Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Art History * predictions / discussion / aftermath * (1 thread please)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

Oh thank god...

A lot of people seem annoyed at the lack of da Vinci!
    Weird that Michelangelo came up, actually, he wasn't up that long ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Meller

Ugh, I only did Pre-Christian Ireland, but every q. mentioned Christian Ireland. And the Romanesque/Gothic q. was alright, but I hardly knew anything about Gothic sculpture.

LOVED the Pixar q., I'm just disappointed I have no chance of my A now. ack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Yeah, I think he was up last year..

Was so upset when Newgrange wasn't up on it's own but got 3 pages for each question so fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sycea

I really liked it! The Michelangelo one was pretty much identical to the one I did in my mocks and the gallery easy was so straightforward - i was stressing about section 3 because that was literally the only thing we had covered. Waffled my way through Bronze/Iron Age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 adler

newgrange question...was that a real question? Atrocious! had to bronzer/iron age. Picasso came up but i hated that question so took to gothic and romanesque. Was such a lengthy question and had to purely waffle about Chartres Royal Portal. Very lengthy question, really targeted our knowledge of the periods. section 111- wha????? Bridges? Would have loved to have done the pixar q but chose the gallery q. very lengthy. I definitely found one of the longest exams ive done yet. Wrote 8.5 pages for each with sketches... Where was Da Vinci...thought that he was tipped...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 kt.alice

Wanted either Donatello or Picasso, both came up but I could answer neither!! :( We never did that Donatello sculpture from the images sheet, and we never did another Cubist painter. Sickened!! :mad:

Got an alright answer out of Michelangelo in the end, I think. Loved the gallery visit question!! And was sooo delighted that bronze/iron age came up cause I hate Newgrange :p But that early christian bit at the end threw me a little. Ah well, my art teacher said it will hardly count for any marks anyway :rolleyes:

Pleased enough overall! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

omg, i looked at the paper and i was like wtf?! but then i reread it and was delighted with it :D
    i did q 1 on iris(gorget & broighter colllar)
    q 14 on european ,painting depicting dancers (degas)
    q18 exhibition,bit tricky but still managed to do it :D
    if only degas could see hhis ballet dancers...both of them looked like male prostitutes! :D
    anyway i talked to my teacher about it,and she said that i did very well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭mpdg

Ah that was a beaut. I feel like the frustrating people who said that Geography was easy, but man, that paper was awesome.
    I did the trace the development manuscript essay which was a bit weird on my part. I did about ten weird-looking sketches for it.
    I did the dancers in the list question. I did Botticelli - my favourite.
    For Appreciation....I did the nature question...it was the most hilariously bull****ty essay I have ever written, but I'm banking on the fact that my mock Appreciation was the same and I got 85% in that section.

Overall, a good day's work.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cookier

very long paper. I did manuscripts, romanesque/gothic and the gallery question. Romanesque question took me so long to do.. really messed up my timing and had to rush through the gallery question. could have been better but could have been a lot worse to so I'm happy enough :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

That paper was bad enough. Absolutely sickened Newgrange didn't come up alone (come on people) and the 'how would you host your own exhibition in your school' part of the gallery question was just unbelievably ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 smileeey

im not gonna lie im pretty pissed with that.

Happy to see Manet. Predicted him so that was kinda cool.

Strangely i had a funny feeling bout Paul Henry in Irish so again
    suprised my prediction came through. Only knew a few points on
    Yeats though so just scribbled a few points down.

Was hopin for a nice question on advertising in secti 3.
    avoided learnin my stupid museum thing all year.
    there was nothin else i could do so just had to do that one..

one word.... meh...
    au revoir A1...

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭danoboy254

martyllia wrote: »
    omg, i looked at the paper and i was like wtf?! but then i reread it and was delighted with it :D
    i did q 1 on iris(gorget & broighter colllar)
    q 14 on european ,painting depicting dancers (degas)
    q18 exhibition,bit tricky but still managed to do it :D
    if only degas could see hhis ballet dancers...both of them looked like male prostitutes! :D
    anyway i talked to my teacher about it,and she said that i did very well :D

Did the exact same. they would have all been my second choices had newgrange, monet and product design come up but regardless i'm happy enough with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

!!! wrote: »
    That paper was bad enough. Absolutely sickened Newgrange didn't come up alone (come on people) and the 'how would you host your own exhibition in your school' part of the gallery question was just unbelievably ridiculous.

It did though, Newgrange...

Question 2, Pre-Christian something! Was a stinger of a question though..

The school exhibition was awfully funny.. :P I just ranted about I learned how important the wall colours are as the red in the Metsu complimented the paintings, and things like that :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 44444444

how many points would you lose if you said the gorget was a torc?? and that it was iron age? i really messed up on the irish q because i decided not to do the newgrange one with the early christian architecture

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sligo.

i could not believe it, that exam was a bit of a joke:confused: like i answered everything fine in the end but i had NO choice and i revised loads of topics two weeks ago!! i answered the Bronze and Iron age question in Irish....6 pages. then i answered Manet and wrote about Olympia as the 2nd painting.....4 and a half pages altogether. and then appreciation q 19 that was on the illustration sheet and i wrote 4 pages and didnt get the "and" bit done. but overall i was happy with it in the end but i mean the choice was S**T!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭MarkTheBaby

I did the first question because it had less of an early-christian slant than the Newgrange Q which I knew so much about :rolleyes:

Manet was handy, I frickin love Manet.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭snicket

That was a pretty nice exam :) Glad I wasn't banking on the newgrange question though, that was awful...
    I did the gorget and colllar qn, couldn't think of how they influenced christian art though so I made up stuff about the cross of moone and book of kells :/
    Manet was a nice question, went on about how he inspired the impressionists and broke the power of the Salon etc. Michelangelo was probably easier looking back on it now though!
    And appreciation... wtf, bridges? Did the nature one. Biggest load of ****e I've ever written, was giggling away to myself sketching stick buffalos as evidence that "craftspeople through the ages were inspired by nautre" :rolleyes: Got prada's fruit prints & that exhibition of crocheted coral in there too... How do they even mark appreciation?

@44444 probably not even half if you got the broighter collar right and did the last part :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

what.to.do wrote: »
    It did though, Newgrange...

Question 2, Pre-Christian something! Was a stinger of a question though..

The school exhibition was awfully funny.. :P I just ranted about I learned how important the wall colours are as the red in the Metsu complimented the paintings, and things like that :P

Yeah I know, I think the paper deserved a simple question about Newgrange and Newgrange only! What a loada.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Aeclipse

I was so happy to see Manet and the Pixar question was lovely but i was boaring holes into my paper on the irish art section. I had studied newgrange and high crosses and like glanced at bronze age....and it came up! Just typical but i made some lame attempt at it..really annoyed cause I've probably got like 15 marks out of the 50 for that question! :mad: Oh well what can you do! It's only worth 37.5% no use getting caught up in it now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 thumbelinaxo

Was a bit raging with the way Newgrange came up! Decided to do the manuscript question instead thankfully that was the only other thing I really prepared for the Irish section :) Liked the Gallery q!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Fairly annoyed with the paper overall.

For section 1 I studied Newgrange and Jack B. Yeats. Ended up doing the Yeats question even though I've never heard of Paul Henry before. Decided to use my artistic license to "create" a painting of his :o

For section 2 I did the Manet question. Was Hoping for Seurat or Gaugin but I managed alright.

For section 3 I had studied Avatar in major detail. Gutted when it wasnt even on the paper! Ended up doing the bridges question. I did a bridge for my Junior Cert Technology project so I wrote over 3 pages on The Golden Gate Bridge! Was quite happy with my general level of bull****! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sligo.

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    Fairly annoyed with the paper overall.

For section 1 I studied Newgrange and Jack B. Yeats. Ended up doing the Yeats question even though I've never heard of Paul Henry before. Decided to use my artistic license to "create" a painting of his :o

For section 2 I did the Manet question. Was Hoping for Seurat or Gaugin but I managed alright.

For section 3 I had studied Avatar in major detail. Gutted when it wasnt even on the paper! Ended up doing the bridges question. I did a bridge for my Junior Cert Technology project so I wrote over 3 pages on The Golden Gate Bridge! Was quite happy with my general level of bull****! :cool:

Seurat came up, in two places on the honours paper!!!:eek: did you see?? or just not like the questions?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Just checked the paper...never saw the qustion on Pointillism! I saw Bauhaus and all that and because we only studied the beginning of post-Impressionism I presumed I wouldn't know any of the others. My Manet question wasn't near up to the level my Seurat would've been. Dammit all!

Advertisement