Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Oz while remotely working for Irish company

Options
  • 01-06-2011 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Does you know if there is any issue with living in Oz with a holiday visa while remotely working for an irish company? I work in IT and I might be able to get contract work that would allow me to work remotely. Are there any issues with visa/tax/etc?

Tks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

If you are being paid on the books by an Irish firm. Then you are paying tax in Ireland. While you may be performing work in oz you are not being paid. Ideally you may need another type of visa like a short stay business I would explain your idea to immigration so they can advise. Believe me if you keep coming back and forth you Will be flagged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Obscure wrote: »
    Does you know if there is any issue with living in Oz with a holiday visa while remotely working for an irish company? I work in IT and I might be able to get contract work that would allow me to work remotely. Are there any issues with visa/tax/etc?

Tks

Do you not mean holiday in Oz, a holiday visa is for a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Why aren't the company organising a businesss visa if they are bringing you into Australia to complete work for them?
    You cannot work here on a Holiday visa, no real surprise there.

ellaq wrote: »
    Why aren't the company organising a businesss visa if they are bringing you into Australia to complete work for them?
    You cannot work here on a Holiday visa, no real surprise there.

The OP never said that, he said he would work for a company in Ireland and for some time be in Australia on a Holiay Visa.

The company itself would not care about where he resides.

This could in fact well be a new type of VISA in years to come. In the Ops case from what I gather there is no down side to Australia by his/her presence.

He spends money earnt abroad here, he has no entitlement to welfare or any state service bar that of a visitor.

If I give a developer a task as long as he has a laptop and a phone he can live where ever he likes. As long as the task is done and I pay him into his Irish account what he does with the money is up to him.

Example a wage of 60,000 euro per annum would go far in a place like Thailand, the philipines, Vietnam, South Africa etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

I Reread it and it makes sense.

Edit to put in the I.

• Advertisement

Obscure wrote: »

Tks

I see nothing here about them bringing him/her to Aus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I checked out doing similar in the US, and the consensus (although I never check with officials) was that it was perfectly legal once you weren't doing paid work in the second country + you didn't outstay your holiday visa.

You're basically on an extended holiday, paid for by your continued pay from Ireland. However, as someone else has said, if you do it more than once you may come to the notice of Immigration there.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Obscure

You're basically on an extended holiday, paid for by your continued pay from Ireland. However, as someone else has said, if you do it more than once you may come to the notice of Immigration there.

Yeah was thinking of a single 6/12 month visitor visa basically, so wouldnt be applying for multiple visas one after the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Zambia wrote: »
    I would explain your idea to immigration so they can advise.

+1

I would love to know how you get on with this idea!
    It sounds brilliant! I have a mate whos favourite dream job of the future is a group of mates on a beach in front of a grass hut drinking pina coladas with net books next to them, and someone saying did everyone remember to press send???? :D

Advertisement