Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Art History * predictions / discussion / aftermath * (1 thread please)

Options
  • 01-06-2011 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Does anyone have any tips or notes that they have gotten on section 3, The Art Appreciation question? I know its mainly your own opinion but I really dont know how to write a essay long enough for it, and there is almost no help in the book
    Any help woud be great, Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 outofthecrowd

This, I think is the hardest part of the exam because it's not something that can be studied like the renaissance artists or newgrange for example.

I'm convinced that a film question is due up, especially since 'Avatar' was released and it was such a big deal, we focused on 'Alice in Wonderland' as a fantasy film with great CGI and fantasy characters etc ...

The gallery question is the more popular question, so I'm not sure it'll come up this year, or it'll be quite difficult to avoid us writing what we've learned off...

As regards length, I make sure my other two questions are done well and spend the remaining time on Q3, a few paragraphs and images, as long as there are relevant points you'll get your marks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭OldSchool94

It's my favorite part of the exam because there is no specific marking scheme for it and it's something less to study! Basically give your own opinion and expand as far as you can on that opinion e.g if its a painting you are on about talk about the colors, line and anything you can think of! Even the history of the painting!

INCLUDE DRAWINGS to! They are what will fill up your pages and count for most of your marks! Not only in this question but in every question! Best of luck :) ...We all need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

It's my favorite part of the exam because there is no specific marking scheme for it and it's something less to study! Basically give your own opinion and expand as far as you can on that opinion e.g if its a painting you are on about talk about the colors, line and anything you can think of! Even the history of the painting!

INCLUDE DRAWINGS to! They are what will fill up your pages and count for most of your marks! Not only in this question but in every question! Best of luck :) ...We all need it!

Hate to be the bearer of bad news...
    But drawings only account for 10/50 on any question! (5/50 if you're given the picture!) And there is a marking scheme for the section three, too..

I think I must be one of few that HATES that section with a passion!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8 outofthecrowd

I quite dislike it too, it's hard to figure out the marking scheme so I tend to write stuff that isn't needed, i got 19 out of 50 for my pre in that section...while i got high 40s for the others ... ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

I doubt the gallery question will come up this year, much to the dissapointment of many students. Film is due up, as is one of public sculpture or poster design. Thats what my teacher has predicted and after looking through the exam papers I agree. After that your guess is as good as mine. I was really annoyed about the Graffiti question coming up last year. I've based most of my posters and preps since Junior Cert on Graffiti and street art and have read up about it and learned a lot. If it came up again this year it would be a blessing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ameeeexx

This, I think is the hardest part of the exam because it's not something that can be studied like the renaissance artists or newgrange for example.

I'm convinced that a film question is due up, especially since 'Avatar' was released and it was such a big deal, we focused on 'Alice in Wonderland' as a fantasy film with great CGI and fantasy characters etc ...

The gallery question is the more popular question, so I'm not sure it'll come up this year, or it'll be quite difficult to avoid us writing what we've learned off...

As regards length, I make sure my other two questions are done well and spend the remaining time on Q3, a few paragraphs and images, as long as there are relevant points you'll get your marks...
    Yeah I think is hardest part too! What type of things will you write about for Alice in Wonderland? Like is there any specific topics or headings or anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

I thought the gallery question came up every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Anne01

i thought so to :/ thats all we have covered in my school we have done hardly any art history only like the last week or so of school dunno how im goin to be able to do it .... does anyone have any predictions for section 1 and 2 it wud be greatly appreciated ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dunner :P

Anne01 wrote: »
    i thought so to :/ thats all we have covered in my school we have done hardly any art history only like the last week or so of school dunno how im goin to be able to do it .... does anyone have any predictions for section 1 and 2 it wud be greatly appreciated ..

I would know newgrange pretty well for section 1, that and iron/bronze age tend to swap places every year and it wasnt up last year so...

As for section 2, know your two types of architecture and sculpture (gothic+romanesque) and how to compare/contrast. Paintings are usually hard to predict so whatever you like i guess!

Of course this is all just guess work, don't take it as gospel! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭terryincork

Newgrange Im hoping for...Vinci aswel :/

Any predictions on what else?

I know the gallery question etc

• Advertisement

So what are people using to do their illustrations? I was planning on using oil pastels (fairly handy for impressionism/abstact etc.) Would I be ok to use oil pastels or should I just stick to colouring pencils?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 spazzy

what.to.do wrote: »
    But drawings only account for 10/50 on any question! (5/50 if you're given the picture!) And there is a marking scheme for the section three, too..

agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭OldSchool94

what.to.do wrote: »

True but 'every little helps' :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 spazzy

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    So what are people using to do their illustrations? I was planning on using oil pastels (fairly handy for impressionism/abstact etc.) Would I be ok to use oil pastels or should I just stick to colouring pencils?

where do you get the time? I just about draw them!

For Impressionism and stuff I tend not to draw them. I just go straight at them with the pastels. For Irish/Romanesque/Gothic I rarely get them done properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kt.alice

Bbbbolger wrote: »

We were always just told to use regular pencils, I didn't even know you could use colouring pencils :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

kt.alice wrote: »
    We were always just told to use regular pencils, I didn't even know you could use colouring pencils :confused:

If you have the time use the colouring pencils. It's makes it much better looking and it stands out more.

I think this will be a grand exam all and all. I find the gallery question is always good enough. Hopefull I'll get a good one and I can talk about the Jack B. Yeats exhibition. Also hopefully Newgrange will come up this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mathgeek

i think that manet might come up for section two in the general painting question as a painting of a reclinging figure. and maybe vangogh for post impressionism

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭mpdg

*hides under covers away from Art History notes*

My teacher said to use pencil, ask for graph paper to draw on the back of and go back at the end and make them "bloody gorgeous" if you have time. Said nothing about colouring pencils, mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

COLOURING PENCILS definitely using them,it just makes better impression and stand out :)

I'm doing
    IRISH
    Newgrange & Bronze Age
    Iron Age as a back up

EUROPEAN
    Monet
    Degas
    Cezanne
    Van Gogh
    Picasso
    Dali

GENERAL APPRECEATION
    Design
    Exhibition
    that's all we've covered for that section :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Hey guys,

So I've studied:

Newgrange
    Bronze Age
    Iron age (slightly :/)

But I want to know if a question on impression always comes up because I really suck at Da Vinci and anything like that :/

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

I'd love to see Da Vinci tomorrow.... judging by my hopes for history not being there today though - he probably won't be :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Meller

Art Appreciation is the definition of bullsh*t - just analyse everything you say, even if it sounds rubbish (so much interpretation of art is:rolleyes:). If you're asked to design something e.g. a sculpture or a poster, if you say it's green, you could literally write half a page on why you chose for it to be green. Talk about the symbolism of it being green; the effect green has on people, or make up some obscure link between green and the subject of the item. They can't say it's wrong.

I've done Pre-Christian Ireland and the Romanesque/Gothic period. Hope it's enough. You can actually talk crap in those sections as well- if you make it sound like you love the art and have a genuine interest it looks good. I spent my whole Newgrange essay in the mock talking about what an amaaazing achievement it was (and I'm not exaggerating when I say 'my whole essay'). I even made up the dimensions of Newgrange the amount of rocks.:pac: Nobody seemed to notice.

if i learn Manet, Monet and Degas am i okay for european art? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Meller

mathgeek wrote: »
    if i learn Manet, Monet and Degas am i okay for european art? :confused:

Is it a good idea to do all impressionists? I'd do an artist from another time period if I were you, instead of one of those three.

so if i do van gogh and gauguin aswell would i be more or less covered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

mathgeek wrote: »
    so if i do van gogh and gauguin aswell would i be more or less covered?

instead of van gogh i would learn picasso or dali :)

thank you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kt.alice

For the Irish section, I'm doing:
    • Newgrange
    • Bronze Age
    • Enough Iron Age to handle a mix of it and one of the above

For European:
    • Surrealism (Dali)
    • Cubism (Picasso)
    • Expressionism (Munch & Kandinsky)
    • Donatello (his sculpture)
    • ...one Impressionist

I've my Gallery Visit answer sorted, and know a wee bit of sculpture for the appreciation section, too.

Anyone any input on which Impressionist to do? Manet? Monet? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Ah whats the worst that could happen?

For general appreciation, meh not really bothered just have to write about anything I would like to create or improve. I plan on talking about Croke Park, just waffling on about it being 82,300 capacity and the seating plan for concerts, matches etc.

In European history, I'm going to do the general question because SOMETHING has to be there I can answer on. But if a question on da Vinci himself comes up I will be chuffed.

With Irish, hopefully Newgrange as it didn't come up last year and maybe Book of Kells or Jack Yeats.

Try not to stress about it people, we already have 67.5% of our marks for the practical exams, one bad essay tomorrow won't screw us up that bad:p

Advertisement