Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absolutely mind-boggling incompetence in cork restaurant

Options
  • 01-06-2011 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

So I graduated from secondary school there yesterday and we had everything organised, a deal made with a restaurant for around 70 people for lunch 2 weeks before the event, everyone dressed up well, not one of the people there would be trouble makers.

What happens when we get there? Well the guy who made the deal with them originally goes up half an hour before we are meant to be arriving to make sure everything is alright. They found out then, well or so they say, that it was a leaving cert graduation and that they wouldnt have us? Now I dont know who the guy who organised it was talking to but he was honestly the most inflexible and utterly rude and incompetent "manager" ive ever heard of.

We tried to make deals including keeping everyone who didnt have id/was underage could be on one side without alcohol and everyone one else would be on another side with their alcohol. Anyone trying to take advantage of it thrown out by us, no problems there. But no, not a budge from this "manager". This was a group of student just out of a church from a private school, we aren't the drunk and disorderly types. I just cannot get my head around what the worker was thinking i mean honestly, seventy meals and around 55 people ordering 2-4 drinks a piece while we are there, and he refused? D: and at 3pm on a tuesday afternoon? I still cant figure it out.....

The restaurant in question, since im not going to name names, is on south main on the second floor of a building and well...lets just say combining the next 2 pictures you should get the name yourself -

The first part of this drinks name -
    Captain-Morgan.jpg

and the name of this country -
    United_States_of_America.jpg

combined should give you the name of this restaurant =]

Thankfully, we rang around a few places and within about 15 minutes we had a replacement restaurant that would accomodate 70 people on short notice with deals for us of a lovely meal for 10 euro. Everyone enjoyed their meals, had a great time in a separate area where everyone was free to mingle and talk and everything and had a fabulous time. Thank you very much to Clancys in Cork city for having us.

Thank you for reading =]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Captain Americas is a dump and you were best off not being left in there.

Same happened with a group of my sisters freinds in Soho not so long ago. Booked the tables, only to be refused when they arrived because it was over 23s. This despite the fact they were all 20/21.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

They must be doing great business if they can afford to pull out of a 70-person deal. Don't know why, it's basically a glorified burger joint.

FYI isn't it on South Main Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Cheers, still a bit groggy so mind isn't at 100% =]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Any time I ever went to the place it was jammed with teen's, I always thought that was their target market, Only for the Long Island iced tea I'd never bother with the place.
    You'd think with a group of 70 people the manager would do something to accommodate them.
    Where did you end up going?

Ended up in Clancys who accomodated al of us and gave us good deals on food with about 10 minutes notice =]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

good to hear you got sorted out. Clancys was a far better venue anyways:D First choice is basiclaly on par with eddie rockets IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭dodger50

magicianz wrote: »
    a group of student just out of a church from a private school, we aren't the drunk and disorderly types.
    My goodness, shocking, I never saw a christian from a private school inebriated in all my life!

Obviously ye were badly dealt with here, how did they not realise it was a secondary school group when it was booked?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Look to "inform" those managers above him. I'm sure they will love the idea he is turning down business like this, and in this manner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

That's ridiculous. lost out on a lot of money there!

Nice of Clancys to accommodate ye all on such short notice, always did like their food :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Captain-Morgan.jpg

and the name of this country -
    United_States_of_America.jpg

What? Morgan States? Funny name for restaurant :D

They could have asked you the deal when booking it, sure look if they can afford to tuen down this business and of course future business, then well for them !:eek:
    This was a group of student just out of a church from a private school, we aren't the drunk and disorderly types.

Maybe this is why they didn't want yis !;):p

• Advertisement

dodger50 wrote: »
    My goodness, shocking, I never saw a christian from a private school inebriated in all my life!

Obviously ye were badly dealt with here, how did they not realise it was a secondary school group when it was booked?

Ahh now to be fair most of us arent religious and were just going through the rite of passage for graduating :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

gimmick wrote: »
    Captain Americas is a dump and you were best off not being left in there.

Same happened with a group of my sisters freinds in Soho not so long ago. Booked the tables, only to be refused when they arrived because it was over 23s. This despite the fact they were all 20/21.

There cant pull a pint to save there lifes either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

This was a group of student just out of a church from a private school, we aren't the drunk and disorderly types.

Maybe they were concerned that it was a group of students from a private school? How were they to know that something similar to this wouldn't happen?

Ahh now, a one in a million event that was. If you're going down that road, I suppose you believe that people should have stopped driving after the first accident? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Oh la-de-da, imagine students from a private school being refused service, how dare they.

aujopimur wrote: »
    Oh la-de-da, imagine students from a private school being refused service, how dare they.

Ehm, my apologies for my parents trying to give me the best education they possibly could. I shall give them a stern talking to just for you >.> and the fact that its a private school doesnt matter really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

It is illegal to discriminate based on age in this country. Not sure who you should complain to. My suggestion is just boycott it for the rest of your life. Hurt them in the pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Ehm, my apologies for my parents trying to give me the best education they possibly could.

Us taxpayers have paid for your education, far more then your parents have, no need to thank us.
    and the fact that its a private school doesnt matter really.

Then why did you mention it in your OP?

Us taxpayers have paid for your education, far more then your parents have, no need to thank us.

Yes my parents are also both taxpayers, and i shall be paying tax to our government when I work so no need for us to thank them for your/your offsprings education....

Though im not surprised this has been brought up, you say private school and people assume rich, poncy people who drive around mommy and daddys BMWs. This is a thread about the 2 restaurants involved, nothing else.

Though im not surprised this has been brought up, you say private school and people assume rich, poncy people who drive around mommy and daddys BMWs. This is a thread about the 2 restaurants involved, nothing else.

You're the one who mentioned private schools in this thread, why so?

• Advertisement

You're the one who mentioned private schools in this thread, why so?

Ehm.....okay im sorry, from now on i shall not specify any thing? Ill just re-write this thread saying "Restaurant service bad" just for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

corkcomp wrote: »
    anyone dissing private schools in a thread started to point out poor service in a restaurant is a jealous idiot tbh.

Corrected your last statement

Ehm.....okay im sorry, from now on i shall not specify any thing? Ill just re-write this thread saying "Restaurant service bad" just for you?

Nothing wrong with the thread title, just your implication in your OP that because you're from a private school that ye "aren't the drunk and disorderly types", 17/18 year olds tend to be messy when it comes to drink, doesn't matter what school you're in.
    corkcomp wrote: »
    anyone dissing private schools in a thread started to point out poor service in a restaurant is an idiot tbh.

No one here is dissing private schools, except perhaps aujipomor, but he was just having a laugh, cheer up and untwist your knickers.
    I'm a bit of a saddo

Corrected your last statement for you:pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Hmmm... maybe they taught they were hosting a group of Christians
    rather then a group from Christians and acted like pr1cks as a test of faith to see if you'd forgive them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

ShooterSF wrote: »
    It is illegal to discriminate based on age in this country.

Ever heard of licensing laws?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement