Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part Time Job and 5th year + Leaving Cert

• 01-06-2011 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

So I am at the end of Transition Year now and during TY, I took on a few piano students. All together it adds up to about 4 hours teaching per week. I teach on Thursdays, Friday, Sunday and Tuesday for roughly an hour on each of those days. My question is: do any of you think this will pose a problem in 5th year? or 6th year? I am a good student having always gotten A's and B's in higher level subjects...and I will be taking on Higher Level Maths, English, Irish, French, Physics, Biology, Music and Applied Maths next year for LC.
    Would teaching piano affect my studying? Like how much study + homework would you be getting in 5th year? Basically I am freaking out having just finished TY and now I realize that I am back to studying in September. Plus I am scared of some of my subjects...haha :-) And as well as teaching and studying I need time to practice piano because I am on the last grade so that takes up a few hours a week. Thanks for any advice/feedback!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

Yep by the looks of it your going to have to give up your job for 2 years. Especially if you want to take on 8 subjects at higher level. Youl never have the time with the job. If you do you will just work yourself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

!MAVERICK! wrote: »
    Yep by the looks of it your going to have to give up your job for 2 years. Especially if you want to take on 8 subjects at higher level. Youl never have the time with the job. If you do you will just work yourself out.

Even for just 4 hours a week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

It won't cause you problems in 5th year, but it might become an unwelcome interference in 6th year, unless you can flexibly work out the hours for weekends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

4 hours is nothing! Keep it up as you'll need the money for nights out and stuff..!

Maybe you could try and rearrange your Tuesday lesson and take them on Saturday morning? It depends on your school timetable, 7 subjects in school on a Tuesday could mean lots of homework! Either way don't ditch it until Christmas of Leaving Cert at the earliest! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

It's only four hours!! That's absolutely nothing, especially in fifth year. Most people keep on after school activities and EVERYONE has 4 hours in the week where they're not doing anything. I mean, a lot of people spend way more time than that watching TV/on the internet and still have plenty of time for school and homework.

I really don't see why 4 hours out of your week should make your work suffer... at all.

• Advertisement

4 hours is nothing! Keep it up as you'll need the money for nights out and stuff..!

Maybe you could try and rearrange your Tuesday lesson and take them on Saturday morning? It depends on your school timetable, 7 subjects in school on a Tuesday could mean lots of homework! Either way don't ditch it until Christmas of Leaving Cert at the earliest! :)

Thank you...I don't really want to give it up because I'll need money for college fees and stuff...just out of curiosity how much homework do you usually get in 5th year? I've heard some pretty bad things from current 5th years!

Thank you...I don't really want to give it up because I'll need money for college fees and stuff...just out of curiosity how much homework do you usually get in 5th year? I've heard some pretty bad things from current 5th years!

Youl get double the amount in 5th year compared to 6th. And yeh you should be ok teaching 4 hours in fifth year, but not in sixth year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Youl get double the amount in 5th year compared to 6th. And yeh you should be ok teaching 4 hours in fifth year, but not in sixth year.
    Depends really. I have had just as much homework in 6th year, until the Easter period anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please don't judge the amount of work needed to get As and Bs in HL subjects in the LC by that needed in the JC.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Depends really. I have had just as much homework in 6th year, until the Easter period anyway.

This. Ignore what is said about double the homework in 5th year (I've never heard that before!).

It will depend on what topics you're covering in each subject at a particular time. For example, when you're doing the drama in English you won't get much more than writing summaries/note until you've finished it, then you may get an essay a week. Likewise in other subjects topics may be long and there might not be much work your teachers can give until they have finished the topic!

I experienced very little let up in homework at any point in the past 2 years including in the run up to the mocks, the last few weeks, holidays etc.

The whole 2 years is not what it's made out to be. Ignore the over-achievers on here who tell you to start studying from day 1 (there are certain 5th years here who say that even though they haven't even gotten in to Leaving Cert yet!). Just keep up with your homework and notes and study for class tests and house exams. Don't waste your life doing 3 hours study a night in fight year (or even in the start of Leaving Cert).

• Advertisement

This. Ignore what is said about double the homework in 5th year (I've never heard that before!).

What ye mean you never heard that before???? Its common sense and thats what should be done in every school in the country. You learn the material and do sufficient homework in 5th year because you have little or no experience in the subject. And in 6th year you are tested more regularly doing past papers with constant revision.

Whatever way your school carried out your leaving certificate god help you.

God what happened to common sense these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

It should be fine, yeah. I've been working 10 hours a week for past 3 months of 5th year.

What ye mean you never heard that before???? Its common sense and thats what should be done in every school in the country. You learn the material and do sufficient homework in 5th year because you have little or no experience in the subject. And in 6th year you are tested more regularly doing past papers with constant revision.

No it's no common sense. It is your opinion of common sense. Are you an expert in the psychology of how teenagers learn? If not then I don't think you can decide what should be done in every school in the country.

My school carries out the leaving cert in a way that exceeds national averages and is nearly on par with 'grind schools' when it comes to results, so no help needed here thanks! :)

No it's no common sense. It is your opinion of common sense. Are you an expert in the psychology of how teenagers learn? If not then I don't think you can decide what should be done in every school in the country.

My school carries out the leaving cert in a way that exceeds national averages and is nearly on par with 'grind schools' when it comes to results, so no help needed here thanks! :)

It doesn't take a ****ing expert to know what way the LC should be carried out. And yeah right your school comes anyway near what private schools acquire in LC results! 99.9 % of public schools in this country are an absolute joke. And your the kind of quintessential student that attends one.

So sorry to piss on your bonfire but id gather whatever scummy little school you go.. is far from being on 'par' with the top grind schools in the country.

It doesn't take a ****ing expert to know what way the LC should be carried out. And yeah right your school comes anyway near what private schools acquire in LC results! 99.9 % of public schools in this country are an absolute joke. And your the kind of quintessential student that attends one.

So sorry to piss on your bonfire but id gather whatever scummy little school you go.. is far from being on 'par' with the top grind schools in the country.

Well then I consider myself lucky to be a student of one of the .1% of public schools that aren't an absolute joke.

You don't know what results my school achieves year on year and you don't know what type of student I am.

Well then I consider myself lucky to be a student of one of the .1% of public schools that aren't an absolute joke.

You don't know what results my school achieves year on year and you don't know what type of student I am.

I know that your a student with a huge misunderstanding on how the course should be carried out so that should show me where you stand.

If your school achieves 'on par grades' with the top grind schools in the country then spill it out. What do they achieve? Bet you my school will stand higher ten fold compared to what you show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

It's quite un-common, unfortunately.

If it were more common, I wouldn't have to intervene to stop a full-blown argument between two posters as to which of their schools is best, even though neither know who the other is or what school they go to, and have no context whatsoever for their argument.

It doesn't take a ****ing expert to know what way the LC should be carried out. And yeah right your school comes anyway near what private schools acquire in LC results! 99.9 % of public schools in this country are an absolute joke.
    This informed opinion is no doubt based on your PhD in education and years of experience in the field? :p

As an LC student yourself, you are definitely entitled to an opinion, and indeed are in a unique position to offer one, but this kind of OTT statement does your judgement no credit.
    Completely inappropriate comment and aggressive tone. In particular, you have absolutely no right to describe someone else's (unknown) school as a "scummy little school" simply because it doesn't conform exactly to your ideas.

And while you may feel that the benchmark in education is the "top grind schools in the country" many of us would disagree strongly.

I know that your a student with a huge misunderstanding on how the course should be carried out so that should show me where you stand.
    Actually, all you know is that she doesn't agree with *your* opinion ... a very different matter!

Bet you my school will stand higher ten fold compared to what you show.
    Tbh, I don't care.

I genuinely hope that both your schools have provided you with a good all-round education (not just a chance at maximum points, though I'm not saying that's unimportant) and that you both get the courses you want in August.

But that's it.

I know that everyone's nerves are on edge this close to the LC, but that does not give anyone permission to lose the run of themselves.

That is a general warning to everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I think doing a few hours on the weekend would be fine but weekdays, seriously you're only hurting yourself. It will impact on your study.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

Speaking as someone who actually has worked through 5th year (I'm a sixth year now), Ignore these people that tell you you'll fail everything if you spend a few hours making money each week. It's rubbish.

I worked at a fairly demanding job, manual labour and answering phones etc for 8-12 hours a week during 5th year, It didn't impact my study (if you are serious about school then it won't. Simple.) and best of all, the money I earned allowed me to pay for grinds in 6th year that I wouldn't have been able to afford otherwise.

Piano lessons are a great idea for a 5th year. 6th year is another story, you won't have nearly as much time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

if it's only for a few hours it'll be grand... simple as that... just don't watch the x factor afterwards or whatever...

too much worrying goes on about part time jobs during the leaving cert - 5th definetly won't be a problem but maybe for the month or so before the actual exam give it up so you can focus on it...

but stick with it - it'd be fairly stupid to quit seeing as it's only 4 hours...

now if you were finishing school at 4 and then working til 9-10 at night a few days a week that'd be a different story... but basically your work is only for an hour or 2 at the weekends - do you honestly think you'll spend every minute of the weekend studying for 2 years... and if you actually do - well then teaching piano can be your rest break half way through the day or whatever... i'm assuming you enjoy it so it's good for you as well as making the few euros...

stick with it - shouldn't be a problem at all but you'll know yourself anyways and if it is quit - but it won't...

• Advertisement

njd2010 wrote: »
    Speaking as someone who actually has worked through 5th year (I'm a sixth year now)

It feels ages ago but I'm after remembering I used to work loads during 5th year! Tues and Thurs 4-6 and then Saturday 9-6..... I actually did more work in 5th year than this year..!:rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for giving me advice...I think I am gonna keep it up for the time being because as a lot of you have mentioned I might need the money ! Especially if I need to get grinds and I am taking on an extra subject outside school (applied maths) so I am gonna need money for that! I'll see how it goes anyway -- if worst comes to worse I can always give it up! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

Thanks everyone for giving me advice...I think I am gonna keep it up for the time being because as a lot of you have mentioned I might need the money ! Especially if I need to get grinds and I am taking on an extra subject outside school (applied maths) so I am gonna need money for that! I'll see how it goes anyway -- if worst comes to worse I can always give it up! :-)

Good choice. I regret not taking on an extra subject, the problems with being stuck with only 5 honours subjects is something I wish I'd known more about in 4th year... But, hindsight is 20/20 I guess. Good luck, and enjoy- 5th year is the most fun year for a lot of people, since you are old enough to work and (maybe) drink and socialize but without the pressure of 6th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

I worked part-time (2 evenings a week and all day Sat and Sun) all through 4th and 5th year and up to April in 6th year and I got all As and Bs in higher level subjects in my leaving. I hate when teachers try telling you that you won't do aswell in your leaving cert if you have a part-time job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I think doing a few hours on the weekend would be fine but weekdays, seriously you're only hurting yourself. It will impact on your study.

I'm sorry, but 4 hours a week? I know a lot of people who'd easily spend double or triple that on facebook a week, why not earn a bit of cash doing something productive? :S

Advertisement