Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleepers - do they need to be treated?

Options
  • 01-06-2011 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

I'm getting some sleepers put in to act as a low wall and I'm guessing these will arrive untreated. Should I put anything onto them to (hopefully) increase their lifespan? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

i doubt it all the oil and whatnot that has been dripping off of trains over the years should have well penetrated the timbers at this stage.
    but if you don't have many to do then why not

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are they reclaimed railway sleepers or new non-reclaimed ones?
    the new ones will be pressure treated, and old ones tend to have been soaked in creosote and tar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Was thinking of buying timber in the size of the sleepers from local timber mill for a bedding area around the perimeter of my garden to put either compost or stone chippings into. Would I need to treat it with anything ? I'd like to stain them obviously but don't wanna be redoing it every couple of months like needs doing with the Ronseal stuff I put on our post and rail.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Was thinking of buying timber in the size of the sleepers from local timber mill for a bedding area around the perimeter of my garden to put either compost or stone chippings into. Would I need to treat it with anything ? I'd like to stain them obviously but don't wanna be redoing it every couple of months like needs doing with the Ronseal stuff I put on our post and rail.

If the mill is supplying you with pressure treated timbers, the only thing you will need to do is treat any cut ends with a preservative like Cuprinol or Protim. If they are not treated, you will need to bring them to a fencing supplier/mill who has a vacuum treatment facility.

Advertisement