Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drivelock password removal?

Options
  • 01-06-2011 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any way to remove drivelock passwords from hard disks? I have a couple of old laptop drives with passwords on them. I don't have the original laptops just the drives. This is NOT a laptop bios related question.

Any help appreciated, I don't care about the data, I just want to reuse the hard disks after I remove the drivelock passwords.

Cheers,
    ~livEwirE~

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

if you don't care about the data on the drives then format it using a bootable drive manager like Fdisk, Dban ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Don't think that's possible mate, as soon as a laptop is booted with these drives it displays a message requesting the user to input a drivelock password :( Will try again but am almost sure this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

that sounds like its linked to the bios i could be wrong tho, if its not on the bios there should be an option to boot from cd or something. alternatively you could remove them from the laptop and place them in an external caddy or pc and format them that way maybe.

The problem is not linked to the bios as I am try multiple drives on a laptop, some are fine but some have drivelock passwords. I'll try drop them in an enclosure and format them, hopefully that will work:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Could you format them in linux? - i.e., boot from a live disc CD and format?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

As far as I remember the way to bypass or remove the password required a JBOD and crack or reflash. It takes serious time and effort.

You can have a try at this app, it does apparently work but I'm pretty sure thats just a trial and you have to pay for full functionality.

@ Cuddlesworth, I'll give the demo a go, cheers for the recommendation :)

Advertisement