Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Art History * predictions / discussion / aftermath * (1 thread please)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mathgeek

martyllia wrote: »
    instead of van gogh i would learn picasso or dali :)
    kt.alice wrote: »
    For the Irish section, I'm doing:
    • Newgrange
    • Bronze Age
    • Enough Iron Age to handle a mix of it and one of the above

For European:
    • Surrealism (Dali)
    • Cubism (Picasso)
    • Expressionism (Munch & Kandinsky)
    • Donatello (his sculpture)
    • ...one Impressionist

I've my Gallery Visit answer sorted, and know a wee bit of sculpture for the appreciation section, too.

Anyone any input on which Impressionist to do? Manet? Monet? :confused:

Manet hasn't been up in a few years so i would recommend him, however, he is arguably not an impressionist painter, but a forerunner to impressionism so if a question in impressionism comes up you may lose marks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 adler

Irish
    Hopefully the aul Newgrange will surface, but i have done Knowth and Dowth incase they're thrown onto the paper. I have bronze and iron Age covered as well as high crosses...
    European
    Gothic and Romanesque with a church in detail for each. Van Ecyk (northern Renaissance-arnolfini portrait) Da Vinci (Last Supper, Mona Lisa, Ginerve de benci, Virgin on the rocks, Annunciation), Uccello (The Hunt in the forest and battle of san romano), Michaelangelo (everything) and Piccasso (references to "women running on the beach", "la vie", "three musicians", "Violin and Sheet music", "the three dancers"- references to advance and changes in style) , GUERNICA is a huge part of that answer, le Demoiselles D'Avignon (in detail), and Donatello just in case. Looks like impressionists and expressionists may surface, maybe JB yeats due to exhibition this year- very hard to predict due to specificity of q's.
    Appreciation
    PLEASE MUSEUM VISIT! - if not, its quite easy to answer on housing estate planning, product design etc etc Dont Museums come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kt.alice

mathgeek wrote: »
    Manet hasn't been up in a few years so i would recommend him, however, he is arguably not an impressionist painter, but a forerunner to impressionism so if a question in impressionism comes up you may lose marks...

That's a very good point. :rolleyes: The last time Monet came up was 2004, and that was WITH Renoir. So I'd say he's due...?

Suppose we get a B1 in the practical, whats the least needed to maintain a B1 or even push up to an A2? I think that an A1 is hard to get in history, especially through sketches (where do we get the time?-BTW, i never use pastels OR colours... i just about get the sketches done in plane 2B, but a guess colours would be needed for appreciation...) but pretty essential for a high grade overall. Im hoping Newgrange, and Gothic VS Romanesque/ picasso and a museum visit come up.
    Good luck everyone tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

Is Michelangelo likely?

• Advertisement

!!! wrote: »
    Is Michelangelo likely?

Umm don't think so. He came up in 2009. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

That's a very good point. :rolleyes: The last time Monet came up was 2004, and that was WITH Renoir. So I'd say he's due...?

He'll better come up tomorrow !:D

He'll better come up tomorrow !:D

Amen! He'd be handy for a water-theme question, too. :p

Amen! He'd be handy for a water-theme question, too. :p

And for landscape! did that for my mock got 42/50 without much studying :D

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

Monet or Manet...??

• Advertisement

Monet! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 JReilly

My art teacher went through feck all for the European section, but I'm doing:

Irish:
    1. Newgrange
    2. Stone Age
    3. Bronze Age
    4. Iron Age

European:
    1. Da Vinci
    2. Michaelangelo
    3. Romanesque Architecture and Sculpture
    4. Gothic Architecture and Sculpture

I won't bother doing colour except for an artist. (that's if I decide to write about one tomorrow!) I'm also not going to bother writing about the exhibition. I'm fairly good at writing crap so anything on the appreciation I can handle.

Reckon I'm gonna bring in the aul colouring pencils, but only use 'em if I've the time spare at the end. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭terryincork

Reckon I'm gonna bring in the aul colouring pencils, but only use 'em if I've the time spare at the end. :rolleyes:

LOL it really doesnt matter if you use colouring pencils or not..as long as your drawing is of a good standard and shows what you are trying to "illustrate" you are set.

Im hoping for DeVinci..last supper..and if a 2nd question is added to that, Mona Lisa..sorted! :D

is picasso likely for the kind of q where it says,
    (a) "discuss an artist of the modernist/cubist era and one work in detail with reference to background, works, medium, styles etc"
    (b)"with reference to the named artist name another of his works and briefly describe it"
    Illustrate your answer ?????
    or will he be more likely named specifically like on the mocks?

adler wrote: »
    is picasso likely for the kind of q where it says,
    (a) "discuss an artist of the modernist/cubist era and one work in detail with reference to background, works, medium, styles etc"
    (b)"with reference to the named artist name another of his works and briefly describe it"
    Illustrate your answer ?????
    or will he be more likely named specifically like on the mocks?

Does it matter? :/

by the way, are colouring pencils reccomended for the art exam to improve marks on sketches? is using another medium more impressive than just pencil?

Does it matter? :/

i guess not, lol! I just dont want him coming up linked with another cubist/modernist artist like the time when renoir came up with monet... I's like the question to be based on two of his works in detail eg Guernica and les demasailles D'Avigna (sorry still have to learn how to spell them!) and then with just reference to his life, cubist and surrealist influences, relationships with Georges Braque, El Greco etc. Does anyone have reccomendations for approaching the sketches of artists? I think for Picasso id have about 8 for the whole essay...is that enough? sorry, i dont have any exam papers and was wondering of any other artist q's had come up in a different style. :)

JReilly wrote: »
    My art teacher went through feck all for the European section, but I'm doing:

Irish:
    1. Newgrange
    2. Stone Age
    3. Bronze Age
    4. Iron Age

European:
    1. Da Vinci
    2. Michaelangelo
    3. Romanesque Architecture and Sculpture
    4. Gothic Architecture and Sculpture

I won't bother doing colour except for an artist. (that's if I decide to write about one tomorrow!) I'm also not going to bother writing about the exhibition. I'm fairly good at writing crap so anything on the appreciation I can handle.

thats exactly what i have done in detail...i think thats enough. Architecture has to come for the european because it covers a whole two eras! I would say both styles may come up together, as gothic was on the mocks and i think its romanesques turn to surface according to the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 casperkiid

how long should each essay be??
    LAST EXAM WOOO!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 cookier

Two quick questions!
    Do they look for a personal response in the questions like in English? I think etc..or are they just looking for the facts?
    and you know when there's two parts to a question, can you put both parts into the one or should you separate them?
    Thanks and best of luck today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Gavarn

cookier wrote: »
    Two quick questions!
    Do they look for a personal response in the questions like in English? I think etc..or are they just looking for the facts?
    and you know when there's two parts to a question, can you put both parts into the one or should you separate them?
    Thanks and best of luck today!

They don't always ask for your personal opinion, but most questions have "discuss" in the question. I find that my essays that get A's always have my opinion in it whether it is a paragraph or a whole page.
    It makes the impression that you LOVE art and are caught up in the whole thing. They love someone that has views on art, might be different to theirs but it doesn't matter. Most are more than happy to read new opinions!

I suggest either writing (ii) or (b) in the margin, or write the second part of the question in red before you start it, lets the examiner know clearly what part is what as they may have different amount of marks allocated to each part of the question.

Hope that answered your Q's!

Good luck with today! Hope it's a nice paper for everyone :D

can somebody tell me how many sketches are recommended for each q?

i guess not, lol! I just dont want him coming up linked with another cubist/modernist artist like the time when renoir came up with monet... I's like the question to be based on two of his works in detail eg Guernica and les demasailles D'Avigna (sorry still have to learn how to spell them!) and then with just reference to his life, cubist and surrealist influences, relationships with Georges Braque, El Greco etc. Does anyone have reccomendations for approaching the sketches of artists? I think for Picasso id have about 8 for the whole essay...is that enough? sorry, i dont have any exam papers and was wondering of any other artist q's had come up in a different style. :)

your doing 8 sketches?? :O

mathgeek wrote: »
    can somebody tell me how many sketches are recommended for each q?

if newgrange comes up about 3,on european q usually 2 ,and then for last q depends if exhibition comes up 3,if design about 6

if newgrange comes up about 3,on european q usually 2 ,and then for last q depends if exhibition comes up 3,if design about 6

okay phew, thank god, i thought i saw somebody say 8 and i nearly died :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 x.Ais.x

We only did Gothic and Romanesque architecture for section 2, nothing else, PLEASE tell me they have to come up?! Also I've never attempted anything other than the gallery ques for section 3, but if I do one those like, opinion things is there anything I should learn beforehand?....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 JReilly

thats exactly what i have done in detail...i think thats enough. Architecture has to come for the european because it covers a whole two eras! I would say both styles may come up together, as gothic was on the mocks and i think its romanesques turn to surface according to the papers.

Odds are architecture will come up, but I plan to do a bit of sculpture and two artists incase the architecture question is BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

Well, what's the verdict?

Delighted when I saw Pre-Christian site! Died a little inside when I saw it alongside Christian site.. What christian sites did people cover?
    I couldn't remember any, so I just nattered on about the Crosses being in monastic sites!

Michelangelo question was delicious, couldn't be happier with it!

I ended up doing the gallery question, because the rest in section three were, in my opinion, god awful! It WAS Metsu in the National Gallery this year, yes???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

I wanted to kick that exam in the teeth..

I really wanted Da Vinci and Monet to come up or even Van Gogh..Nothing my teacher helped us with came up either, he was pretty useless.

Yes it was Metsu in the national gallery by the way!

Advertisement