Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triail Question

• 01-06-2011 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭

Haven't seen many predictions on what it could be.

By far my weakest topic on the Irish course. I do generally know about the story and the characters. And I know the main theme is hypocrisy...it would be nice if something like that came up, but I really don't have a clue what's likely.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards just trying to improve my vocabulary and rely on my own ability to spawn something off the top of my head on the day. It's not ideal but there's no way I'm learning something off by heart and there seems to be a good variety of questions possible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 ShonyBoulders

To be honest, the theme of hypocrisy is pretty much the only prominent theme I can think for An Triail. They might ask a question on certain characters, but you should be able to relate most of them back to hypocrisy, with the exception of the characters who helped Máire (like the girl in the brothel, Máilí).
    But yeah, you probably know this anyway, but just to make sure you cover everything for the theme of hypocrisy, you can discuss the way it manifests in how Máire's mother failed in actually being a mother to her in throwing her out, and how the mother failed to profess the Catholic beliefs she was so keen to keep true to. You could also talk about the social worker who isn't actually very supportive.

I can't see them doing anything too crazy with the questions on this play, it's fairly short and simple so I guess it's all down to relating the question back to what you're comfortable in answering.

P.S. If I'm wrong in anything here, please do correct me, it's been ages since I've revised the play!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

the characters who helped Molly (like the girl in the brothel, I can't remember her name).

Her name is Máilí, Máire is the name of the main character. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 ShonyBoulders

Her name is Máilí, Máire is the name of the main character. :P

Ah cheers! I knew I was doing something wrong! :p
    Better to make the mistake here than in the exam I suppose ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 emzz

with an triail you basically have to relay the plot with reference to the question! write write write! i'm a repeat, did it in both mocks and last years LC 40/40 each time! i have been tipped though, by a friends who's teacher is supposedly good at predicting, to focus on Maire as she hasn't been up since 05 or something like that!;) best of luck!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

emzz wrote: »
    with an triail you basically have to relay the plot with reference to the question! write write write! i'm a repeat, did it in both mocks and last years LC 40/40 each time! i have been tipped though, by a friends who's teacher is supposedly good at predicting, to focus on Maire as she hasn't been up since 05 or something like that!;) best of luck!!

What do you mean by "relay" the plot? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 emzz

_meehan_ wrote: »
    What do you mean by "relay" the plot? :confused:

basically retelling the story while referring to the question! like i didn't know what the question meant last year and i just wrote everything i could! paper two is generally designed for you to show off your knowledge of the texts, or so i'm led to believe;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 lmwell

An apparantly likely question for this year, given to us by our teacher is;
    Ant triail gives us an insight into the system of adoption in Ireland in the 50s. Discuss.

There's likely going to be a character question - which might not refer to a character in the question.. eg. hypocrisy in the play / many rules are broken / etc. So I think if you know Maire and two other CONTRASTING characters very well - Bean Ui Chathasaigh and Maili, for example. Then know the gist of the rest, then you should be ok.

I hope :P

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

they might ask about techniques again this year because it was answered badly last year....

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bad_daze

Well the good news is the an triail question last year was awful,so it'll very likely be a nice question this year.Apparently a character is due up,so i'll be spending most my time looking at them:)

Advertisement