Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Men's sizes

• 01-06-2011 1:59pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

I tried on a jacket at lunch-time that was a 36 chest and was surprised to find it fit me perfectly, as I'm normally closer to a 38. Now I'm looking at TM Lewin's size chart on their website and the smallest size they have is a 36!

I'm regularly perplexed at how rarely clothing shops accomodate smaller men. I wouldn't even consider myself particularly small, I'm relatively skinny alright but I'm 5'10ish - which is pretty average, yet I'm always shopping for Small/Medium or near the smallest chest sizes. How annoying it is to find shops that are all out of the S and M sizes (yeah, hurhurhur) and have several racks worth of XL, XXL and so on. I know a guy who is 5'4" at most and properly rake thin - and I honestly wonder where he shops. About the only place I've found that makes me feel normal sized is Topman with their XS, XXS and skinny stuff (which makes me feel like a fat bastard, I've tried on skinny trousers in my waist size there and received a particularly graphic visual.)

I noticed I was one of the taller lads at the last beer, so come on guys, out with it! Does anyone find that the smallest sizes are too big? Do I just have a freakishly small rib cage?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

There's a disproportionate amount of large and x large clothing for sale because the fact is that a lot of Irish men are overweight.

Until two years ago I took a 36" waist and wore large shirts/jumpers. Because I'm not naturally large, I always found it hard to buy clothes that fitted well, but there were always lots of large items of clothing for me to try on, so I always got something in the end.

Fast forward to today and I've a 28" waist, and even that is a wee bit loose on me. I take small shirts, t-shirts and jumpers and they fit me very well - when I can find them! River Island has a consistently great selection of small sizes, other shops not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

I tried on a jacket at lunch-time that was a 36 chest and was surprised to find it fit me perfectly, as I'm normally closer to a 38. Now I'm looking at TM Lewin's size chart on their website and the smallest size they have is a 36!

I'm regularly perplexed at how rarely clothing shops accomodate smaller men. I wouldn't even consider myself particularly small, I'm relatively skinny alright but I'm 5'10ish - which is pretty average, yet I'm always shopping for Small/Medium or near the smallest chest sizes. How annoying it is to find shops that are all out of the S and M sizes (yeah, hurhurhur) and have several racks worth of XL, XXL and so on. I know a guy who is 5'4" at most and properly rake thin - and I honestly wonder where he shops. About the only place I've found that makes me feel normal sized is Topman with their XS, XXS and skinny stuff (which makes me feel like a fat bastard, I've tried on skinny trousers in my waist size there and received a particularly graphic visual.)

I noticed I was one of the taller lads at the last beer, so come on guys, out with it! Does anyone find that the smallest sizes are too big? Do I just have a freakishly small rib cage?

No, Irish men (and I'm not being horrible here) tend to be shortish and broad built. I think the official average height for an Irish man is supposed to be almost 5'10" (your height) but from casual observation I'd say it's closer to 5'7". According to some reports a fair proportion of Irish men are overweight into the bargain (I'm sure an equal proportion of Irish women are overweight too). This means that smaller sizes don't sell that well here so you only get them in very trendy shops like Topman.

Try shopping in outlets like Kildare Village, sometimes the men's shops there stock small sizes that haven't sold. You might get a good bargain as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Emme wrote: »
    ) but from casual observation I'd say it's closer to 5'7".

Interesting. I'm 5'7" and I have to say, while there are many men the same height as me, many more are taller. I'd say the 5'10" figure is more accurate, but again, this is just casual observation from me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Tremelo wrote: »
    Interesting. I'm 5'7" and I have to say, while there are many men the same height as me, many more are taller. I'd say the 5'10" figure is more accurate, but again, this is just casual observation from me too.

Likewise, I think the average has gone up in the past 15ish years. Most guys my age would be taller than me (not hard I know!).

Finding small clothes can be tricky when shops like Best seem to ignore anybody below medium. But there are still plenty of places that cater for smaller sizes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I have a similar experience Pere and in shoes I have everything from a 6 to a 9.

I really am an 8 1/2.

There are a few explanations , with the shoes it is mislabeling and it happens.It may be that its a style normally worn loose.

My guess is it was this or some garment cutters are extra generous when cutting so you can end up with variations in the same size.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I won't even bother getting into my difficulties...

I'm 6'5". :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I'm not quite as tall as Dord but I make up for that in bulk. :o
    I look in envy at the the number of items available on the small to medium racks and then at the single solitary mishapen generic bluegrey 'leasure top' available to me.
    And don't even mention the price hike if you are deemed to be larger then avarage.

I think it's just a matter of perspective - the grass always looks greener etc..

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Goaty I would pay top dollar to see you in a leisure top,I really would.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

OldGoat wrote: »
    I'm not quite as tall as Dord but I make up for that in bulk. :o
    I look in envy at the the number of items available on the small to medium racks and then at the single solitary mishapen generic bluegrey 'leasure top' available to me.
    And don't even mention the price hike if you are deemed to be larger then avarage.

I think it's just a matter of perspective - the grass always looks greener etc..

hah, I was just about to post something similar. I usually go in and wonder why there are so many M and S sizes. I went suit shopping a month or so ago and nothing in Marks&Sparks fit my shoulders, and that was before even contemplating the belly. Then there are brands like Superdry that make an XXL that most would consider a medium.

It really is a case o' that there grass.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

In M&S this afternoon there was only one size 36 dinner jacket out of 5 or 6 racks of the things!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Fewcifur wrote: »
    hah, I was just about to post something similar. I usually go in and wonder why there are so many M and S sizes. I went suit shopping a month or so ago and nothing in Marks&Sparks fit my shoulders, and that was before even contemplating the belly. Then there are brands like Superdry that make an XXL that most would consider a medium.

It really is a case o' that there grass.

I think the truth is that Medium and Large are the most stocked items. Small definitely is not that widely stocked, many shops don't stock small at all. Anybody outside medium and large will find it difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I feel your pain OP, I'm pretty small in height but was a one time very overweight (obese at one time). But I've found that as I've gotten smaller and smaller in the waist, I've actually found it pretty hard to find clothes that fit. I wouldn't be the type to buy what the likes of Topman and River Island have in t-shirts/shirts so I'm kinda stuck in limbo right now.

Advertisement