Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion Problem

Options
  • 01-06-2011 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi lads,

Got a call from a neighbour who has recently moved in a few doors up and heard i was an apprentice electrician. She put on immersion for first time yesterday and two hours later no hot water.

I opened up switch first and no problems there. opened up the element and found this:
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/455421/161310.jpg

Isn't there meant to be a thermostat in there? Is it just as simple as getting a replacement thermostat and connecting the two loose wires? ie. brown and blue.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Your link is not bringing up any photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Longjohn18

Thanks for that Robbie. Should be up there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

Yes there should be a thermostat down through that hole. Get one in the wholesalers and those wires that are not connected to anything there will connect straight into the 2 terminals on the thermostat.

Yea a stat for a single stat immersion, 2 wires into it, and thats it. I assume you have the cover for the immersion too, as you said you opened it up? It will need that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Someone obviously took it out and forgot/didnt bother to put one back.Should work if one is reinstalled, maybe.I thought you should know this anyway, if you are an apprentice OP;):p.

• Advertisement

Whats them two other terminals with the bridge between them for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

neutral link between the ends of the bath and sink element

jimmyw wrote: »
    Someone obviously took it out and forgot/didnt bother to put one back.Should work if one is reinstalled, maybe.I thought you should know this anyway, if you are an apprentice OP;):p.

At what stage of being an apprentice should an apprentice know everything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Longjohn18

Thanks for that lads, especially you Jimmy! I do have the cover and nut Robbie . Cheers again for that.

robbie7730 wrote: »

HELLO! did I say one should know everything? Seems some people dont have a sense of humour
    Longjohn18 wrote: »
    Thanks for that lads, especially you Jimmy! I do have the cover and nut Robbie . Cheers again for that.

No problem, glad to be of service:)

• Advertisement

jimmyw wrote: »
    HELLO! did I say one should know everything? Seems some people dont have a sense of humour

Sack me? I made the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Have you never heard of a qualified apprentice? One who (thinks he) knows everything?
    I used to get accused of that daily!

SparKing wrote: »
    Have you never heard of a qualified apprentice? One who (thinks he) knows everything?
    I used to get accused of that daily!

I got accused of knowing nothing, im used to it now though, so i dont mind.

Advertisement