Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motherboad CHoice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Tsukimi wrote: »
    Right so basically I'm building my own computer and I was just wondering what the difference is between:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-p67a-g45-(b3)-intel-p67-s-1155-pci-e-20-(x16)-ddr3-2133-xfire-sata-6gb-s-sata-raid-atx

(MSI P67A-G45 (B3) Intel P67 Express Socket 1155 Motherboard, OC Genie II)

and

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-p8p67-rev3-intel-p67-s1155-pci-e-20-x16-ddr3-2200(oc)-sata-6gb-s-sata-raid-atx

(Asus P8P67 Rev3 Intel P67 Express Socket 1155 Motherboard)

would be?

Would there be many other components that would be compatible with one but not the other? There's a £20 difference and I'm looking to save as much as I can atm so just wondering if there is a difference between the two.

Thanks

TBH, if you're not going into mad overclocking, a motherboard is a motherboard. Go with the MSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Who..there's a big difference. In the form of pci-e slots in xfire/sli mode.

The Asus gives sli/xfire at x4 which just isnt good enough while the MSI gives 2 x8.

There may be more usb's on the ASUS but im not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

jme2010 wrote: »
    Who..there's a big difference. In the form of pci-e slots in xfire/sli mode.

The Asus gives sli/xfire at x4 which just isnt good enough while the MSI gives 2 x8.

There may be more usb's on the ASUS but im not sure.

If you're going to run xfire/SLI, get a decent premium motherboard. As for USB ports, you can always get adapters.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Do you know anything about overclocking? If not, the MSI board would be a good choice, because on the motherboard itself you get a little button that will OC your rig automaticly. Although it won't max out what it could OC to, it's good for someone who doesn't want to be messing around with BIOS Settings to OC their rig.
    My new rig OC's from 3.2GHz to 3.7GHz by just clicking the button, which I thought was a great feature, because I don't know anything about OCing. It will keep your systems max load temp somewhere that won't fry your CPU so you don't have to worry about that

• Registered Users Posts: 15 shanno06

I'm actually building a similar system. I bought the Asus P8P67 Pro Motherboard (Look it up on Amazon) €150. Great motherboard. Great Features and it's Asus. You can't go wrong. I researched it loads and decided on the Asus. At the end of the day for me I'm gonna be keeping this system for the next couple of years so why go cheap on one of the most important parts. I'd go for the Asus and go for the Pro version of the asus if you can afford it.

Regards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

P67 (also Z68) Motherboard feature comparison here: http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/916189-update-official-intel-p6x-motherboard-comparison.html

Personally, I'm seriously considering the MSI P67A-GD53 (B3 version). Reviews have been good and dual (x8) graphics card compatibility for £108 is not bad.

Reviews: [Link], [Link]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

hey guys do you know if the p8p67 pro is still available i have looked on dabs and komplett, they dont stock them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Is there any reason you'd want it over a Z77/Z68 board?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

Is there any reason you'd want it over a Z77/Z68 board?

i have been researching a new motherboard and found the p67 pro, so im looking for new ones. any advice on z77 or z68 would be great.

Important thing to note i will be running SLI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Mister Man wrote: »
    Do you know anything about overclocking? If not, the MSI board would be a good choice, because on the motherboard itself you get a little button that will OC your rig automaticly. Although it won't max out what it could OC to, it's good for someone who doesn't want to be messing around with BIOS Settings to OC their rig.
    You can also auto overclock the Asus MB. Just go go into the EFI BIOS mouse over the system performance, click to overclock and your done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭BillyCom

so I have this one currently selected for my desired build.

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=57624&agid=1601

Any reason I should'nt replace this with something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Good board, get that one :p

Advertisement