Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darksiders 2

Options
  • 01-06-2011 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭

Not out until next year (hopefully no longer), but details are starting to come out now.
    Death takes over from War as the lead character in the forthcoming Darksiders 2, publisher THQ has announced.

The sequel's story will run parallel with that of the acclaimed 2010 adventure, and sees Death embark on a quest to redeem his brother – the aforementioned War – and save mankind.

According to THQ's announcement, on his way he'll discover that an ancient grudge may represent an even greater threat to the future of the human race.

Due out some time in 2012 on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, THQ is promising a "dramatically larger world", weapon and armour upgrade systems, bigger dungeons and a wealth of new enemies and bosses to take down.

"We have taken the best parts of Darksiders and improved on them with a host of new mechanics and features. You will see great things from this epic game," promised THQ core games chief Danny Bilson.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-01-first-darksiders-2-details-confirmed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Having had the first one collecting dust for months i finally started and finished it. The gameplay felt a bit dated, enjoyed it though and the ending got me excited about the sequel, so im looking forward to picking it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I only finished Darksiders a few months ago after it spent the best part of a year on my shelf. I really enjoyed it and after the seeing the ending I'm really looking forward to the sequel.

Not sure what to make of this line though.
    The sequel's story will run parallel with that of the acclaimed 2010 adventure

Sounds like they aren't really going to move the story on too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Excellent news. I really enjoyed the first one, and will be more than willing to dive head-long into a sequel. Hopefully Death will have a bit more pesonality than War did... Though I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

*engage happy-dance mode*

*dance*

*dance*

*dance*

Thats enough. Good to finally hear some more info on this, hopefully there will be a bit more next week at E3. And just because it runs parallel doesnt mean they cant expand the story, it wont progress too far past the end of the first but could fill out some more of the story like how the whole Heaven/Hell and The Council came to be and what they are all at. or show some more of the 2 other regions, or even Earth during the Apocalypse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Loved the 1st game, just hope at worst we get more of the same.

I've said it before and I'll say it again NO TACKED ON MULTIPLAYER / CO-OP please!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

calex71 wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again NO TACKED ON MULTIPLAYER / CO-OP please!!!!!!!!!!

I'll x2 that, but i really can't see how they could make a multiplayer or co-op version considering you don't meet Death in War's story, and i'm sure it's vice-versa in this.

But really looking forward to this, must get my copy back off the friend my brother loaned it to...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Delighted about this. Loved the first game, and am looking forward to seeing what Death looks like. War was a great looking character, as was the art design in general. While i would love some properly designed co-op, i'll be happy if it's just more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Yea loved the 1st game. Some of the best voice acting in a game ever. Great visuals and some enjoyable gameplay. The ending definitely left me wanting more story so this is welcomed. So it's not gonna progress the story much but what of it. Once the game and story are there I'll be happy.

Wasn't War supposed to have been imprisoned for hundreds of years after the apocalypse, (first level in the game), by the council? This could easily take place during that time with Death trying to get his brother freed to have a chance to redeem himself. Maybe I'm not remembering it right though.

I'd say we'll see Lilith (at least i think it was Lilith) as a main villian, who corrupted Abaddon in the first game. And i'd say as above, that it will be set in the time between War's death by Straga, and his reawakening after the fall of mankind.

I wonder if they'll try and do four games, one for each of the Horsemen. Would be cool to have an installment for each, though it would take quite a while to do them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

djkeogh wrote: »
    Wasn't War supposed to have been imprisoned for hundreds of years after the apocalypse, (first level in the game), by the council? This could easily take place during that time with Death trying to get his brother freed to have a chance to redeem himself. Maybe I'm not remembering it right though.
    The seal keeping the horsemen from being released was broke at the end of the game, so i dont think they could do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Still gotta play the 1st one.

Worth a look?

Mr Freeze wrote: »

Worth a look?

Definitely. It's a mix between Zelda and God of War, with a good story and great voice acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Looking forward to this. I really loved the first game. It was a lot of fun and had an absolutely awesome visual style.

I wouldn't hold out on Death having much of a personality though!

Kiith wrote: »
    Definitely. It's a mix between Zelda and God of War, with a good story and great voice acting.

With a touch of Legacy Of Kain too, in my opinion.

Anyways, a lot of people seem to mention the idea of co-op. Personally, I'd rather if it was just single player like the first one. If you ask me, there aren't too many great single player experiences being released any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

deathrider wrote: »
    If you ask me, there aren't too many great single player experiences being released any more.

Completely agree. It's shít! And while co-op could be cool, I would be afraid that it would take away from the focus of the whole story and atmosphere. Which were a big part of the first one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Mr Freeze wrote: »

Worth a look?

GTFO and don't come back till you finished it :D

Truly one of the finest single player games out there, it's not original as said it's like metroid / zelda / god of war but it doesn't hide this, it celebrates it.

It's far from perfect but this can easily be forgotten about and forgiven once you get into it.

One of the few games I could say serve me up another and it can be exactly the same and don't bother fixing or improving anything, and I'd be totally happy handing over 50 bucks for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-darksiders-ii/714579

First trailer, not much new but love the look and voice of Death.

That's a great trailer. Love the style, and the music fits it perfectly. Death also looks great. Shame we have a fair while to wait.

Loving the look of this. Got really excited once it showed Death in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

From what I've read the story that Death follows will be to restore/rescue mankind, basically undo the destruction/death of Earth. So he will travel to the underworld to see that through.

Almost done with my playthrough of darksiders, just cleaning up the loose goodies on the map and ill run the finale. Great game, have to say. The sequel may be running concurrently but that doesnt mean it cant forward the plot. Death can be learning things that War did not in the same timeframe.

edit: so I finished it and am looking forward to the 2nd one, which will hopefully flesh out a lot more of the backstory. I got all goosebumpy right at the end though. Its gonna be biblical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Cant wait for this! The first game was one of the most memorable games i played last year. Picked it up on a whim and couldnt believe how good it was, especially as i was expecting another hack and slash affair along the lines of dantes inferno or gow.
    Although it had those elements i thought the style and open-ness of the worlds was brilliant and something i had not seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Got the first one in Tesco for a tenner yesterday. Bargain. Great game.

Have to say though the PC port is a little buggy, I hope they will do better on the sequel. Not just random crashes or even the occassional texture/lighting conflicts but the way the game saves information causes chests to sometimes disappear, important dungeon doors to never unlock, or doesnt allow you to do New games with the upgraded armor. Other than that, it's a gem though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Picked up the original for a tenner in Tesco.

Time to see what all the fuss is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Really looking forward to this, the first was brilliant.

Hopefully Mark Hammill is used as voice talent.
    Also, more horses and less portals please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Overheal wrote: »
    Have to say though the PC port is a little buggy, I hope they will do better on the sequel. Not just random crashes or even the occassional texture/lighting conflicts but the way the game saves information causes chests to sometimes disappear, important dungeon doors to never unlock, or doesnt allow you to do New games with the upgraded armor. Other than that, it's a gem though.

Cant say i had any of those probs on the PC version. also the improved graphics ont he PC are great, really makes Joe Mad's art style shine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Is the voice of death Uncle Phil from Fresh Price of Bel Air (who was the voice of Shredder in the original TMNT cartoon, I found out looking him up :eek:)?

Is the voice of death Uncle Phil from Fresh Price of Bel Air (who was the voice of Shredder in the original TMNT cartoon, I found out looking him up :eek:)?
    Hey.... werent you The Watcher?

*imagines a Fresh Prince/ Mutant Turtle cross-over episode... and cringes*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Overheal wrote: »
    Hey.... werent you The Watcher?

Why yes I was :pac:, here's my card :cool::
    241696-bigthumbnail.jpg

Advertisement