Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner / Newbie Sticky

• 01-06-2011 4:07pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Starting Out Guide
    A complete guide to learning to drive/ride from start to finish

1. Anyone wanting to drive or ride a motorcycle must first pass the theory test. This consists of passing a multiple choice test based on the Rules of the Road. You must pass with at least 35 correct out of 40.
    2. To apply for the theory test click the link www.dtts.ie. You will need all of your details at hand including your PPS number.
    3. Available material to study for the theory test is the rules of the road handbook and the official driver theory test CD rom available at most good bookshops or online at www.dtts.ie.
    4. You must pass the theory test for the category you want to drive see here.
    5. You may take the theory test from the age of 15 as the certificate lasts for a period of two years.
    6. To apply for you licence after passing the theory test you will need to get an eyesight report from an optician, 2 passport photographs and a fee of €15.00.
    7. You cannot take your driving/riding test until you have had the learner permit for at least 6 months in that category.
    8. Your first permit will be for 2 years. The second permit will be for 1 year and you must apply for you test during this time or you will not be issued with a third.
    9. You must carry your licence with you whenever you are driving or riding by law.
    10. If you let your licence/learner permit lapse for more than 5 years you will need to re-sit the theory test and will be subject to all new rules and regulations brought in since the licence ran out.
    11. If you have a full licence and you let it lapse by over 10 years you must re-sit your driving test also.

Motorcycles (Categories M, A1 & A)

1. With a motorcycle learner permit things are somewhat different as of December 6th 2010. Once passed the theory test you will be issued with a permit that only entitles you to ride on the road with a qualified motorcycle IBT instructor. IBT is a 16 hour Compulsory Basic Training course which you must pass before being allowed on the road alone. There are 4 modules to complete in the IBT syllabus which can be found HERE.
    2. If you are moving up to a different learner permit for example an A1 to an A or an automatic bike to a geared bike you must complete modules 2 & 4 as a conversion course.
    3. Your IBT instructor must be satisfied that you are not a danger to yourself or other road users and you can control your motorcycle correctly before signing off your licence. You can find a list of IBT instructors HERE
    4. You are allowed to ride a motorcycle or scooter up the size of 125cc and no more that 11kw (14.7 bhp) at the age of 16.
    5. AT 18 y/o you can ride a motorcycle or scooter up the power of 25kw/33.5 bhp or with a power to weight ratio not exceeding .16kw per kg
    6. All learner permit holders on a motorcycle or scooter are required by law to display a full size L plate on the front & rear of a Hi-Viz yellow tabard since December 2007.
    7. You must have a valid tax disc fitted to the bike preferably on the left hand side and not fixed to the rear number plate.
    8. There is no NCT as yet for motorcycles and no need to display an insurance disc.
    9. You should always wear a correctly fitted crash helmet (Not Second-hand) and proper motorcycle gloves, jacket, pants & boots.
    10. As a learner permit holder you are not allowed to carry a passenger, ride on the motorways or ride in other countries including Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.
    11. Once you pass you full licence you will be restricted to the same size machine for a further 2 years after the date you apply for your full licence.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

only learning myself, but heres my two cents...

this book...

51FlXxNppFL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

is really good, can be got on amazon

I live in Dublin and I've done lessons with bikesafe.ie
    I'd really recommend him, a few of my friends have gone to him too and have all passed the test since. He does lessons in brittas bay carpark (nice and quiet and has his own bikes) or he can go to you and train on your own bike. Also does CBT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

maameeo wrote: »

I live in Dublin and I've done lessons with bikesafe.ie
    I'd really recommend him, a few of my friends have gone to him too and have all passed the test since. He does lessons in brittas bay carpark (nice and quiet and has his own bikes) or he can go to you and train on your own bike. Also does CBT.

Yeah i used David when i first started out too, then did a pretest with him and passed my Test 1st time with flying colours would defo recommend him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

Some useful info here for the complete beginner; http://www.magireland.org/information-sheets/getting-on-the-road/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭gipi

Quick question, Zascar re Item 8 on your starting out guide.

Is it true that a second learner's permit only lasts a year now? It used to last 2 years (it did in 2008 when I got my 2nd provisional licence as it was called then). I've looked up some websites (citizens information, RSA, Co Council) but the info isn't very clear.

The Learning to Drive forum here on Boards doesn't mention a shorter duration 2nd learner permit, only the 3rd or subsequent permit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

I did my theory test last nov and only just noticed that my prov license that i got has 2006 and 992 on it, so its a second prov!!

i dont know if its a mistake or perhaps i had the A cat ticked on my car prov license.

this happened anyone? is it gona mean i have less time to learn before i *have* to take a test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭navangang

hi just passed my theory test:D..was just wondering what bike should i start out with,was thinking of honda nsr 80,is that a good bike to start out with?got an online quote from quinn insurance of 935€ a year with that bike?.would quinn be the best insurer.im 18 and a male by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

navangang wrote: »
    hi just passed my theory test:D..was just wondering what bike should i start out with,was thinking of honda nsr 80,is that a good bike to start out with?got an online quote from quinn insurance of 935€ a year with that bike?.would quinn be the best insurer.im 18 and a male by the way.
    Quinn will pretty much be the only insurer that'll touch you.

Personally I'd recommend a 125 four stroke bike over the nsr but I know there are plenty here that'll disagree. If you find a nice clean one and you like it go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭navangang

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Quinn will pretty much be the only insurer that'll touch you.

Personally I'd recommend a 125 four stroke bike over the nsr but I know there are plenty here that'll disagree. If you find a nice clean one and you like it go for it.
    i was thinking of getting a suzuki gn 125 but insurance was more then the nsr.what do you think of the nsr?
    http://www.gumtree.ie/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/honda-nsr-80-2004-nsr-80-2000-for-parts/80156163

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭fun.bobby1981

Hey folks,

I'm looking into swapping the car for a bike & I have a relative who has a 06 Fei Ying FY125 with v low mileage. From the little research I've done, I wouldnt have touched a chinese bike with a barge pole, but my uncle reckons that these Fei Yings are pretty good & reliable otherwise he wouldnt be selling them, plus this bike has had 1 owner from new & has 2500 miles on it since 06.

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on this bike.

Also, I just tried to get a quote on Quinn for this bike & I couldnt find teh manufacturer on there.
    Am I going to have bother getting a quote for this bike?

Cheers,
    FB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 baby astrolab

Can someone please clarify. Can you ride a 50cc bike on a car license with no need for addiional testing?

Thanks.

Can you ride a 50cc bike on a car license with no need for addiional testing?

No you can't. Unless your licence includes class M, A1 or A.
    Otherwise you need to apply for one of those classes as if it were a brand new application.

I've just done the Biking theory test & I'm getting an eyesight report this weekend before I can send off my permit application.

I have a full licence for class B, which is basic car licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 baby astrolab

Thanks for the clarification fun.bobby1981

Thanks for the clarification fun.bobby1981

No worries.
    Good luck with the testing.

I would definitely recommend getting the theory book, if you dont already have it, before you book a test. There was a good chunk of the questions that I wasnt 100% sure on in the exam & I only passed by the skin of my teeth, got 35 of 40. 1 more incorrect & I would have failed.

On the plus side, I was able to book my test just a week before the date, so no waiting lists to speak of really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Can someone please clarify. Can you ride a 50cc bike on a car license with no need for addiional testing?

Thanks.

It used to be the case that when you got a full B, you would get a full M (moped) for free. They stopped doing that a few years ago.

Advertisement