Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bit of advice please

• 01-06-2011 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

hi

I am looking to buy a tablet pc and am using o2s huawei e1752 dongle as my internet connection for my netbook,the tablet pc i was looking to buy does not except this dongle but the seller advised me that i could buy a wireless router and connect the tablet pc to this as a wifi connection?is this possible,i dont know much bout connections and wifi, so if this does work could anyone recommend any routers for me to buy? any advice much appreciated

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Hi Janis..

I see what he's suggesting.. You are basically bypassing the issue of the Huawei device not being compatible directly with the tablet PC, by using a 3G router to share it wirelessly..

Sharing the 3G this way (which is what I do) also has other advantages:
    1. Internet access can be shared to multiple pcs.
    2. It is easier to put the router in the best position to get the best signal (rather than have it hanging off the back of the laptop/pc/tablet).
    3. You dont have to start up the 3G software on your PC when you boot up.. Internet access is available as soon as the PC boots up and connects to the wifi network automatically..

tbh, even if there wasnt an issue with the Huawei connecting direcly to the tablet, I would still suggest getting a 3G router, as it saves a lot of hassle.. the only issue would be if you need to move away from your house and use it somewhere else.. you would then need to bring the 3G router with you..

I use an Edimax nLite 3G-6200n, which I bought in Peats for 80 quid.. It's got bad reviews online generally as being fairly slow and requiring far too many reboots.. But it's cheap and cheerful..

http://www.cnet.com.au/edimax-nlite-3g-6200n-3g-broadband-router-339298798.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭janisjoplin

Hi Janis..

I see what he's suggesting.. You are basically bypassing the issue of the Huawei device not being compatible directly with the tablet PC, by using a 3G router to share it wirelessly..

Sharing the 3G this way (which is what I do) also has other advantages:
    1. Internet access can be shared to multiple pcs.
    2. It is easier to put the router in the best position to get the best signal (rather than have it hanging off the back of the laptop/pc/tablet).
    3. You dont have to start up the 3G software on your PC when you boot up.. Internet access is available as soon as the PC boots up and connects to the wifi network automatically..

tbh, even if there wasnt an issue with the Huawei connecting direcly to the tablet, I would still suggest getting a 3G router, as it saves a lot of hassle.. the only issue would be if you need to move away from your house and use it somewhere else.. you would then need to bring the 3G router with you..

I use an Edimax nLite 3G-6200n, which I bought in Peats for 80 quid.. It's got bad reviews online generally as being fairly slow and requiring far too many reboots.. But it's cheap and cheerful..

http://www.cnet.com.au/edimax-nlite-3g-6200n-3g-broadband-router-339298798.htm

thanks jonathon,that advice is very helpful am gonna look into getting the edimax,thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭big man andy

hi

I am looking to buy a tablet pc and am using o2s huawei e1752 dongle as my internet connection for my netbook,the tablet pc i was looking to buy does not except this dongle but the seller advised me that i could buy a wireless router and connect the tablet pc to this as a wifi connection?is this possible,i dont know much bout connections and wifi, so if this does work could anyone recommend any routers for me to buy? any advice much appreciated

thanks

AFAIK, O2 do a router that accepts the Huawei USB dongle thus giving you WiFi. If you've a bill Broadband it's free (by accepting a new contract), also free as an upgrade for Pay as you go option.

AFAIK, O2 do a router that accepts the Huawei USB dongle thus giving you WiFi. If you've a bill Broadband it's free (by accepting a new contract), also free as an upgrade for Pay as you go option.

thats great,as i am with 02 as a bill pay customer,so will give them a ring now and see what they have,thanks

thats great,as i am with 02 as a bill pay customer,so will give them a ring now and see what they have,thanks

Be handy for wireless printing, i-things and other devices.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

thanks jonathon,that advice is very helpful am gonna look into getting the edimax,thanks again

Just one thing, Janis.. Like I said the Edimax I bought a few years ago, and was one of the first generation of 3G devices, and WAS known for having issues.. I work in IT, so fixing it when it goes wrong is not an issue.. But I'm sure there are more stable devices available now.. maybe somebody could recommend one here?

I would always google a model of router for reviews before purchasing anyway.. No matter what router you are considering, definitely google it first.. ;)

Just one thing, Janis.. Like I said the Edimax I bought a few years ago, and was one of the first generation of 3G devices, and WAS known for having issues.. I work in IT, so fixing it when it goes wrong is not an issue.. But I'm sure there are more stable devices available now.. maybe somebody could recommend one here?

I would always google a model of router for reviews before purchasing anyway.. No matter what router you are considering, definitely google it first.. ;)

ok,i,ll have a look around before i buy one,but if anyone has any suggestions for another router,much appreciated

thanks

no joy with o2,i have 4 months left on my contract and they wouldnt let me renew another contract and advised me it was over a hundred euro to buy their wifi device on a pre pay,so i would have two connections,so it wouldnt be practical for me,but thanks for the response

no joy with o2,i have 4 months left on my contract and they wouldnt let me renew another contract and advised me it was over a hundred euro to buy their wifi device on a pre pay,so i would have two connections,so it wouldnt be practical for me,but thanks for the response

I got one from Vodafone and it's pretty good.

Vote with yer feet!

Advertisement