Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Council trying to make Cork City a 30kph zone

Options
  • 01-06-2011 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

Pretty much as the title says. Cork's already motorist unfriendly enough, you can't park without getting charged a fortune by one of the Multistoreys (3.20 an hour in any Q Park), or clamped, or towed away - if you're lucky enough to find what little of on street parking that's left.

What's the point of this? Seems to be another grand waste of money and resources. As it stands, you can't even do 15kph down Patrick's Street, let alone 30kph, so the whole thing's academic. Why must the City waste more of our money and time doing something that's just not necessary?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

you think thats bad, theres a stretch of 15km limit in Ballincollig, almost impossible to drive that slowly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Any link?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It's on Laura McGonigle's blog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Does that mean they will be getting rid of the traffic lights?
    If it does I think it's a good idea. 15kph with no lights all the way through would work imo, if not I think PaintDoctor's right in saying it's a waste of money and resources.

Would ir have killed ya to link it? It tends to be the done thing round here when starting threads.

http://lauramcgonigle.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Draft-2011-Speed-Limits-_Bye-Laws__Final_11-April.pdf

Can't really fault any of the suggestions in the document above, most of the day traffic around the city centre is 30kmph-ish anyway.

• Advertisement

I'm on my iPhone, so it probably would have killed me, yes :p

Thanks too for reminding me the way things are done around here. Super helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Paul101

You are right about the speed limit. It is just somebody ticking boxes and makes no sense at all. On the subject of parking the onstreet is not bad value is you get a two hour space and there are lots of them if you watch out. On the multistory the hourly prices are mad but q-park have introduced a reservation service and its only 8 euro for the full day or 3.50 overnight in some of them. Their link is www.q-park.ie and you have to click on the pre-booking banner at the bottom of the page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Would ir have killed ya to link it? It tends to be the done thing round here when starting threads.

come on ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

It wouldn't surprise me to be honest, just look what they've done to the road leaving Rathduff heading towards Cork. A stretch of road that should be 100kph or higher has been reduced to 60kph. Nobody seems to pay the slightest bit of attention to those new speed limits and rightly so - there is just no justifcation at all for that limit on that road.

30kph City zones are unworkable though unless they plan to have Gardai camped out watching every bit of traffic in town.

• Advertisement

No probs, don't mention it.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

DarkJager wrote: »
    It wouldn't surprise me to be honest, just look what they've done to the road leaving Rathduff heading towards Cork. A stretch of road that should be 100kph or higher has been reduced to 60kph. Nobody seems to pay the slightest bit of attention to those new speed limits and rightly so - there is just no justifcation at all for that limit on that road.

I noticed that a few weeks ago. It looked like there had been a lot of resurfacing going on and the contractors forgot to remove the signs (but probably billed the council for it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

cork45 wrote: »
    Does that mean they will be getting rid of the traffic lights?
    If it does I think it's a good idea. 15kph with no lights all the way through would work imo, if not I think PaintDoctor's right in saying it's a waste of money and resources.

There is a serious addiction to traffic lights by city hall so I doubt they will be removed if anything they will probably find a way to install more of the dreadful things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Don't see any problem with this myself. In fact I would go a step further and ban cars from most streets although that probably isn't really possible in Cork.
    The City centre is the place with the most pedestrians in the city so why not limit the speed of car here and make it a more attractive and safer place to get around on foot.
    And why on earth would they remove traffic lights there no matter what the speed limit?

I don't think they'll remove lights TBH, but there's no need for them. People cross wherever they like anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I'd like to see Patrick St pedestrianised, perhaps like Oliver Plunkett St or just completely.
    30kmh zones don't work though. The one in Dublin was/is stupid and pointless.
    Pedestrians would be a lot safer if they just crossed at the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

When we heard about this last year http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65980818 I didn't think it was going to be implemented - very disapointed. Total joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

corkcomp wrote: »
    you think thats bad, theres a stretch of 15km limit in Ballincollig, almost impossible to drive that slowly

Where's that?

As for the zoning, I don't think I'm able to drive anywhere in the city at more than 20 kph except Washington street and maybe the end of the south mall, leaving the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

Bunch of idiots trying to justify their over-paid existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 thehunter

There are people making decisions in the city council that really really havent a clue about the city.
    The city council is a joke the way its run and I include the 'useless' councillors in that as well.
    as for having a 100k pa lord mayor, enough said....:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

its quite clear you are a noob:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

http://lauramcgonigle.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Draft-2011-Speed-Limits-_Bye-Laws__Final_11-April.pdf

Can't really fault any of the suggestions in the document above, most of the day traffic around the city centre is 30kmph-ish anyway.

Looking at the list, half of those streets are pedestrianised! Like Winthrop Street and French Church Street. And the ones that aren't, you'd be hard-pushed to do more than 30km/h anyway unless it was 4.00am. Pointless pen-pushers trying to justify their own existance.

Advertisement