Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which on-campus accomodation?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 moppethead

Awesome thanks heaps!! Hahaha yeah they're probably trashed by now:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭supernutrino

Be careful what you wish for with Ovens.
    You may have seriously brain dead room mates who would leave it on too long while ROFL LOL'ing on facebook and only realize its on when they hear that ear splitting fire alarm.

Its happened before.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

I'm pretty sure i'll be in Glenomena #9 next year, looks like it suits me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 capt.caveman

I ended up in Roebuck Castle, anyone have any experiences with it? Also, what does the ensuite have as in tub or shower? I've been trying to find a pic of an ensuite with no luck at all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I ended up in Roebuck Castle, anyone have any experiences with it? Also, what does the ensuite have as in tub or shower? I've been trying to find a pic of an ensuite with no luck at all.

It's the catered one, yes? It is nice. There's 12 that live in an apartment, with a shared kitchen and shared living room (two separate rooms), and each bedroom has an ensuite with a shower, toilet, sink and mirror (no bathtub :P )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 capt.caveman

It's the catered one, yes? It is nice. There's 12 that live in an apartment, with a shared kitchen and shared living room (two separate rooms), and each bedroom has an ensuite with a shower, toilet, sink and mirror (no bathtub :P )

Yeah it's the catered one, I'm just there for a one semester exchange so I figured that would be easier. I hear that I get a private fridge in my room which I'm happy about. Hopefully it will be a good place for parties.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Yeah it's the catered one, I'm just there for a one semester exchange so I figured that would be easier. I hear that I get a private fridge in my room which I'm happy about. Hopefully it will be a good place for parties.

Yea there is a mini fridge in the bedroom, but there's no fridge (or freezer) in the kitchen so the mini fridge is all you have. The kitchen has hobs but doesn't have an oven or grill, but as it's catered it shouldn't be too much of a problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Emzer92

Hoping to study Radiography in September. I'm trying to make a descision between the new houses in Merville and the ones in Glenomena. I'm not a party animal and I hear that the Radiography course is a bit intense, so nothing too loud would be ideal! Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 michellelslai

Hi guys, I'm going on exchange to UCD next year for a semester and I'm planning to stay in one of the dorms in the campus.
    First I'm choosing between en-suite dorm or non-en-suite dorm. I'd like to have my own bathroom in my room but it really is more expensive, right?
    Also, how is the private bathroom in each room? Like, is it so small? Are the shared bathrooms in other dorms much bigger than private bathroom?
    And, between Glenomena and Roebuck Hall, I suppose that Roebuck is more modern, is it true? Overall, which is better?
    Lastly, is dorm guaranteed for international exchange students because I'm so afraid that I wont be able to get a room in dorm...
    Accommodation seems to be very expensive in Dublin, I hope I can find the most suitable dorm.
    Thanks for your opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dave26992

The en suites in the rooms are quite small, however in Belgrove, where the done up apartments have now 4 people to an apartment have a separate bathroom and shower. And in the bathroom there is a bath and toilet. I personally don't see roebuck to be worth the added expense, considering you are going to be living with more people and the living space isn't that much larger. Are you on the waiting list for accommodation?

• Advertisement

Hi Dave,
    Thanks for your reply!!! I'm so glad that I can hear your opinion.
    Well, in fact, I'm going to UCD next academic year so I guess that the accommodation registration hasn't started yet, am I right? It seems to me that accommodation in Dublin is so so expensive!
    You're right that more people will be living in an apartment in Roebuck (6 students I suppose) where the space won't be so much larger. So what about Glenomena, do you personally suggest this (same price as Roebuck indeed)?
    For Belgrove that you've mentioned, does it consist of single bedrooms or 2 students will be sharing a room?
    So, overall, you recommend Belgrove, don't you?
    Oh! And, I'll be coming as a year 3 international exchange student, will Belgrove be suitable if many of the students are freshmen?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭IrishWelshCelt

Merville is probably your best bet, in my experience they have the biggest living space and 2 bathrooms between 4 is grand.

Thanks for the advice.

But for the registration stuff online, how does it work? How should I choose which house, which apartment and which floor...

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dave26992

Its a toss up between belgrove and Merville really, as for glenomena, if you're willing to spend the extra cash its supposed to be quieter, if thats what you want. I would recommend looking into getting on the waiting list. go to the residences site for international students.

Well I think en suite bedroom might be more suitable to me. However, is Glenomena only for 2 semester or 3 semester stay students? Cuz I am only staying in UCD for 1 semester, so am I eligible to apply Glen?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭IrishWelshCelt

Yes, semester 3 is the summer and its optional if you want to stay for it for all students.

Even if I won't take summer courses in the summer semester, I can pay and stay in dorm, do you mean that?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

...and thus it doens't have fires. :cool: like Merville did last year..

I hear the Irish house still managed to make a fire this year without one. Toasters will be the next thing to go.

Is the on campus residence that expensive? I mean I have checked the fees online, like Roebuck Hall costs €3498 for ONE semester. Can barely afford it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Yea its really expensive, and they put prices up by 12% this year

• Advertisement

I couldn't believe the fees were so high... €3489 for a single semester is insane for me (dorm fees in my home university aren't that high). Any subsidy or scholarship might be provided?

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭omicron

I couldn't believe the fees were so high... €3489 for a single semester is insane for me (dorm fees in my home university aren't that high). Any subsidy or scholarship might be provided?

If you get 6 a1's in the leaving you get half of it paid, or if you get a sports scholarship.

Also if you qualify for HEAR I think you get some extra accommodation grant, not sure how it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Belgrove or merville is 2898, blackrock is 2613 if that's any help

I'm an international student and I don't think I'm eligible to apply those scholarships.

Well, I would like to have private bathroom in my bedroom (in Belfield campus), so I'd go for Glenomena or Roebuck and they cost the same... so that €3489 is my only option. And to be honest, €2613 is still not cheap.

Thanks for all your messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

Hi, just wondering how strict they are for not allowing bikes in side. Ive a 3 grand racing bike and amnt too fond of the idea of leaving it out of the apartment. It says theres bike storage but what does that consist of? Im thinking of Belgrove or Merville if i get them

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭omicron

XtotheZ wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering how strict they are for not allowing bikes in side. Ive a 3 grand racing bike and amnt too fond of the idea of leaving it out of the apartment. It says theres bike storage but what does that consist of? Im thinking of Belgrove or Merville if i get them

If you're on the ground floor then you'll be grand bringing it inside to your room, but to be honest I wouldn't bring a 3k bike to Dublin unless you need it for racing or something, get a 2nd hand bike for 100 or so instead, and a good lock.

Don't ever leave a bike in the hall though!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

omicron wrote: »
    If you're on the ground floor then you'll be grand bringing it inside to your room, but to be honest I wouldn't bring a 3k bike to Dublin unless you need it for racing or something, get a 2nd hand bike for 100 or so instead, and a good lock.

Don't ever leave a bike in the hall though!

oh yeah itll just be for racing, ill get a cheap one for getting around. Ok thanks for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

The price of the accommodation is scarily expensive. I'm looking to start as a Mature Freshman in the 15/16 academic year (gonna do access this year) and I'd be looking to stay on campus. But funding it is a nasty. I mean It'd cost a fortune commuting daily and the like, but not in big upfront lump sums like that. Argh. Also trying to work out which accom would be best

Advertisement