Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I paint this?!

• 01-06-2011 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Any suggestions how I can paint the gable wall (above the extension) in the attached pic?

The rest of the house is easily accessible with ladders but I'm a little unsure about this section... the house was last painted 8 years ago while the extension was being built (with no roof) so it was handy to get it done.. now I'm not sure..

Do I need to use scaffolding of some kind, or a lift like this or can it be (safely!) done with a ladder setup?

I thought about using scaffolding against the wall on the left, and to position the ladder on this at a 35-40 degree angle but am not sure about how this would work...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Cherrypicker. Worth the few bob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

You might get a Genie Z45 in the front gate, if not a Genie AB38

Either way you will have to get at it from the front and back as it doesnt look like you can get it from the side as you may only have driving room, and not swing and boom room

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Get two bits of 10" plank ........ one 3' long and the other about 10"/12". Screw these together at right angles. Then attach these to the top of a 10' scaffold board (to form a platform which will be level when the 10' is lying on the slates and abutting the flashing. The bottom of the scaffold board can be safely secured by props from the garden wall. A roofing ladder then can be rested on top of the platform. The same scenario for around the corner. All the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

Thanks for the replies, I think the cherrypicker is the best solution and the one which is least likely to see me either painting the fascia as I fall or falling and cracking my skull!

Thanks

Good choice. Careful of the overhead lines. Hope it goes well.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

Following this thread as somebody asked me a similar question. Any idea of the cost of hiring a cherry-picker in the greater Dublin area? I presume that the hire-company delivers.

Probably looking at about €250 a day ish. €750 per week I think it was, the last time I hired one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Depends on who you use.

With the amount of idle machines out there, you should get one for 200 per day delivered to your door if the hire shop are reasonably close

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Doyles Hire in Tullow, Co. Carlow (dublin 1hr) charge 120 / day for their tow-behind cherry picker - 6m reach.
    For that price you have to collect and return it. Might be an option.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I have done gables like this before. You will need a reasonably long extension ladder and go into your neighbours yard. Then gently lower your ladder on to your extension roof from your neighbours side of the wall. Keep extending your ladder until the top is touching your gable wall,remember to keep the angle of the ladder the same as the roof. eg lying flat on the roof. Make sure you have somebody footing the ladder for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

Did one similar just a few weeks ago in Lucan Wicklow hire 30min from Lucan thats an hour return drive have a tow behind for 120 euro plus vat for the weekend Fri after noon to Mon morning and no pro it will do that from the front and safe too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

tow behinds with drop down legs are notoriously bad to operate. They have level sensors and if the machine isn't level, they stop working.

If you use one of them and slew out with it, chances are it'll flex and fall out of level. Then you'll be stuck as the machine won't go up or down unless you are good at climbing :)

You're better off with something like an Upright AB38 or a Genie equivalent. They're a big weight, and wouldn't have any of these problems.

UprightAB38-ArticulatingBoom2007.jpg

Advertisement