Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire Cert Final Exit

Options
  • 01-06-2011 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Fire Cert-Final Exit Query

How do building control define a final exit?
    I know it is defined in Part B but this is vague.

I am working on a fire cert application for a guesthouse where an exiting external stairs leads into a 6m x 8m courtyard.
    The building has another protected escape stairs leading directly to the street.
    This yard is accessed from the adjacent unit and does not open to the street externally (access is through the adjacent unit).
    The party wall between both will be fire stopped preventing fire spread to the adjacent building.
    If there was a fire the occupants would be 6m away from the boundary of the building away from smoke and flames.

Do you think this is acceptable senario or does the final exit need to be to the street and away from the building?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

approach the local fire officer, sounds tricky too me

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bossanova

thanks Bryan,

she has been contacted, when we will see her is anyone's guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

bossanova wrote: »
    Fire Cert-Final Exit Query

How do building control define a final exit?
    I know it is defined in Part B but this is vague.

I am working on a fire cert application for a guesthouse where an exiting external stairs leads into a 6m x 8m courtyard.
    The building has another protected escape stairs leading directly to the street.
    This yard is accessed from the adjacent unit and does not open to the street externally (access is through the adjacent unit).
    The party wall between both will be fire stopped preventing fire spread to the adjacent building.
    If there was a fire the occupants would be 6m away from the boundary of the building away from smoke and flames.

Do you think this is acceptable senario or does the final exit need to be to the street and away from the building?

is it not defined as "a place of safety"? If they can't get out from the yard then thats not a place of safety. Can they escape from the yard through the adjacent building by way of a push bar ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

not far away enough

no , yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

The final exit has to be to a "place of safety".I don't think 6m could be considered far enough away from a building in the event of a fire. This issue sometimes comes up in town buildings with small closed yards/gardens to the rear.
    Are you within the limits to consider a single route of escape?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Simple answer is no, but there may be mitigating circumstances in your case, I had a similar case with a pub a number of years ago, the pub did however have a right of way through the adjoining building and the doors were geared to allow access, once the publican tried to make the place bigger then he had to find an alternative external route (which he did) before they would even consider granting a firecert.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bossanova

thanks for the replys, i will get in touch with the fire officer.
    We might be able to get away with the single escape route through a protected corridor.

Advertisement