Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wood pellet bulk storage

• 01-06-2011 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

i am not sure under which subject i should place this. none seemed to be suitable.
    but...

i have an idea that might seem crazy.

i have a good sized garage which currently contains my oil burner. i have an wood pellet stove in my house so i am using both oil and pellet.

my idea is (if it works) amazingly cheap to put together.

why not buy 3 largest size skippy bags. http://skippybag.ie/

these are a very strong but soft flexible rectangular container. normally used for the purpose of waste material.

i could build a wooden frame around the floor i.e. four pieces of wood to form an internal perimeter of the skippy bag. this would remain permenantly. then some uprights forming a frame giving the skippy bag some rigid strength. then some ply wood over the top to create a roof.

i now have a large contained box 6ft x 6ft x 4ft about 2 tonnes. so if i make two or three of these.

i need a 4inch hem lock i think its called that the truck locks on to in order to blow the pellet in. this would be built into the roof of the skippy bag. and the roof can be lifted off once filled and placed on the next bag awaiting filling. ventilation of dust can be done by having a circular hole cut into the roof . with a ventilation tube trailing out a door way or window or whatever .

the only problem i see is in retrieving the pellet for use. i foresee using a bucket of some sort. but what about when the skippy bag is nearing empty . i think it will be difficult to reach into it to get the pellet.

i would appreciate any suggestions or point out any errors i have made in my plan. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tadhgmorris

yes. but as i explained in my post i am talking about constructing a storage unit. storage unit you know. so no carbon being burned and created. i have my burner in the house it is a room and rad and water heater. it creates some co2 which is vented also i have a co2 monitor installed in the house. but thanks for the safety tip

again i am looking for tips on the building of a storage unit for bulk delivery of pellets using an unconventional method of skippy bags with a simple timber frame for rigidity and a wooden cover with holes cut in for the camlock and vent. its that simple but will it work.

Advertisement