Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 weeks pregnant

Options
  • 01-06-2011 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

I am 7 weeks pregnant :rolleyes:. had to go for a scan at 5 weeks cos doc thought it was ectopic cos of some pains. but i have IBS so its hard to tell. they said it looked good. due back for another scan next tue 8th when i will be 8 weeks. very nervous and excited at the same time. i also have nausa all day. any one have any ideas? crackers and ginger biscuits dont really work. just felt like sharing as we are not telling anyone yet. well i might have to tell work due to the all day sick feeling!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Toast and ready salted crisps/hula hoops were great for me. Oven chips for dinner. I could only have soup for lunch up to 12 weeks, the thought of anything else made me gag. Then I couldn't eat it for the rest of the pregnancy as it gave me heartburn.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Quins5

Hey fraggle Congrats!
    Im in the same boat, 8weeks today yipppeeeeee!:D
    Had a scan yesterday and saw the heartbeat so im over the moon. Im still a little cautious as I had a mc b4 xmas at 6/7wks which was devastating.
    Im taking each week at a time and poking my boobs every so often to check they're still tender! :o
    As for nausea, It hits me in waves, during week 4 and 5 I kept coming out in sweats as in on my face, little beads of sweat on my nose etc and needed to sit down, totally weird! The passed 2 wks Iv felt a bit sick on and off during the day but dont actually feel like i wud 'hurl' I have found tho that if I get hungry at all then its all over, i get weak, cranky, dizzy etc so iv been trying to eat little and often to keep something in my stomach at all times :)

Sorry for the long post, its just great to talk to others in the same situation

Best of luck with the nausea x

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Hi
    I found edam cheese and sultanas / raisins helped me with sickness.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MiMi P

Hi Ladies
    First time Mom looking for advice - How did ye get the 8 week scan? I have PCOS and have lower abdominal pain on an almost constant basis the last 2 weeks - no spotting or bleeding. I will be 8 weeks on Sat but my first scan is not until the 21st of June.
    I would feel alot better if I could have scan next week and confirm that all is ok. Congrats to you all - it's the most exciting and terrifying experience of my life so far.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Hi new mum too 6 weeks. I haven't heard anything about getting a scan. Went to doctor after I did home test and she had me fill in some forms. Didn't really give me much info about anything. I haven't heard anything about getting a scan. Is this normal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

MiMi P wrote: »
    Hi Ladies
    First time Mom looking for advice - How did ye get the 8 week scan? I have PCOS and have lower abdominal pain on an almost constant basis the last 2 weeks - no spotting or bleeding. I will be 8 weeks on Sat but my first scan is not until the 21st of June.
    I would feel alot better if I could have scan next week and confirm that all is ok. Congrats to you all - it's the most exciting and terrifying experience of my life so far.:)

8 week scans are rare. I can't speak for the OP, but I'm guessing they're calling her back just to be on the safe side.

Usually you can get an early scan if you've had problems in the passed ie a miscarriage etc. If you think there's a problem that needs urgent attention you can go to the emergency out patients part of your maternity hospital at any stage, or if it's not an emergency you can ring the fetal assessment part of your maternity hospital and see if they can arrange an earlier appointment for you.

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    Hi new mum too 6 weeks. I haven't heard anything about getting a scan. Went to doctor after I did home test and she had me fill in some forms. Didn't really give me much info about anything. I haven't heard anything about getting a scan. Is this normal?

You usually have to book your pregnancy and scans etc with the hospital yourself. Unless it differs in other parts of the country? Have you picked which hospital you're going to? If so give them a buzz and they'll help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

8 week scans are rare. I can't speak for the OP, but I'm guessing they're calling her back just to be on the safe side.

Usually you can get an early scan if you've had problems in the passed ie a miscarriage etc. If you think there's a problem that needs urgent attention you can go to the emergency out patients part of your maternity hospital at any stage, or if it's not an emergency you can ring the fetal assessment part of your maternity hospital and see if they can arrange an earlier appointment for you.

well i had lower abdominal pain and my doc is very thorough and sent me off to the a and e to the early pregnancy assessment unit for a 5 week scan. think im goin back for the 8 weeks scan so they can check everythin is developing normally. if you think you have any problems tell them you want a scan. its def the most exciting and terrifying experience for me. so many emotions!

Quins5 wrote: »
    Hey fraggle Congrats!
    Im in the same boat, 8weeks today yipppeeeeee!:D
    Had a scan yesterday and saw the heartbeat so im over the moon. Im still a little cautious as I had a mc b4 xmas at 6/7wks which was devastating.
    Im taking each week at a time and poking my boobs every so often to check they're still tender! :o
    As for nausea, It hits me in waves, during week 4 and 5 I kept coming out in sweats as in on my face, little beads of sweat on my nose etc and needed to sit down, totally weird! The passed 2 wks Iv felt a bit sick on and off during the day but dont actually feel like i wud 'hurl' I have found tho that if I get hungry at all then its all over, i get weak, cranky, dizzy etc so iv been trying to eat little and often to keep something in my stomach at all times :)

Sorry for the long post, its just great to talk to others in the same situation

Best of luck with the nausea x

its great to hear from someone in the same position. sorry to hear bout the mc. its what im terrified of but im just trying to take it one day at a time. ill be happy come next tue if everythin is fine. its great you could hear the heartbeat. im the same with the nausea now i dont think il hurl but just feel crap. findin it hard to eat little and often but gona try harder. im kind of gone off al food.dont feel like eating but i do cos i know i need to. i know the nausea is a good sign so im takin comfort in that! thanks for the reply. so good to talk to someone who is around the same stage. hope it all goes well for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Hi guys I'm a bit behind ye, only 5 weeks today and I've booked a scan privately (because of 2 miscarriages) with the Merrion for the 17th June. It won't seem real til then.
    My accupuncturist says my body is handling things well, I'm on natural progesterone, I'm tired, with sore boobs, everything is upsetting my tummy and today I just want to cry.
    But despite being terrified of losing (I think this is behind the weepiness) I couldn't be happier, we so want to welcome this baba next Feb :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Marguerite Tonery

Congratulations!!!!!!

barbiegirl wrote: »
    Hi guys I'm a bit behind ye, only 5 weeks today and I've booked a scan privately (because of 2 miscarriages) with the Merrion for the 17th June. It won't seem real til then.
    My accupuncturist says my body is handling things well, I'm on natural progesterone, I'm tired, with sore boobs, everything is upsetting my tummy and today I just want to cry.
    But despite being terrified of losing (I think this is behind the weepiness) I couldn't be happier, we so want to welcome this baba next Feb :-)

awww barbiegirl congratulations, that's brilliant news xxx

Hope everything goes well at the scan xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

You usually have to book your pregnancy and scans etc with the hospital yourself. Unless it differs in other parts of the country? Have you picked which hospital you're going to? If so give them a buzz and they'll help you out.

Thanks I didn't know I had to book myself. I'm a bit annoyed at the doctor she didn't explain anything like that to me.
    I'm going to Sligo hospital so I'll call them. Thanks

I bought but I'm sure it's in the library The Irish Pregnancy Book by Dr Peter Boylan and it explains so much that the doctors just don't have time to

Congratulations! i know kind of how you feel. ive been terrified since i found out cos ive had some pain. its my first baby and we cant wait to welcome our baby in january but im terrified of somethin going wrong. I go for acupuncture aswell. i think its great. im also tired all the time with the upset tummy and im very weepy. whether its a happy or sad thought some tears come!! good luck with your scan. hope it goes wel. its nice to be able to share and see others feel the same way. :)

Congratulations! i know kind of how you feel. ive been terrified since i found out cos ive had some pain. its my first baby and we cant wait to welcome our baby in january but im terrified of somethin going wrong. I go for acupuncture aswell. i think its great. im also tired all the time with the upset tummy and im very weepy. whether its a happy or sad thought some tears come!! good luck with your scan. hope it goes wel. its nice to be able to share and see others feel the same way. :)

I know how you feel and my poor hisband must think I'm loosing it.... I know it's totally irrational to be so worried but that doesn't make it go away. It's just the fear of something going wrong. I think it is also made harder by the fact that you don't have the luxury of chatting with the girls about it. I am tempted to tell some of my friends but I think it is still too early, trying to wait until after the scan. I have to say that these forums are a girls best friend in a situation like this:)

I did another digital test today to check hcg levels and yep it's gone from 1-2 to 2-3 weeks and feel a lot better now :-)

MiMi P wrote: »
    I know how you feel and my poor hisband must think I'm loosing it.... I know it's totally irrational to be so worried but that doesn't make it go away. It's just the fear of something going wrong. I think it is also made harder by the fact that you don't have the luxury of chatting with the girls about it. I am tempted to tell some of my friends but I think it is still too early, trying to wait until after the scan. I have to say that these forums are a girls best friend in a situation like this:)

i know. i feel exactly the way you do. and i know im being irrational but i cant help it. i just want everythin to be fine. i also feel like im neglecting my husband and just want to give out to him about nothing but yet i want him to hug me and make me feel better. im so all over the place!!!

my sister in law just announced an unexpected pregnancy and she is now 14 weeks! she doesnt have the morning sickness or anything. its so hard not to say anything. she is not married and is 22, and my husband was the first to get married and they all expected us to be the first pregnant. now that his sister is they are all saying oh well your off the hook now or when is it your turn. i want to just announce it but cant cos so terrified of somethin going wrong. and her family say to her oh its so good to see you so well. and im sitting there trying to hide the nausea!! obviously im happy for her but prob jealous that she is over the fist hurdle and is in the second trimester.

def think these forums are good to vent and share! good luck with your pregnancy. i have my 8 week scan tomorrow. cant wait. so excited and so nervous. hopin everythin will be ok. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I bought but I'm sure it's in the library The Irish Pregnancy Book by Dr Peter Boylan and it explains so much that the doctors just don't have time to

I have that book too if any of you would like it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Hobbitfeet wrote: »

You might not have a scan until your 20 weeks one depending on the hospital so do not be too disappointed.
    Have you spoken to the hospital and got your booking number etc?

• Advertisement

Yep Red Fraggle and Mimi P it is very scarey. Today I had family lunch with his side, none of whom know as Hubbie doesn't want to say until after the scan. His sister is 4 months and I so wanted to tell them but I guess I may wait. Though maybe my hormoned flooded loss of temper (his mum said some very upsetting things about special needs kids) might have given a clue or at least explain it when they find out :o

Yep Red Fraggle and Mimi P it is very scarey. Today I had family lunch with his side, none of whom know as Hubbie doesn't want to say until after the scan. His sister is 4 months and I so wanted to tell them but I guess I may wait. Though maybe my hormoned flooded loss of temper (his mum said some very upsetting things about special needs kids) might have given a clue or at least explain it when they find out :o

i might have exploded like you. some of my friends have special needs kids and it could happen to anyone. its scary. but its good to know theres a few of us feelin the same way. nice to share when ya cant share with anyone else!

Hi All.

I had my 8 week scan today and i could see the heartbeat!! it was tiny. not sure i could make out the baby but def saw the heartbeat and doc said it was moving too which was a good sign! sooooo excited now but still scared. our baby is due jan friday the 13th. we were married on friday the 13th of august so we are very happy!!!! not due for my next scan now for a few months. gona try stop stressing about things goin wrong now cos its not good for me. i say TRY!! hope you all get good news too. :D

That is brilliant Red Fraggle. If everything is good now you are 99% certain things will be grand :-) Lucky you, I can't wait for mine, but it's another week and a half.

That is brilliant Red Fraggle. If everything is good now you are 99% certain things will be grand :-) Lucky you, I can't wait for mine, but it's another week and a half.

Thanks a million! im very happy now. the next week and a half will prob drag for you but try keep positive. take each day as a positive step forward in your pregnancy. good luck with your scan and i really hope you get good news!!

sending you lots of hugs x :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭deeduck48

congrats to all!!!
    Mimi P, I have PCOS too, i hadnt a clue i was pregnant at first as i often go months without anything happening, then have 2 periods in 1 month! (lovely). I thought i had the flu bug thing that every1 had in Jan but after a few weeks my husband presented me with the pink pregnancy kit when i came in from work and at 6pm it said positive, i couldnt believe it. did 4 more tests, they all were positive. went to doc but couldnt date it so he sent me in to CUMH for an early scan because i also had lower abdominal pain (when dont we PCOS suffers have pain?:P), and it turned out i was 10 weeks!!! :D
    29 weeks at the moment, he referred me to date it and because of the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Quins5

Wow deeduck thats fantastic! finding out at 10 weeks!
    Congrats! :)

deeduck48 wrote: »
    congrats to all!!!
    Mimi P, I have PCOS too, i hadnt a clue i was pregnant at first as i often go months without anything happening, then have 2 periods in 1 month! (lovely). I thought i had the flu bug thing that every1 had in Jan but after a few weeks my husband presented me with the pink pregnancy kit when i came in from work and at 6pm it said positive, i couldnt believe it. did 4 more tests, they all were positive. went to doc but couldnt date it so he sent me in to CUMH for an early scan because i also had lower abdominal pain (when dont we PCOS suffers have pain?:P), and it turned out i was 10 weeks!!! :D
    29 weeks at the moment, he referred me to date it and because of the pain.

Hi DeeDuck, sorry haven't logged in the last few weeks, thrilled for you!!! Just wondering were you treated any differently because you had PCOS?? My doc seems to think it is not a concern for the pregnancy but have read some stuff about getting hormone profiles done etc. Due my first scan next week, can't wait - this has been a tough week.... wrecked in evenings after work and mood is everywhere!!! And I'm seem to be eating for Ireland!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

'grats on the pregnancy! I heard grapefruit juice and sparkling water combined works against morning sickness, sounds disgusting to me though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 linute555

Hi, ladies! I'm into my 8th week and slightly freeking out. I'm so inexperienced and have nobody to ask. Should i go to my GP first or should i just make an appointment with a maternity hospital?!

Advertisement