Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porch Light Not Working

Options
  • 01-06-2011 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭

The light outside my porch isn't working.

It's a very basic (quite old) globe light fitting with just a live and neutral connection.
    I have replaced the electrical bit of the fitting and changed the light switch, but the light still won't go on.

I have 230V at the fitting, so I'm a little bit baffled as to what is going on.
    The light is on the upstairs lighting circuit and all of the other lights on the circuit are working perfectly.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

How did you confirm you have 230v at the fitting? Phase tester? If so, that wont tell you a lot, except it possibly could be a neutral problem. To properly test requires a voltmeter to test the voltage from live to neutral.

Were any other lights fitted or changed in the house recently?

Take a close up photo of the connections into the new fitting if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

its obvious but have you tried a bulb that you know that works????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

its obvious but have you tried a bulb that you know that works????

Obvious alright, how did i not think of it:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I got it sorted eventually.

Have no idea how I sorted it, but did anyway.
    Checked all linking connections, changed bulb multiple times, belled all my cables out.

Thanks for the replies.

Advertisement