from getting slippy in the winter. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

I use clear oil. I use a sprayer once a year . Brings it up a treat !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Thanks, like the sound of the red-brown, that's what colour the frame under the decking is and I liked the colour of that when it was going in.

Have a handrail and quite a few spindles to do as well so maybe a sprayer is a good idea, hadn't thought of that.
    We're getting 25 metres of fencing put in too and that might need spraying too so might get both jobs done at once!

Advertisement