Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAMA request Dry Ski Slope with Ski lifts set for Dublin City Centre?

Options
  • 01-06-2011 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

This is why I love Dublin. I spotted this walking home.

googlemap_dublin8.jpg

You know Redmond's Hill? The Continuation of Wexford Street, just on the junction of Cuffe Street and Kevin Street?

Just beside the traffic lights

IMAG6918.jpg

is this empty space

IMAG6917.jpg

and on that boarding is this sign (full size photo attached)

IMAG6736.jpg

reading

PLAN FOR APPLICATION

For Development at this location - Redmond's Hill, Dublin 2

The development will consist of DRY SKI SLOPE LEISURE COMPLEX comprising following

(a) Dry Ski Slope

(b) Ski Lifts

(c) Equipment Hire

(d) Licensed Café and Bar

Development will require construction of several girdered structures to support the Dry Ski Slope and two additional glass domes to house Café and Equiment hire.

Expected completion date May 2012

Please submit all inquiries to the NAMA Development Council.

which is an interesting idea to say the least.

Still, I suppose it would bring employment, tourists and all that jazz to the city centre, eh?

This is at the end of the page...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

So you'd ski out into the street? :confused:

This must be a pisstake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

So you'd ski out into the street? :confused:

This must be a pisstake.

Well the non-standard "planning request" and the photoshop image does give it away abit. Still quite a funny pisstake!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

There should be an application number there on the planning notice to allow people go check it out at City Hall.

I call shenannigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Darragh wrote: »

This[/URL] is at the end of the page...[/SIZE]

-_O can you make that bigger!! I cant read it.

someone's trollin in RL i think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

That looks pretty non-official to me ! I reckon it's a wind up !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

it is june 1st and not april 1st right?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

*arf*
    Nice prank, P.Meemey whomever you are....

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭smackyB

I refer you, Darragh, to the post you made yesterday: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72525694&postcount=40

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Professional Skiers wouldn't even touch that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Ha! It's a piste-take...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Real plans for such a facility in Dublin 15 were turned down as the land it was proposed for was zoned wrong.

http://buckplanning.blogspot.com/2009/03/indoor-ski-resort-given-cold-shoulder.html
    Monday, 16 March 2009
    Indoor ski resort given the cold shoulder
    PLANNING: PLANS FOR a €100 million indoor ski resort and extreme sports centre in Tyrrelstown, Co Dublin have been given the cold shoulder by planners at Fingal County Council.

Dubbed “Snowtopia” by its promoters, the plans features two indoor ski slopes, Ireland’s first indoor ice-climbing area, a separate rock-climbing facility, as well as shops, paintball centre, cafés, restaurants and a cinema.

Refusing permission, planners at Fingal County Council said the ski resort would be “prejudicial” to the possible future expansion of a neighbouring pharmaceutical company.

The scheme’s cinema, according to planners, would also adversely impact on a cinema in the Blanchardstown centre.

Planners also stated that the scheme would lead to the creation of an unsustainable car-dependent development.

Expressing disappointment at the decision, developer Rick Larkin of Twinlite has vowed to appeal the decision to An Bord Pleanála.

Twinlite, responsible for the 2,000-unit Tyrrelstown scheme in north Dublin, had hoped to open the centre in the winter of 2010. They say the scheme will provide employment for over 1,000 people.

The main objectors to the scheme were the IDA, Bristol-Myers Squibb pharmaceutical company, and UCI Cinemas who operate a facility in Blanchardstown.

When the scheme was first unveiled last December Twinlite said it expected up to 1.5 million visitors a year to the development.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

*sniff, sniff* I smell bull****.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Darragh wrote: »

This is at the end of the page...

Could you tell us what that says? Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I was only thinking recently that it would be a laugh to put up a series of fake planning applications all round the city.

I was going to look for planning for a petting zoo containing Koala's and Penguins in the little area beside the National Museum, and would look for permission for the erection of a 20 foot tall statue of Joe Dolan to stand behind Jim Larkin on O'Connell Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

darkman2 wrote: »
    Could you tell us what that says? Ta.

Sorry that's my fault - the photo is here

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-faj4p_AazK8/TeZP7ncTKII/AAAAAAADXBc/U5FAPxAKv-g/s800/IMAG6737.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

NAMA dont own that land.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

Wasnt that building due to replace kevin st garda station? think the opw own it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

classic, though in fairness they could have done a better job with the application page to make it look more "legit" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I call shenannigans.

He/she answered.. :pac:

shananigans.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

indeed he did!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

at first i thanked because it was a great idea, then i unthanked when i saw it was a ruse but then i thanked again because it was a good ruse at that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

There is more than one of these. The Dublin blog Come Here to Me posted one up yesterday where there was a planning application for a Zeppelin Port. Haha. Check it out:
    Dublin Zeppelin Port Planning Application

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

There is more than one of these. The Dublin blog Come Here to Me posted one up yesterday where there was a planning application for a Zeppelin Port. Haha. Check it out:
    Dublin Zeppelin Port Planning Application

Now THAT'S a good idea!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

There should be an application number there on the planning notice to allow people go check it out at City Hall.

I call shenannigans.

while i agree on the shenannigans end, a planning reference number is not assigned to a planning application until it is received and validated at the City Council. The site notice has to be up prior to the application beng lodged so hence a reference number can not be displayed on the site notice.

anyway, all pointless as its a joke :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

walked past it last night. the notice is gone. thought i'd impress my friends with this amazing story. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Has anyone noticed any more? Probably more than just 2 around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Good to see work has started there on a Tesco store.

http://www.walsh-associates.ie/category/proj/retail/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Good to see work has started there on a Tesco store.

http://www.walsh-associates.ie/category/proj/retail/

They're becoming like Starbucks in the States, there's another one near the Bleeding Horse which must be only 300 metres away!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

They're becoming like Starbucks in the States, there's another one near the Bleeding Horse which must be only 300 metres away!

That's a horrible little Tesco Express, hopefully this one will be nearer a 'real' supermarket size.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Xxxxxx

Advertisement