Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 2: The Grapes of Wrath Single Text

• 01-06-2011 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any predictions on questions for The Grapes of Wrath. I am studying it for my single text and I'm not quite sure on what I should be focusing on.
    Also if you have any link for notes could you send it on. Any help will be welcome. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

I'm doing it for my single text too! Wonder if you're in my class? :p I havent met anyone else doing it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

UL wrote: »
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any predictions on questions for The Grapes of Wrath. I am studying it for my single text and I'm not quite sure on what I should be focusing on.
    Also if you have any link for notes could you send it on. Any help will be welcome. Thanks

Yeah read the play and learn 150 quotes like you should and dont rely on prepared questions to do well. Examiner will punish you for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 UL

Im only going for a C in english and I know its stupid to rely on predictions but I dont have much time left really. Only a week to go :O

LittleMissLost I havent heard of anyone doing it either. Possibly you are in my class :P What areas are you focusing on in the novel? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

I've done no study for English yet :/ but my teacher always says there will be a question on character and theme. Also tecniques of the writer but we didn't focus on that at all.
    I love english an just go with the flow on the day but I think talking about the "world family" and Jim Casy & how his role is swapped to tom at the end and all that. I think the main theme is family and you can talk about how the Joad family grows from one unit to the world unit etc etc..
    I haven't really anything prepared tbh but the couple of quotes I know are:
    (Jim Casy talking about Ma): "Theres a woman so great with love, she scares me"
    (Ma Joad): "use 'ta be the family was fust, now it aint, now anyone is fust"
    ehh I don't know many more but there a few important ones! I dont have my book with me at the moment but if you want me to pick out any really relevant quotes for you just let me know! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

UL wrote: »
    Im only going for a C in english

Why? Why not aim for a B? Don't sell yourself short.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 UL

Only got 50% in the mocks and the only thing ive studied since then is poetry and I haven't studied that very well at all! But I'd love a B! :)

I hope a question comes up on Casy too, or Ma Joad. I think Tom came up last year? Overall its really an easy novel that you can elaborate on anything. Just time is against me at this stage!

Advertisement