Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Johnstown Garden Centre - Nice job

Options
  • 01-06-2011 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Bought 4 large brushwood screens from JGC last week. They were delivered wrong the first time (small mistake). The order was corrected in 2 working days with no quarrel and very efficiently, the screens are up and look great even if I do say so myself! JGC obviously take their online business very seriously - great job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

nice advertisement :)

'Be sure we'll get it wrong first time' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Pity they are so expensive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

My favourite garden centre.

Love going there and often spend hours walking around.

Bit pricey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭touts

Well Johnstown Garden centre is successful with this type of advertising on boards because on my way home from Bloom I decided to call in for the first time. Initially I was impressed but then I started to look at the prices. Trees for €125 that most other garden centres will have for €50 or less (one specific one Red Robin on a stem was €125 but I recently purchased 3 for a total of €75 in another garden centre. I won't name it as unlike other posters I don't work for them). There was a sort of a blue grass plant for €35 and the very next day I saw it in another garden centre (not the one I got the Red Robin in) for €25. I was also very disappointed with their almost complete lack of landscaping products. Looking at their website I thought the place would be full of this but they had less than the average B&Q/Woodies/Homebase.

Overall I would say they have a good range of plants but at the top of the price range. Best thing would be to browse through the place and if you see something you like note the name and go to your local garden centre and ask them to order it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

You should check out Doyles on the Brennanstown road, recently reopened with a fantastic range. Use to shop in JOhnstown until came across them, well worth a look

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

I would just say this about Johnstown Garden Centre...

Yes, they are a bit more expensive than others, especially the B&Qs etc. However, when you do buy something there I find that those plants are in better condition, look better and thrive better than almost anything else I've bought anywhere else - almost without exception.

You get what you pay for in most situations in life and I'd have to say the same goes for JGC too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭touts

Anatom wrote: »
    I would just say this about Johnstown Garden Centre...

Yes, they are a bit more expensive than others, especially the B&Qs etc. However, when you do buy something there I find that those plants are in better condition, look better and thrive better than almost anything else I've bought anywhere else - almost without exception.

You get what you pay for in most situations in life and I'd have to say the same goes for JGC too.

Perhaps but I have to say the plants I cited at €25 each versus €125 are all thriving. Also the other €25 vs €35 was comparing with a highly reputable chain of garden centres and the plant labels etc were exactly the same indicating the same source supplier. Certainly there are a few cowboy centres out there but (a) they are not as common as you make out and (b) from bitter experience I only use very reputable ones. Johnstown is considerably more expensive than other reputable centres and that seems to be the feedback from a number of posters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Fair enough - I do agree they're expensive, but have always been happy with my purchases.

I have no association with them at all, by the way. I just live nearby and have used them for years.

Advertisement