Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd Party Details

Options
  • 01-06-2011 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi all- im pitching this in here 'cos i'm not sure if anywhere would be the right area. I received an advert from Sky through the post today. I have no business with Sky at all. I've NEVER bought anything from them and I never knowingly would, so they have obviously received my details (name and address- and possibly further information) from a 3rd party. I was wondering if anybody knows of a way of finding out what company passed my details on or if i have any options of stopping my details being passed to other companies and being deleted from Sky's records.
    Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

They could have got your details through the register of electors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭sendit

There could be any number of ways, register of electors, CSO etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

There is absolutely nothing you can do, nor will they tell you how they got your details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

There is absolutely nothing you can do, nor will they tell you how they got your details.

not true. Under the data protection act you can ask for a copy of all electronic data held on you. If you are not a customer you can ask them to remove you and confirm same. Send them a letter and also cc the Data protection commissioner. Has worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Maybe you were suggested by a "friend". Sky offer gifts to people who wuggest their "friends" that sign up to sky.

I have heard of people suggesting everyone they know without telling them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭rameire

maybe they looked at the phone book, or the label on your bin. or you completed a survey.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Advertisement