Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I was looking forward to my first proper spin this morning since I got the bike back repaired. Thought better fill up before i leave, so popped into the local petrol station - but I could not open my fuel tank. Tried for ages, but realised that when the bike was repaired a new ignition was put in it, and I think I got a new key also, and this one won't open the dam tank lol! Mechanic must have forgot it. I'll get it sorted next week but I'm pissed I missed the spin and just glad I did not get stranded somewhere with no enough fuel to get home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Sure you can come for a spin with us next Sunday m8 we always out and about. Might head down Carlow way to Blu3 for a roadhouse burger YOM YOM YOM!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

kaimera wrote: »
    freezing.

Like my fingers were nearly blue when I got to work. didn't even feel the hot water in the showers :(

Buy a cheap set of heated inserts on ebay.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/New-Motorcycle-Warm-Heat-Heated-Grip-Kit-Pads-For-Motorcycle-Handlebars-12V-/200810106756?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2ec1370f84

If you are buying them, buy two. The second set is the replace the trigger if it gets rusted. Mine is rusted so I need to replace it or paint it. Or you could keep it oiled or sprayed with something.. bah effort!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

bleh.

herself is having some sort of electrical issues.

something is draining her battery when the bike is off.

she had to take my battery yesterday and today while i have hers on charge.

then i realised that the screws for my battery are about 5mm shorter than what she has and thats why my battery has been coming loose.

ffs.

so still need to figure what's draining her battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

bleh.

herself is having some sort of electrical issues.

something is draining her battery when the bike is off.

she had to take my battery yesterday and today while i have hers on charge.

then i realised that the screws for my battery are about 5mm shorter than what she has and thats why my battery has been coming loose.

ffs.

so still need to figure what's draining her battery.

Any accessories like an alarm, heated grips or additional lights? Are you sure it isn't that the alternator isn't charging properly? Will it run after you disconnect the battery? My brother has a Shadow 1100 and just yesterday he found the + battery lead earthing on the frame. Battery was completely knackered. It was more of a one off incident but hell, it might be a first step.

You're lucky you both have the same bike!!

• Advertisement

Battery is charging alright but the charge just ends up being eaten by something. Like she'd go for spin, turn off, try turn on and nothing.

I think it could be the alarm myself (pos)

She has heated grips that I only fused up a few months back but she had battery issues when they weren't connected too.

Got a brand new battery as well so not that.

Usually I can put her battery into mine and start mine with it (my has nothing extra on it and really wouldn't draw that much juice) but she was pretty dead yday when I got to it.

Trying to source a electrical issue is beyond me. :/

Battery is charging alright but the charge just ends up being eaten by something. Like she'd go for spin, turn off, try turn on and nothing.

I think it could be the alarm myself (pos)

She has heated grips that I only fused up a few months back but she had battery issues when they weren't connected too.

Got a brand new battery as well so not that.

Usually I can put her battery into mine and start mine with it (my has nothing extra on it and really wouldn't draw that much juice) but she was pretty dead yday when I got to it.

Trying to source a electrical issue is beyond me. :/

I'd disconnect the alarm temporarily and give see how you get on. In terms of cages, an unexplained loss if charge is often down to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

cantdecide wrote: »
    Will it run after you disconnect the battery?

:eek: Don't disconnect the battery with the engine running, risk of blowing the CDI box or rec/reg.

Scrap the cap!

cantdecide wrote: »
    I'd disconnect the alarm temporarily and give see how you get on. In terms of cages, an unexplained loss if charge is often down to this.
    hmm..her alarm isn't a case of just disconnecting it.

bit of hardship involved :/

Surely if the alarm was draining the battery it would have been draining it from day one of installation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

wouldnt have thought the alarm would ramp up in drain over time (age). I'd say it might a sign of the battery on the way out..? cold weather has a particularly hard time on batteries

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Surely if the alarm was draining the battery it would have been draining it from day one of installation?
    Wossack wrote: »
    wouldnt have thought the alarm would ramp up in drain over time (age). I'd say it might a sign of the battery on the way out..? cold weather has a particularly hard time on batteries

I'm not claiming to be an expert but I've heard of this happening with cage alarms countless times over the years. Particularly the aftermarket dealer fitted ones. I've owed older cars myself that have had alarms disconnected, or the remnants of aftermarket alarms. It's what I'd be looking at first.

It could be a lose connection or wire somewhere but I really don't fancy tracing wires thru the loom to find a dodgy one :/

In other news, yeaa...weather was a lil dodgy this morning.

Left for work at 0730 - phone said 0 degrees, real feel -8. O.o

Road out of the estate was dicey but sensible driving and not a huge amount of lean and the roads in were fine.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Guys seriously be careful out there in these conditions. Riding in snow and ice is viciously dangerous and should really be avoided at all costs. I know some may not have a car to fall back on but I think your mad to go out with ice and snow and risk an accident.

For the last couple of years since the snow has been here, on this forum and the others there are always lads going “Ah don’t be a pussy its only a bit of snow if you’re a good pilot you’ll have no problem” and then follow the reams of threads will people falling off, breaking their legs and damaging their bikes. Not worth it imo.

Zascar wrote: »
    Guys seriously be careful out there in these conditions. Riding in snow and ice is viciously dangerous and should really be avoided at all costs. I know some may not have a car to fall back on but I think your mad to go out with ice and snow and risk an accident.

For the last couple of years since the snow has been here, on this forum and the others there are always lads going “Ah don’t be a pussy its only a bit of snow if you’re a good pilot you’ll have no problem” and then follow the reams of threads will people falling off, breaking their legs and damaging their bikes. Not worth it imo.
    Unless there is snow on teh ground or a risk of it falling while I'm on the bike, I'm out on teh bike.

Only on my route to work tho; I know it and the dodgy places.

Good pilot or not, snow just sucks.

A few flakes isn't much to worry about. You worry when the temp is below Zero or there is a layer of compacted snow.
    Fingers crossed this cold spell fuks off quicksmart!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

Biggest surprise for riding in the snow for me was when a snow flake flew in thru the half-open visor and landed in my eye, melted and made me partly blind for a few seconds. It was good fun! :)

Roads in the estate in Drogheda were really frozen and I could sense the rear wheel sliding from under me doing just 10-20 kmph. Please do be careful out there..!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

a pox on this ghastly weather!

positron wrote: »
    Biggest surprise for riding in the snow for me was when a snow flake flew in thru the half-open visor and landed in my eye, melted and made me partly blind for a few seconds. It was good fun! :)

Roads in the estate in Drogheda were really frozen and I could sense the rear wheel sliding from under me doing just 10-20 kmph. Please do be careful out there..!!

At them speeds most of the off's happen....silly little things just starting out. Remember tyres will take an age to get warm in this cold especially when crawling along getting to a decent road. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

It's lunch time and -4C here, I don't think the blade will be leaving the shed for a while yet :rolleyes:

At this rate it'll be snowing on the next trackday I've booked, 24th Feb. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

This you?

424173_532489130108768_1826622745_n.jpg

jesus wept that is some ****ty weather.

rain, heavy cross winds.

phone telling me, 3, feels like -8.

jesus wept that is some ****ty weather.

rain, heavy cross winds.

phone telling me, 3, feels like -8.

Shur come to Cork. It's only glorious like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Snow is falling here in Sandyford now. So if it's not falling where you are in Dublin be expecting it.

It's not sticking thankfully but it's still going to be interesting getting home!

The Don wrote: »
    Snow is falling here in Sandyford now. So if it's not falling where you are in Dublin be expecting it.

It's not sticking thankfully but it's still going to be interesting getting home!
    So much for going to look at that TLR tonight...

I'd die on the test drive :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

The Don wrote: »

379386_472190786178539_1518475277_n.jpg

Yesterday I went to get on the bike to bring it to the mechanic to get the petrol tank issue sorted - but the bloody battery was dead! So annoying. No idea if I left ligths on or why it did not start but it had started a few days before. I was going to bring it over today but obviously not going to bother now. Maybe tomorrow if it’s not miserable...

Zascar wrote: »
    Yesterday I went to get on the bike to bring it to the mechanic to get the petrol tank issue sorted - but the bloody battery was dead! So annoying. No idea if I left ligths on or why it did not start but it had started a few days before. I was going to bring it over today but obviously not going to bother now. Maybe tomorrow if it’s not miserable...

I would say the battery had just enough juice to start the bike the other day, and you prolly just left it ticking over, so it was not getting recharged.

Thats what happened to mine, then when I turned it off to restart the battery was too flat.

Get a trickle charger onto it.

She's all charged up now so will fit it this morning and get the bike over to Robbie in MotoTechnic. Looking forward to having it back next week!

• Advertisement

You having a few issues lately arent you....nothing worse. Hope you finally get sorted roll on the summa ;)

Advertisement