Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best conventional dog collar for SBT/Bull Breed?

• 01-06-2011 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm adopting a lovely little staffie lady in about a months time and I wanted to get my act together and start sorting things out for her so everything will be ready before she arrives :)

I wanted to know if anyone could give me some advice on the best brand/material/fastening traditional collar for an SBT/Bullbreed in general - just for her to have on her in general and during walks. Any recommendations?

I've been looking into a rolled leather one for softness but I don't know where I could get a good quality one for a reasonable price (<€25) as none of the pet shops have them and Im wary of buying blindly online (I like to feel the buckle, check its cast, inspect the riveting etc.). Any personal recommendations?

I'm not a big fan of traditional SBT collars, I dont like a lot of bling on my dog collars :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I doubt you will get a proper rolled leather one for less than 25 yoyos. They are 40 + sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

If you can recommend a good place to get one for £40 then I'd be happy to take a look?
    The most important thing is that she'll be safe, comfortable and that if she ever manages to go missing her collar will be there holding her tag!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I don't like using leather ones because my lot would probably prefer to eat them, I use Ezydog's collars nowadays (don't have bullbreeds though)
    Have no issues with them, they seem comfy to them and have a separate little loop for tags. No lost tags since I started using them either :o
    http://www.ezydoguk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=25&zenid=tvfr6gvqdvvc64q58ae465sfb6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Try this person. They make mostly horse stuff but ive got him to make me collars before. The leather is fantastic quality and will last forever.

http://www.declanclancysaddlery.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

My recommendation, and going on my own experience is to go for a soft harness.

I've a female Staff (Ruby) and no matter what collar I've tried she's been able to pull out of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TaraR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

Evilmonkee; I too prefer a nice, plain, tan bridle leather harness on a Bulldog. None of this 'S & M / Bondage Look' rubbish. The more black leather and brass? More often the more crap quality.

If ye mind's made up on a collar though? That's easy.

Check out the Best in the World:

http://www.blockydogs.com/index.htm

Or here's the Best in Europe:

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/html/links/advertisers/dog-collars.html

This is just my own personal opinion, of course. But, I can tell ye that a Lot of Very Serious 'Dog People' agree with me. This stuff isn't 'cheap'. But, nor is it crap. It'll never let you ~ or ye Dog ~ down.

I'm also talking from personal experience of both these Makers gear and decades of Bulldog ownership :)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CL32

As much as I'm ashamed to say it, my OH ordered from this crowd for my girls first birthday..

http://californiacollarco.com/

In fairness it was a beautiful collar but, like all real leather, it doesn't like a couple of days learning to swim at the beach.

Can't wait to see what she gets for her second birthday seeing as that collar was a lot more expensive than my Chelsea mug and matching mouse mat.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

WOW thanks everyone! I knew it was going to be hard to decide but I never expected so many great recommendations!
    The last time I bought a collar I just needed a 22inch (GIANT golden retreiver) and nylon so it can stand water.... This is a much bigger undertaking!!!! :D

Thank you so much for all your help!

Makikomi and Ditch : Thanks for your suggestions about a harness for walks, I had'nt even thought of using anything but a collar!
    Could you give any recommendations for a good harness?
    What would be the advantage of a harness over a collar for a dog thats lead trained?
    (I only ever used a harness on a little pom who would nearly choke herself trying to pull)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

evilmonkee wrote: »
    Could you give any recommendations for a good harness?

What would be the advantage of a harness over a collar for a dog thats lead trained?

As I've already stated; Avoid 'Black and Brass Bling' outfits like the plague. That's a clear path to mass produced, cheap, 'foreign' sh!t. Never risk a Dogs life on 'Cheap'.

I've got a couple of nylon harnesses knocking around here somewhere. Relegated to a big box I have, full of old collars, muzzles and such.

They were fine, actually. As far as they went. Little bones or paw prints printed all over them. Made the Dogs look cute and harmless ~ which, of course, they were anyway.

Trouble was; Somebody said hullo to one of my Dogs one day. On a crossing island in the middle of a very fast and busy road. Dog jumped up to lick them ~ and popped straight out of the harness! :eek:

I have waking nightmares about that moment, even now, seven years later. Saying that, said Dog has just wandered through the door ;)

Best harness I ever had was made of natural tan coloured english bridle leather. With sensible, solid brass buckles. Here ye go:

Seb.jpg

Had it made for me. Think the guys name was Curley. Paul Curley? Lancashire. But, that was back in the eighties. I'm sure, with Google, one could soon enough locate a Master Leatherworker. Isn't there a guy down in Dublin?

Advantages over a collar? As Makikomi says; Dog can pull out of a collar. Let me tell ye a plain and simple truth about Bulldogs: They won't take sh!t from other Dogs. Simple as that.

So, if ye bowling down the road, minding ye own business and some idiots cur starts fronting up to ye Dog, there's going to be some 'emotion'.

Ye Dog will be straining towards the other one. That's where these strong, wide collars I've been showing ye come into their own. Dog doesn't choke and the collar doesn't let ye down.

Then, as ye drag ye Dog away, they'll tend not to take their eyes off the other one. Thus they are usually skidding backwards or else looking over their shoulder. This is good.

It's when one of them gets that crafty idea to 'fight' the collar by trying to back out. Their heads are strangely small at such times ....!

Good harness also makes a handy handle. Ye can pick ye Dog up by it. Or even simply haul them up by the lead. Sometimes, getting that Dog off the floor in a split second can be a great relief.

That's been my experience anyway. About forty years of it ;)

Enjoy ye Bulldog. They're little stumps of muscle, wrapped in velvet and filled with love :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement