Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hematuria & increased creatinine levels..

Options
  • 01-06-2011 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

Have recently developed hematuria and aafter some tests have have also been told I have increased creatinine levels. Urologist said it may be a "leaky kidney" or IGa nephropathy. Has referred me to a nephrologist.

Not really liking the thoughts of renal failure at 29. Have no family history of it.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiennce on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

moved to LTI where you are likely to get more responses.

just a reminder folks not to give medical advice or make suggestions as to possible causes/diagnoses etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭melb

Not liking the fact that you moved it to 'Long Term Illness' as I have no idea if it is a long/short/medium term thing...

See what happens I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

melb how recently is recently and long have you been told you will have to wait to see a nephrologist ? Come to think of it how did you end up seeing a urologist ?

Tbh this isn't the sort of thing to sit on to be honest. If this is something that has come on quite recently, and if you don't have any history that might explain it and you have a long wait to see the nephrologist - you'd nearly be better off going to an A&E (<snip>)

melb how recently is recently and long have you been told you will have to wait to see a nephrologist ? Come to think of it how did you end up seeing a urologist ?

Tbh this isn't the sort of thing to sit on to be honest. If this is something that has come on quite recently, and if you don't have any history that might explain it and you have a long wait to see the nephrologist - you'd nearly be better off going to an A&E (where, with all the E coli stuff going on they will take you very seriously I would imagine and get answers back quick)

Saw a urologist as initially it presented as hematuria. Thought it was a bladder thing-ran some tests, scans, more tests then said its a kidney thing. I'm actually in Melbourne on a WHV at the minute. Urologist looked at my results and said creatinine, leaky kidney, tear, Iga nep and then said I should see a nephrologist. Will take about 10 days to get the appointment-public system and that.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

melb wrote: »
    Saw a urologist as initially it presented as hematuria. Thought it was a bladder thing-ran some tests, scans, more tests then said its a kidney thing. I'm actually in Melbourne on a WHV at the minute. Urologist looked at my results and said creatinine, leaky kidney, tear, Iga nep and then said I should see a nephrologist. Will take about 10 days to get the appointment-public system and that.

Are you 29 now? The risk for end stage renal disease ("renal failure") is a bout 25%, or 25-50% by 20 years in IgA nephropathy (to quote 2 different sources).

So you'll be healthy for a long time yet.

Out of interest, have you had a recent upper respiratory tract infection (tonsilitis, sore throat etc) or gastrointestinal infection (dirrhoea)?

They nephrology guys will probaby do some more blood work to investigate further, and probably a kidney biopsy to confirm.

• Advertisement

Crasp wrote: »
    Are you 29 now? The risk for end stage renal disease ("renal failure") is a bout 25%, or 25-50% by 20 years in IgA nephropathy (to quote 2 different sources).

So you'll be healthy for a long time yet.

Out of interest, have you had a recent upper respiratory tract infection (tonsilitis, sore throat etc) or gastrointestinal infection (dirrhoea)?

They nephrology guys will probaby do some more blood work to investigate further, and probably a kidney biopsy to confirm.

None of those symtoms-though the first doc I went to thought I had some sort of gastro issue as well. Headaches, fatigued, fingers and toes swelled up, generally feeling crap. Worst thing is... looking up symtoms then going 'oh I have those symtoms maybe I have that disease'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

None of those symtoms-though the first doc I went to thought I had some sort of gastro issue as well. Headaches, fatigued, fingers and toes swelled up, generally feeling crap. Worst thing is... looking up symtoms then going 'oh I have those symtoms maybe I have that disease'.

Honestly.
    I don't think this is the place for your thread - you don't even have a diagnosis.
    I think you should have been told "we don't give medical advice here" to be honest because it kind of is medical advise you are looking for.

Honestly I think you should either see your referiing GP again or go to an A&E and thi thread should be closed until you can come back and tell us the diagnosis

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

Every disease has these, so don't be looking up anything based on these symptoms!

swelling could be a kidney thing alright (oedema). tbh it's best not to worry at all until you get a solid diagnosis, haematuria can be a very simple thing too!

But if it i IgA then it there's not much to worry about in the immediate time, the most important things after diagnosis are to control blood pressure and some steroids to treat. It could be worse!

Crasp wrote: »
    Every disease has these, so don't be looking up anything based on these symptoms!

swelling could be a kidney thing alright (oedema). tbh it's best not to worry at all until you get a solid diagnosis, haematuria can be a very simple thing too!

But if it i IgA then it there's not much to worry about in the immediate time, the most important things after diagnosis are to control blood pressure and some steroids to treat. It could be worse!

Yeah am 29-when a urologist tells me he feels its Iga I tend to believe him even though it is not his area of expertise. Only had a quick look at the old searching symtoms before moving away from that.
    After them initally thinking it was a bladder issue I am not happy that I had to go through that cystoscopy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Too much diagnosis/advice guys, sorry. OP when you get a definite diagnosis, come back and we'll see if there's anyone else in the same boat who can tell you how it went for them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement