Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing and repairing a Sky Box abroad

• 01-06-2011 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

I have been a subscriber to Sky Plus in the Netherlands for 7 - 8 years. The hard disk of my Sky Plus box has finally given up the ghost and I have ordered a replacement HD box from EBAY. It should arrive during the next few days.

How can I change the pairing of my subscription card to the new box? I cannot access the SKY Ireland telephone number from here, but I can dial the SKY UK number on SKYPE and that works. I think that it is the same call centre in the north of England, because I spoke to them before about a billing question.

Will it work if I try to change the pairing via the SKY UK number, tell them that I have got hold of a second hand box and that I do not have a land line? Alternatively can I do this on-line via the "my sky" account?

Advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Simply block your number when phoning them,that way they'll assume your in Ireland and not in Holland.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭georgekildare

I do not seem to be able to access an Irish 0818 number from Holland, but can dial a UK 0800 number. If I do that via SKYPE VOIP, nobody can see where I am based.

I do not seem to be able to access an Irish 0818 number from Holland, but can dial a UK 0800 number. If I do that via SKYPE VOIP, nobody can see where I am based.

That should work,once they can't see where you're phoning from then you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

SKY TV Customer Service
    0818719852 Call Instead – 0044844241152200 or 00441506831609 (this is a UK number, so use on Skype or if you have UK minutes bundles)
    Or Try to Call Instead – 1800812040

This is from saynoto1890.com but it might be possible to dial 00353818719852 instead, just make sure you are hiding your number first.

Very many thanks. I will call UK Sky when the new box arrives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

Whatever you do DO NOT call the main UK Sky office numbers - just use the Irish ones given otherwise Sky will remove your Irish sub, convert it to a UK sub and hey presto, Irish channels lost.

You have to let on you are calling from Ireland and from the home address you originally registered the card with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭swoofer

put the card in first it may just work straight off, I took my spare sky + box to a neighbour and their card worked straight off.

gb--

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    put the card in first it may just work straight off, I took my spare sky + box to a neighbour and their card worked straight off.

gb--

You have to pair the card with the box for the recording to work and to watch the premium channels such as Sky Sports.
    As I said before,block your number when ringing sky and pretend you are phoning from Ireland when they ask you to confirm your address.

I got my new Sky Box yesterday, phoned them up in the UK with SKYPE and gave my Irish address together with the serial number of the card and the new box.

There was no problem that my address was in Ireland. They said that they would pair the box. It was paired, but I am now only receiving the London region stations, including the premium ones.

I called them back twice. On both occasions they said that they would correct the region to Ireland and send a new signal. On the last call, they said that although I had given the serial number of the new box, I hadn't told them that it was a HD box and that was probably the problem. They said that the signal was usually sent out between 2 minutes and 4 hours after the call.

As yet (3 hours after the last phone call) nothing has changed. The card number is displayed correctly in "System Details"

Advice anybody?

Did you do a software update when you installed the box? Hold back up button on the box,plug it out and in again.
    It can take up to 24 hours for all channels to appear-the Irish ones seem to take longest,is the recording function working?

• Advertisement

Many thanks.

On the advice of the SKY people, I disconnected the box from the mains. After replugging it in, I have the Irish stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Stiabhna

George,

Do you mind me asking how much you paid for the SKY HD Box? I'm in Germany and thinking of upgrading to SKY HD - do you still have the recording option?

BTW, I always call 00353818719852 and block my number first.

Cheers,

Stephen

Advertisement