Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aussie Pale Ale

Options
  • 01-06-2011 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I'm planning on mixing a batch of Australian Pale Ale this weekend with a Coopers kit and equipment. Is there something i can do or add to the mix to get a better head on the beer, because last time the head vanished after about 15 seconds when i poured it. It tasted ok but i'd prefer if it kept the head a little longer. Any ideas ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

Not really sure what you meant about mixing kits but a can of coopers aussie pale ale and 1 Kg of spraymalt will produce a beer with more body and a better head. If you mix two coopers beer kits together for a 5 gallon batch the beer will be too bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

I did this kit up with 500g light spraymalt and 500g light hopped spraymalt and its great. It has a good head that lasts a fair bit. It is, however, an ale and so wont have a head right to the end of the glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Whether its an ale or a lager has nothing to do with head retention.

Using a kg of spraymalt instead of sugar/dextrose/beer kit enhancer would help a little bit. Perhaps even 1/2 kg of Wheat spraymalt and 1/2 kg of light spraymalt as wheat also aids head retention.

I always find the primary culpret in a poor head on the beer is a dirty glass.
    Make sure the glass you use for the beer is a completely clean glass, free from any detergent or fatty residue.
    If you can, get a beer only glass and wash it after use with warm water only and let it drip dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Jen32

Ok thanks for the help all....i'll give it a go this Sat

Advertisement