Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rent in oz

Options
  • 01-06-2011 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

hey guys,
    would $300 per week be enough to rent an apartment for 2 or 3 weeks? im going with a young child so hostels are not going to work and i dont want a hotel as i would like to be able to cook healthy stuff for the child and eating out 3 times a day for 2 people would rob me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Paige Turner

Not sure what dates you are travelling or what part of Australia you are visiting, but having travelled around Australia for the past few months, I would imagine you would find it hard to find a short term apartment for that price. Most apartments we looked at averaged $90 per night - we usually just stayed in a private double in a backpackers/YHA.

Not1night.com.au is a good website to look at as you can set it to apartments and the more nights you book, it will often discount the price per night.

Here are examples of 3 weeks in Melbourne and Sydney:

http://www.not1night.com.au/index.php?page=Customer:AvailabilityPage&aDay=02&aMonth=07&aYear=2011&nights=21&countryid=1&regionid=1&subregionid=0&property_types=3&max_guests=2&mini_star=0.0&avail_check=1&sort_by=0&current_pageno=1

http://www.not1night.com.au/?page=Customer:AvailabilityPage&countryid=1&regionid=2&subregionid=0&aDay=2&aMonth=7&aYear=2011&nights=21

The cheapest seems to be approx $80 per night.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭annacanna

thanks
    its brisbane im going to (hopefully) in march or maybe april dependig on how expensive the flights are that time of year. the heat will be a factor aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Unlikely for $300 unless it's a crack den.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭annacanna

ballooba wrote: »
    Unlikely for $300 unless it's a crack den.

thanks haha!
    was kind of trying to work out a way of affording this holiday without taking out a small loan, i have a load of friends out there that id love to see!
    ive looked at the gumtree brisbane short lets and there seems to be afew around $300 but it seems that these arnt holiday rentals more like sublets which i know nothing about

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

annacanna wrote: »
    thanks haha!
    was kind of trying to work out a way of affording this holiday without taking out a small loan, i have a load of friends out there that id love to see!
    ive looked at the gumtree brisbane short lets and there seems to be afew around $300 but it seems that these arnt holiday rentals more like sublets which i know nothing about
    I wouldn't necessarily rule them out. Check out couch surfing and hostels too. I don't think you'd get much in terms of your own place for $300 a week for a long term let to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

$300 is very cheap alright, though there are a good few houses in Sydney that offer you a room with shared kitchen and bathroom facilities. I think the minimum you can rent a room for is a week. Am pretty sure Brisbane would have something along the same lines

How about bunking in with those friends?.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

You might find a cheap motel that can arrange something for you. A lot of those have cooking facilities in room. However usually you are looking at about 60 a night, however if you are sticking in the same place for three weeks in a quiet season there would be no harm in giving them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭TKline

Feelgood wrote: »
    $300 is very cheap alright, though there are a good few houses in Sydney that offer you a room with shared kitchen and bathroom facilities. I think the minimum you can rent a room for is a week. Am pretty sure Brisbane would have something along the same lines

How about bunking in with those friends?.

Isn't it crazy that we've been conditioned to think $300 per week is cheap. That's almost 16 grand a year. How long would you need to save to put away 16 big ones?

In most other developed countries, accommodation can be rented for much lower prices. And don't get me started on house prices... the bottom line here is that Australian housing affordability is simply outrageous and getting worse every year.

House prices and rents have inflated beyond all reasonable levels and somethings got to give. Just google Australian Housing Bubble, or read some of Steve Keen's work to get an idea how bad things really are.

I'm expecting house prices to take a major dive within the next two years. A 40% fall is not out of the question, and if house prices fall, so too will rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

TKline wrote: »
    I'm expecting house prices to take a major dive within the next two years. A 40% fall is not out of the question, and if house prices fall, so too will rents.

Umm and wages fall, unemployment goes up and probably immigration halted.

Try paying a reduced rent with no job.

Just a thought

Advertisement