Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Are you sure?
    Lovely engine but I have heard a lot of storys about the rotary damper spitting people off and cracking frames.

Ah sure, it'll be a bit of craic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

KamiKazi wrote: »

Is your reak name Davin :eek: :D
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    Nice job cantdecide, what prep and paint did you end up using?

I just went to my local motor factors and they gave me a can of Simoniz high temp exhaust paint. I just followed the can instructions. I wire brushed and sanded the lot first. You need no primer. It just says that the first coat is just a mist. You just have to remember to half heat up the bike and let it cool so it harden's right before you redden the bike.
    maameeo wrote: »
    bf fixed his bike and if gone on a spin... im home with the little one :( not fair! nice, kamikazi...do it!

Nice. Did Denis get everything he needed? Did he do any more tweeks while he was in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

bike to work! \o/
    well thanks to my friend staying over with us and driving with me :D

a scooter over took us... twice, damn im slow!

and my nerves are gone thinking someones gona reverse into my bike outside, spending most of the morn looking out the window!! lol

@cantdecide yep, he spent ALL weekend on it!! and literally just got it working properly at 11pm last night, says its better then before! lol
    and he got leathers for track day but thats all he has atm,
    a one piece, a tight one piece :D

bike to work! \o/
    well thanks to my friend staying over with us and driving with me :D
    a scooter over took us... twice, damn im slow!
    and my nerves are gone thinking someones gona reverse into my bike outside, spending most of the morn looking out the window!! lol

Proud of ya, dawlin' :)
    he spent ALL weekend on it!! and literally just got it working properly at 11pm last night, says its better then before! lol
    and he got leathers for track day but thats all he has atm,
    a one piece, a tight one piece :D

You'll have to put him on a diet :D Glad he's motoring again. Did he get the cast off?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Well done Maameeo, its easy from here on in you won't even be thinking about it in a few days. Keep her between the ditches!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the well dones but im feeling crappy now :(
    lost all my confidence on way home.
    The other half was supposed to come meet me outside work but his bike broke down on way. i had to make my own way to him which wasnt too bad nor too far but i was parked facing the curb and i could not for the life of me turn the bike around, couldnt move it an inch :(

damsel in distress that i was asked a couple of polish builders to help me which was grand but then i stood for what felt like 10mins trying to turn the alarm off! (fob turns the sound off but when you touch the bike it goes off again, im sure theres a nack to it but i havnt found it yet)

so found the bf and went to a friends house, he left his bike there and went pillion with friend, so had someone infront of me and behind me the whole way home in the rain but id lost all confidence, i had a terrible fear id never had before, practically walked the bike around corners coz i was afraid :(

dont see how i can do this when i can move my own bike, im so upset and feel like giving up :'(

dont see how i can do this when i can move my own bike, im so upset and feel like giving up :'(

Don't feel bad. You really are doing well. Everything is new to you at the moment. You have to figure out what you do and don't need to focus on. You will have good days and bad days. When you keep it together on the bad days, which you have done, you become a better rider.

The curb thing was just a rookie error. That's all. What you've learned is that you have to plan forward with regard to parking so you can be sure you can get back out again. You'll remember next time. Try backing the bike up to the curb.

Everyone loses their mojo to some extent in the rain. It changes your entire approach. You reacted perfectly naturally albeit a little over-cautiously. You will figure out what's safe I remember there was a time last year when it hadn't rained in ages and when it finally rained again, I wanted to pull in and call a taxi. You should just stick to dry days for now, is the only advice I can give you.

Keep with it. You're playing a blinder even though you don't realise :)

cantdecide wrote: »
    Don't feel bad. You really are doing well. Everything is new to you at the moment. You have to figure out what you do and don't need to focus on. You will have good days and bad days. When you keep it together on the bad days, which you have done, you become a better rider.

The curb thing was just a rookie error. That's all. What you've learned is that you have to plan forward with regard to parking so you can be sure you can get back out again. You'll remember next time. Try backing the bike up to the curb.

Everyone loses their mojo to some extent in the rain. It changes your entire approach. You reacted perfectly naturally albeit a little over-cautiously. You will figure out what's safe I remember there was a time last year when it hadn't rained in ages and when it finally rained again, I wanted to pull in and call a taxi. You should just stick to dry days for now, is the only advice I can give you.

Keep with it. You're playing a blinder even though you don't realise :)

thanks CD, im just down in the dumps about it. thinking i probably should have got a lighter bike :(
    im gona try practice moving it around the lane behind the house and im gona think about where i park first so ill be able to get out. im gona keep trying but i know theres a chance i might have to go smaller :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

In all fairness Maameeo, you are doing a great job. Everyone of us would have been the same starting off.

I remember after a few months of commuting, coming into dark wet nights, that I'd had enough and had made a mistake in getting the bike. I stuck with it, practised and tried to relax when out and about. Nearly 4 years later and I wouldn't give up the bike for anyone (not even for herself and she's the boss:p)

So, just relax and remember your training. In time you'll be able to look back and laugh at this.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Don't worry I remember in the first few weeks scaring the crap out of myself and thinking 'maybe this is just not for me' but in a few more weeks you'll be grand. See if you can get out with other riders who can help you, go for some nice gentle runs on good roads with little traffic to get your confidence up. Oh and get more training, it really helps!

• Advertisement

thanks CD, im just down in the dumps about it. thinking i probably should have got a lighter bike :(
    im gona try practice moving it around the lane behind the house and im gona think about where i park first so ill be able to get out. im gona keep trying but i know theres a chance i might have to go smaller :(
    Zascar wrote: »
    get more training, it really helps!

+1

Your trainer will help you with all of this stuff, too.

You're having a bit of a baptism of fire but I wouldn't do anything drastic like changing the bike yet. You won't be a learner forever. You'd be surprised how many different ways there are of shunting a bike around. This is one of these technique-is-better-than-strength situations. If you get used to thinking ahead and work out a way of shunting the bike that you can manage, you'll be thinking back to this thread and smiling sooner than you think. Like the guys above, I remember posting on Biker.ie when I started and keening about my lack of progress and think that biking wasn't for me. It's just perseverance that's required.

Did you lower it yet?

Thanks both of you, good to hear you say you've felt like this before too.

Its hard for me to get out coz ive a daughter (and the family dont know about the bike, they wouldnt be happy :/) so anytime i want to go out i need a babysitter.

And im beginning to feel like a pest to the guys, they arnt gona enjoy a spin with me coz im so slow and need looking after. :/

inchiuvatu lives around the corner and offered to go out with me but im afraid he'll regret it after 5mins :S

ahhhhhh! (silent scream at my desk!)

+1

Your trainer will help you with all of this stuff, too.

You're having a bit of a baptism of fire but I wouldn't do anything drastic like changing the bike yet. You won't be a learner forever. You'd be surprised how many different ways there are of shunting a bike around. This is one of these technique-is-better-than-strength situations. If you get used to thinking ahead and work out a way of shunting the bike that you can manage, you'll be thinking back to this thread and smiling sooner than you think. Like the guys above, I remember posting on Biker.ie when I started and keening about my lack of progress and think that biking wasn't for me. It's just perseverance that's required.

Did you lower it yet?

sorry didnt see your post when i posted.
    nope not lowered yet, need someone to do it and theyve been busy with the broken bike :)

yea i should really get my need 3hour in with dave lyons, i could do with it around now.

wish you lived in dub!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

As Cantdecide said,its down to technique.When i got my Fazer first,it was a struggle to get it up on the centre stand:o and im 5'10" 14st.
    Now its no bother getting my dads Wing up in one hoosch (now theres a heavy f*@&%R of a bike)

...not lowered yet, need someone to do it and theyve been busy with the broken bike...

This must be the tenth time I suggested you give that Denis a clip round the ear but ya- give that Denis a clip round the ear and tell him if he knows what's good for him, he'll have to keep his good lady happy :p
    ...wish you lived in dub!!...

Don't you mean you, like any reasonable person, wished you lived in Cork? Easy mistake to make!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

maameeo, not sure if this helps, but any time i move my bike I leave the side stand down. Sort of gives you the safety net in case you go to drop it.
    We've all dropped bikes. My latest one was about 2 months ago. Just washed it in Donnybrook petrol station, was putting it on the main stand, had all my weight on the lever, bike was about to go up, but my boots were wet, I slipped off the stand and the bike was off balance and went down!
    Actually, should start a thread about stupid ways to drop bikes.

This must be the tenth time I suggested you give that Denis a clip round the ear but ya- give that Denis a clip round the ear and tell him if he knows what's good for him, he'll have to keep his good lady happy :p

Don't you mean you, like any reasonable person, wished you lived in Cork? Easy mistake to make!

i could clip him round the ear till the cows come home but dont think hed be able to do it with his wrist, cast is off but im guessing he'll need to use it hard to lower it?

or is lowering easy? could i do it??

and yes, of course i meant cork, ill live there some day ;)
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    maameeo, not sure if this helps, but any time i move my bike I leave the side stand down. Sort of gives you the safety net in case you go to drop it.
    We've all dropped bikes. My latest one was about 2 months ago. Just washed it in Donnybrook petrol station, was putting it on the main stand, had all my weight on the lever, bike was about to go up, but my boots were wet, I slipped off the stand and the bike was off balance and went down!
    Actually, should start a thread about stupid ways to drop bikes.

thanks pap, yep i do that too :) more afraid of it falling the otherway though!

you should start that thread, if you havnt already >_> havnt looked properly lol
    id already have two stupid ways :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

thanks pap, yep i do that too :) more afraid of it falling the otherway though!
    Keep it leant slightly to the left, that way the only way it can fall is onto the sidestand. If you feel it about to go just try and ease it onto the stand. Remember you own the bike, not the other way around.

This sort of thing will become second nature over time, don't be too worried about it.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Keep it leant slightly to the left, that way the only way it can fall is onto the sidestand. If you feel it about to go just try and ease it onto the stand. Remember you own the bike, not the other way around.

This sort of thing will become second nature over time, don't be too worried about it.

i own it... i likes :)

ahh guys, if you dont post in here more often its gona get pushed to page two and forgotten about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Is anyone going to the Skerries 100 this weekend? A couple of us are thinking of biking up before they close the roads and spending the day there.

The Don wrote: »
    Is anyone going to the Skerries 100 this weekend? A couple of us are thinking of biking up before they close the roads and spending the day there.

which day? i wouldnt be able to bike up but id go with alicia and a picnic!

which day? i wouldnt be able to bike up but id go with alicia and a picnic!

We were thinking Saturday. Tae and sangiches sounds good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

Are the Devils Disciples having there gathering at the Man o' War this weekend ? They changed venue last year and it was a bit of a disaster. Looked up their home page but nothing.

HellsAngel wrote: »
    Are the Devils Disciples having there gathering at the Man o' War this weekend ? They changed venue last year and it was a bit of a disaster. Looked up their home page but nothing.

I've no idea. Sorry.

We were thinking Saturday. Tae and sangiches sounds good :D

hmm, the in-laws might be up friday so sat would be out for us :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Here's mine, someone buy her!

100_0065.jpg

Someone make me an offer, really need her gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

Someone make me an offer, really need her gone!

mybid.gif ?? any interest? could make it a multipack if it's the right bike.

inchiuvatu wrote: »
    mybid.gif ?? any interest? could make it a multipack if it's the right bike.

Oh dear. Had to check my navbar, there!

• Advertisement

any luck kamikazi? surprised you havnt sold it yet!

Advertisement