Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A PS3 or Xbox360 for me and me alone? :-)

Options
  • 01-06-2011 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I know this debate has gone on since the dawn of time (time used loosely) but I'd just like to clarify some things about the two. Mods, please move this if warranted.

Basically, I've just finished college and for the first time have a bit of money on me. Have never been able to afford either console but always keep relatively up to date with new games and what not through my jealous, poor eyes. Finally, my hats going into the ring and I'm going to buy one but I have some questions that I'd like answered or clarified firstly.

Haven't had a console since the PS2 so know little or nothing about these two, never even played them to be honest (my mates aren't really into it) so forgive my amateur, pethetic questions.

Firstly, my game of choice would be single player games, live on my own and always preffered single player games with storylines. I'd obvioulsy like to go online a bit with the likes of COD and all that. Are their benefits or cons of either online systems? Is cost an issue (eg per year)? How do I even connect?!? Do I need a phone line or access to wi-fi? Which console if any is simpler and possibly more importantly, cheaper to hook up? I'm eircom, I imagine that won't be an issue.

Game cost for the moment shouldn't be an issue. I feel I have a lot to catch up on so wil be getting all the games I missed for pittance (GTA IV, Fallout, etc.)

Where's the best place to buy them? I was looking on play.com and from what I gather the prices seem pretty reasonable. If I buy, will there be extra costs associated with HDMI cables and stuff like that?

Also the hard drive size issue to me doesn't seem to be an issue at all. The only thing I'd want it for is for save points in games. I'd have absolutely no need to store movies/music on it. Will the smallest hard drive do me? Does online gaming require more space for any reason?

Basically I'd like to pay a lump sum for a console and pay little or nothing from there on in (obvioulsy not including buying new games). I know these questions have been probably answered to death so I apologise for that but just wanted to get your opinions on not which is better overall but what one would suit me.

I've posted this in the PS forum cause the only thing that I can differ them apart is the controller which as a PS2 player is the one I'm used to. That's it, that's all I know, pathetic I know :o.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

PC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Well since you're already used to the PS2 controller then just go with the PS3. Playing online is free on it, as opposed to paying around 35 euros a year on the Xbox 360. Since you probably won't be playing online a lot, then it would be better to stick with the free option.

Obviously you'll need a broadband connection if you want to play online. If your console doesn't come with an HDMI cable, then they're cheap enough to get anyway. The one's at the €2 shop works for most people. Can't think of any other extras you'd have to buy apart from games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Only took til the first reply...all time best.

Take a bow jet black.

Obviously not used to intelligent debate.

Take a look at the exclusive games that are available to each console and choose whichever appeals to you the most.
    PS3 has free online gaming.
    360 costs ~ €30 per year (great value - don't let this be a deciding factor).
    All PS3s can connect online wirelessly straight out of the box.
    Only the new 360s connect wirelessly - old one require an adaptor.

Big thread in Games section here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67711954

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement