Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 weeks pregnant

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Hi!
    As far as i know you should go to your G.P first to confirm pregnancy (even though you clearly already know!!) and discuss the different options you have for your care over the next 7 -8 months! You need to decide on a maternity hospital and then whether or not you would like to go private / semie-private / public. Then you need to phone your chosen maternity hospital and book in as soon as you can, as there can be long delays - i.e in ireland you dont really get a 12 week scan....its more like 20 weeks!!
    Not sure if thats any help, hope it is!
    Congratulations and best of luck!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 linute555

Thanks, Dublinlady! I wen to my GP and couldn't be happier. He offered a pre natal care with his clinic: all tests and ultra sounds till week 22. Then he's gonna refer me to a maternity hospital.

Now there's another worry. I'm going with a public care in my city maternity hospital. Have no idea how much that might cost. I rang my insurance company and they said that my plan would cover only some 300 euros. How much more would i have to fork up going public. I'm not looking for a private room or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Public maternity care is all free! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Also, 22 weeks seems very late to be refered to the maternity hospital. you dont need a referal as far as i know- just call them up and book yourself in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

It sounds like combined care, where you do quite a few of our check-ups with GP and only a few with hospital. Maybe call reception and explain which hospital you want to go to and ask do you check yourself in first. That would be the normal way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Naineen

liliq wrote: »
    Also, 22 weeks seems very late to be refered to the maternity hospital. you dont need a referal as far as i know- just call them up and book yourself in!

not in some parts of the country - in Galway, 20 weeks is normal. I tried to call in and make an appointment myself after not having heard anything by week 14, but UCHG requires a letter from the GP (which my GP sent but the hospital claims they never got). Finally got my appointment last week for in 3 weeks' time...

so it does depend on where you are (but once you cross the count border into Galway, you're transported back roughly 40 years anyway...;-P)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭deeduck48

MiMi P wrote: »
    Hi DeeDuck, sorry haven't logged in the last few weeks, thrilled for you!!! Just wondering were you treated any differently because you had PCOS?? My doc seems to think it is not a concern for the pregnancy but have read some stuff about getting hormone profiles done etc. Due my first scan next week, can't wait - this has been a tough week.... wrecked in evenings after work and mood is everywhere!!! And I'm seem to be eating for Ireland!!!:mad:
    Mimi P,
    i wasnt treated any differently by the doctor, except he congratulated us on being so lucky to get preg so quick, despite d PCOS. However, everytime i was in CUMH for a scan, they always spent a few extra minutes looking for cysts. As far as i know from my mother's experience of 3 pregnancies with Holles St. in 78, 81 and 1985, they always told her that a succesful pregnancy that goes to full term sorts out all the PCOS symptoms, since she had my sister in 78, she was always regular, normal amt of pain and no cysts, but it took her 6 yrs to get pregnant with my sister.
    CUMH scan did show that i have a fibroid in my womb but as long as placenta didnt attach to it, i was fine.
    i have been very very very down, and constantly starving, (already reaching for 9th big orange today :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MiMi P

deeduck48 wrote: »
    Mimi P,
    i wasnt treated any differently by the doctor, except he congratulated us on being so lucky to get preg so quick, despite d PCOS. However, everytime i was in CUMH for a scan, they always spent a few extra minutes looking for cysts. As far as i know from my mother's experience of 3 pregnancies with Holles St. in 78, 81 and 1985, they always told her that a succesful pregnancy that goes to full term sorts out all the PCOS symptoms, since she had my sister in 78, she was always regular, normal amt of pain and no cysts, but it took her 6 yrs to get pregnant with my sister.
    CUMH scan did show that i have a fibroid in my womb but as long as placenta didnt attach to it, i was fine.
    i have been very very very down, and constantly starving, (already reaching for 9th big orange today :D)

I was very down last week as well, particularly in the evenings after 8.... fine at work but a nightmare at home for my poor hubbie.... much better since last Friday and looking forward to scan on Tuesday - told my parents today which makes it seem much more real, my appetite is crazy, have to work very hard to bring it back online from tomorrow... up a half a stone already and only ten weeks gone - hope you're feeling more upbeat

Advertisement