Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darksiders 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Proper tempted by this.... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

review up, a touch late, but up nonetheless

http://www.clickonline.com/games/review--darksiders-ii/12784/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Played for a bit today, and liking it so far. I like that Death feels very different to play, when compared to War. Also, liking that the horse is available from the start as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Played it last night for a few hours and I like it. It took a while for it to click - I thought the opening area was a bit weak and The Forge was a bit garish, but once I got to the Cauldron (the first dungeon) I really started to get into it. Some simple (but clever) puzzles gave me a nice sense of achievement.

I like the Prince of Persia vibe from the platforming too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I really enjoyed playing through the first Darksiders so I fully intend to buy this game. Problem is my backlog is getting way too big. I might just wait till this drops in price before picking it up. I didn't get around to playing the first one until 18 months after release.

Good to see all the positive reviews and comments for it.

• Advertisement

I traded in a bunch of my backlog that I'll probably never get to, so that's how I could justify it. Playing something like Darksiders 2 is just more fun for me than wandering around and getting bored in Skyrim (no offense to the Skyrim zealots!) :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

What platform are you playing it on, Mr E? Wondering what the PC version is like and if it's a bad port, might pick it up on Xbox instead.

360 for me.... my PC is 5 years old (basically glorified file storage and web browser at this stage), so I dread to think how much DS2 would struggle. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

RolandIRL wrote: »
    What platform are you playing it on, Mr E? Wondering what the PC version is like and if it's a bad port, might pick it up on Xbox instead.

Not sure where I read it, Kotaku possibly, but the gist of the article was that the PC port was very bad. Especially when compared to the PC version of Sleeping Dogs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

i-k5WN7bb-X3.jpg

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Mr E wrote: »
    I traded in a bunch of my backlog that I'll probably never get to, so that's how I could justify it. Playing something like Darksiders 2 is just more fun for me than wandering around and getting bored in Skyrim (no offense to the Skyrim zealots!) :o

What spec is that mate? My sons rig is an old one of mine, almost 5 years old now and running games @ 1920X1080 fine, can run BF3 on medium settings.

Back to Darksiders, what a fantastic game!
    Playing on PC with 360 controller,cant praise the game enough so far, pity it didnt offer more graphics options and better graphics but apart from that really top class.

Dcully wrote: »
    What spec is that mate? My sons rig is an old one of mine, almost 5 years old now and running games @ 1920X1080 fine, can run BF3 on medium settings.

Just a factory Dell E5200 @ 2.5GHz, 3GB RAM, Intel G33/31 Express Chipset. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Dcully wrote: »
    Back to Darksiders, what a fantastic game!
    Playing on PC with 360 controller,cant praise the game enough so far, pity it didnt offer more graphics options and better graphics but apart from that really top class.

Was talk from THQ of a config file to be released that allows AA and such to be added near release. Probably wont be a few months though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

should be able to force AA with your graphics drivers own control panel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Is anybody else having freezeups on the PS3 verison of this

Yesterday i had 3 freezups and had to restart the PS3 3 times

Now today its happened again its kinda annoying

I dunno if I should get another copy that wont make a difference though will it?

Had the odd one, but have them on a lot of PS3 games. Probably the hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Got this today and only played about 2/3 hours so far, but I'm loving it. Agree the first area wasn't great but once you get to the free roaming area it stops up a notch. Very different to the first one in terms of weapons/upgrades and the lack of a physical manual means a steepish learning curve (I refuse to check an online one), but I'm loving the mix of main weapon and fast or slow or no secondary weapon.

Does anyone know if there's a level cap? Still not sure if I want to go through the necromancer or harbinger... Good reason for an NG+ though.

Also love the fact it doesn't hold your hand and tell you that you need x to get to that high up glowing thing! Exploration ftw!

God this game excites me!

You won't cap out in the first playthrough. You need NG+ to reach level 30 (for an achievement). Not sure if you level up beyond 30.

You can also respec through Vulgrim (reallocate all skill points for a cost).

Also love the fact it doesn't hold your hand and tell you that you need x to get to that high up glowing thing! Exploration ftw!

God this game excites me!

Yeah, tis fun wandering round hunting new areas. Managed to find a mini-boss in the first 20 minutes who 1 shotted me....but now cant find him again when I'm high enough to give him a fair fight :(
    Though the dozens of gems you have to shoot for the construct to the West of the Forge-Lands area are a nightmare to spot at times. Have a feeling there are loads left in dungeons I missed

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Yeah, tis fun wandering round hunting new areas. Managed to find a mini-boss in the first 20 minutes who 1 shotted me....but now cant find him again when I'm high enough to give him a fair fight :

If that's who i think it is
    Gorewood
    , it's one of 4 from a quest you get after you turn back on the Mountain Fire and Tears. When i got it, i went straight back to him as he was killing me nearly every time, but at Level 8 i finally managed to best him with lots of dodging and some close calls!

Also, this game (and the first one to an extent) shows that there is not enough Scottish people in games!!

• Advertisement

Yeah thats him, found a vid online of where he is :p Was swimming round right above the entrance and forgot about it. Have the other 3 from the quest beaten already....but Thane never gave me the quest, just the option to train abilities (which I have all of by now). It just pops up I need to return when I kill one and Thane gives a little speech and no mention of the rest. Thought they were just mini-bosses and you ot a quest to return once they were dead.

And on the topic of skill points,
    one of the merchants gives you a quest later on to retrieve lost relics. There is one group of a dozen or so he awards a skill point for each found, so there are more points than levels.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Yeah thats him, found a vid online of where he is :p Was swimming round right above the entrance and forgot about it. Have the other 3 from the quest beaten already....but Thane never gave me the quest, just the option to train abilities (which I have all of by now). It just pops up I need to return when I kill one and Thane gives a little speech and no mention of the rest. Thought they were just mini-bosses and you ot a quest to return once they were dead.

And on the topic of skill points,
    one of the merchants gives you a quest later on to retrieve lost relics. There is one group of a dozen or so he awards a skill point for each found, so there are more points than levels.

I got the quest off him after beating him in a fight.

Just met that merchant, going to be a handy few points! But
    it's not a skill point per artifact, he gave me gilt for one

I got the quest off him after beating him in a fight.

Just met that merchant, going to be a handy few points! But
    it's not a skill point per artifact, he gave me gilt for one

Hrm, I beat him in the fight too but no quest. but there are a fair few bugs in this game.
    There are 3 types of artifacts, lowest nets ya 3000 gilt, next is permanent health/wrath upgrade and the last is 5 relics for a skill point each.

Really odd bug I found, played the Crucible and took the prize after lvl 5. Went later and took it after lvl 20 but the chest was empty (opening animation and all then nothing drops out). Hope its not a "You get 1 chance to claim the prize" type dealy.

Price watch update... I was in HMV yesterday and I see the price has jumped from €44.99 on launch day to €62. Glad I got it last week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Enjoying this well enough so far, feels like the 1st game but not the same.

Puzzles are far too easy, everything seems to be straight forward so far and the leveling system seems to have crippled the combat in that here just seems to be a huge lack of things to kill vs the 1st game, and very little variety in enemies so far...... I'm in the foundry collecting the hearts. Seems to be a case of them not getting the balance right and having fewer enemies so you don't level up to fast and even then I'm level 13 already and the cap is 22 on first play :confused:

The enemies change per area. Just after getting to lostlight and they're different enemies completely. I think it's a nice touch.

Edit: just after getting the voidwalker, the name of the achievement is brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

how long is this game?

Took me around 20 hours to finish it the first time, and that was without doing the Crucible or finishing all the collection side-quests.......which reset in New Game+

FFFFUUUUUUU

Right, just finished it. Wow. What a game. 24 hours and still have to do the crucible, soul arbiter and collect everything. Once that's done, NG+ on nightmare.

Before I got to Shadows Edge I couldn't think this game could get any better, but then I got
    phasewalker
    and it brought me so many fabulous memories of Soul Reaver. Which made me realise I haven't enjoyed a game this much since the Soul Reaver series.

Yes, it has it's issues (what game doesn't), specifically the camera at times, and I had about 8 freezes throughout. Other than that, this game is perfect to me. Just wish there was a fortune finder in it. Going to be a pain to collect all them blackroot stones.

I hope this game gets the honours it deserves and we get another 2 if not 3 out of the series. Fury and Strife to go, and hopefully a 5th game where you play as all 4. If there are no more games to be made in the Darksiders series (which I hope isn't the case), I want vigil to work on redoing the Legacy of Kain series!!

And just to add to the epicness, after confirmation to be sure, Simon Templeman voices Absalom. Nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Really really enjoying this.
    That bollox dust is a useless sat nav though.

Advertisement