Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

finishing a course of antibiotics

Options
  • 01-06-2011 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

went to the doc with a chest infection last week and was prescribed augmentin 500 for a week , ive four to go out of 14 but im seriously considering not finishing the course , been very nauseaus , tired and short of breath , net doctor states that theese are all possible ( but rare ) side effects , anyway , is it such a big deal not to finish a course of antibiotics

ps , dont tell me to go back to my GP , doctors charge and unlike doctors , im not made of money or rescession proof for that matter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

If you don't finish out the course and you don't totally kill off the infection then there could be a bit left which will grow resistant to the anti-biotic. Next time you take it, it won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

irishh_bob wrote: »
    went to the doc with a chest infection last week and was prescribed augmentin 500 for a week , ive four to go out of 14 but im seriously considering not finishing the course , been very nauseaus , tired and short of breath , net doctor states that theese are all possible ( but rare ) side effects , anyway , is it such a big deal not to finish a course of antibiotics

ps , dont tell me to go back to my GP , doctors charge and unlike doctors , im not made of money or rescession proof for that matter

Augmentin is a very general antibiotic. You might be allergic to penicillin which is Augmentin.

Just ring your doctor and tell him/her what happen. He/she will probably issue you another prescription for an non-penicillin anti-biotic free of charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Augmentin is a very general antibiotic. You might be allergic to penicillin which is Augmentin.

Just ring your doctor and tell him/her what happen. He/she will probably issue you another prescription for an non-penicillin anti-biotic free of charge.

doctor i saw was at doctor on call , not sure what my GP usually prescribes me , i have asthma so get chest infections at least once per year , could you name a few anti biotics which are often prescribed to treat chest infections , might ring a bell

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

irishh_bob wrote: »
    doctor i saw was at doctor on call , not sure what my GP usually prescribes me , i have asthma so get chest infections at least once per year , could you name a few anti biotics which are often prescribed to treat chest infections , might ring a bell

thanks

Problem is a lot of antibiotics are quoted with their trade names and not the underlying drug.

Klacid (Clarithromycin) is one that is used for respiratory infections and its non penicillin based

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

sorry OP, but you should be well aware of the rule on boards that there is no medical advice permitted.

if you have new or concerning symptoms then you should consult your doctor.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement