Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fulham Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Bobby Zamora's come out and said he wants to be stolen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

Helix wrote: »
    i have concerns about ancelotti tbh. he'll be operating in a completely different bracket of the transfer market to the one he's used to

Didn't he do very well at Parma though? And they are a much smaller club in terms of stature than Villa.

I think he'd be a cracking appointment for ye. He gives youngsters a chance as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

wait, ive just realised something

why would villa contact fulham about a manager who's technically out of contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No, because we were put in that posititon because Liverpool robbed Hodgson!
    You are making yourself look extremely thick with this constant use of ''rob/steal'' instead of ''buy''. You've only surfaced on this forum in the last day or two and already you have most of the users laughing at you, I would guess that that was the cause of your restless night more than anything.

And I notice no, United or Liverpool fan has adressed my first post this morning, because ye know I'm right.

I addressed it earlier. You need to get better at noticing.

wait, ive just realised something

why would villa contact fulham about a manager who's technically out of contract?

He's back in contract isn't he? The clause expired at midnight last night.

Anyway it appears Hughes is out of the running. I still think he'll leave Fulham though.

He's back in contract isn't he? The clause expired at midnight last night.

Anyway it appears Hughes is out of the running. I still think he'll leave Fulham though.

no, he needed to sign to activate the second year, which there was no word from fulham that he did, so his contract expired at midnight

Pro. F wrote: »
    You've only surfaced on this forum in the last day or two and already you have most of the users laughing at you, I would guess that that was the cause of your restless night more than anything.

Fair enough, if I've caused annoyance to other posters it wasn't intentional and I'll just stick to my Fulham thread for now on if that's ok with you?

no, he needed to sign to activate the second year, which there was no word from fulham that he did, so his contract expired at midnight

hmm. I dunno so. But the fulham forums I frequent are absolutely convinced that Villa contacted Fulham to thell they aren't interested.

i wouldnt be hugely surprised if we did, given that we tend to run the club like that (see the delph transfer), but it still seems a little odd

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Degag wrote: »
    Haven't you heard? Man Utd made a bid for Danny Murphy.

I can see why that'd annoy Utd fans so

• Advertisement

"Aston Villa have been in touch with Premier League rivals Fulham to assure them that they have not been in contact with Cottagers boss Mark Hughes.

Villa are searching for a new manager after Gerard Houllier left the club on Wednesday because of health problems.

Hughes, the bookmakers' favourite, has been heavily linked with the vacancy but Villa have moved to allay the west London club's fears.

Fulham said they are in talks to extend Hughes' contract at Craven Cottage.

Although they have refused to discuss the details of Hughes' contract they have insisted that their position is unchanged. It is also understood that without their permission no club would be allowed to talk to Hughes about a possible move prior to 30 June - coincidentally the day their seasons starts with a Europa League qualifying fixture."

Porbably gives Hughes good bargaining position when it comes to transfer budgets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Just announced on Sky that he's gone

Absolutely stunned.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Martin O'Neill to be the new Fulham manager? Only problem is he likes his chequebook and there isn't much to spend at Fulham.

Paully D wrote: »
    Martin O'Neill to be the new Fulham manager? Only problem is he likes his chequebook and there isn't much to spend at Fulham.

He's a friend of the chairmen but I hope not. Think he's a tosser.

I'm actually close to tears, just frought with worry as to what's going to happen to Fulham.

I know it's sad but I can't help it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

So now we have it. Sparky and Fergie have been in cahoots ths whole time!

He's a friend of the chairmen but I hope not. Think he's a tosser.

I'm actually close to tears, just frought with worry as to what's going to happen to Fulham.

I know it's sad but I can't help it.

You'll be fine mate. I can't see Fayed making a risky appointment so he'll play it safe and get someone who'll have you mid-table. Although I do think you could be risking relegation if you get to the group stage of the Europa League as you'll have played 8 games before the season even starts!

Alan Curbishley would be a good appointment IMO. Surprised Big Sam took the WH job so early, he would have been a decent candidate too

mon would ruin fulham

• Advertisement

He was building something really special at Fulham, I just don't understand this. His backroom staff will all move on I guess. Well right now all the hope I had of having the best Fulham side has gone out the door, Loved the style of play and everything. Feel really gutted and let down. Roy was a shock and you just kenw he would fail at Liverpool. Hughes makes even less sense to me.

For the first time I really couldn't care less who comes in. Bring in Curbishley for all I care. No point in building at Fulham, players and managers just go even when we are surrounded in success. Sod it. Something at Fulham just died. It is called hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Hate to say i told you so but.....

It was all over West London apparently this morning.

Mon will be new manager at Fulham

amiable wrote: »
    Mon will be new manager at Fulham

He will destroy Fulham financially just like he destroyed Celtic, Villa.

and his football is rubbish.

He will destroy Fulham financially just like he destroyed Celtic, Villa.

and his football is rubbish.
    Good Luck with that so

Good Luck with that so

Please tell me you are on the wind up about o'neill? Why are you so certain.

• Advertisement

Please tell me you are on the wind up about o'neill? Why are you so certain.
    Not on a wind up at all. Its just what i heard is all

Not on a wind up at all. Its just what i heard is all

What you make of him?

Only thing I can think of is hat he's passionate...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

i don't understand it

fulham have a better squad of players and are liley to have a greater net spend than villa this season, villa will lose ashley young and downing looks like he wants to go too.......unless lerner is giving hughes a huge wage and promising him loads of cash for signings (which is very much needed but even 50-60 million will only get villa to midtable) then i don't see the point in this move....so they have a bigger stadium and more fans - so what, mindboggling stuff and even crazier is the contract negotiated that lets him leave after a successful season but the most fcuked up thing about all of this is aston villa and hughes denying that they have been in contact and denying that the aston villa managerial seat suddenly becoming available has anything to do with this, jokers like little kids who deny eating the biscuits but have chocolate smeared all over their faces, that kind of bare-faced lying would make FIFA very proud

I think he'll be a good fit for Fulham.

I think he resigned to the fact he won't get the United or Liverpool job now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

if fulham get steve mclaren, god help them but knowing fayed and his fondness for failed english international managers i'd say mclaren is a good bet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

donfers wrote: »
    if fulham get steve mclaren, god help them but knowing fayed and his fondness for failed english international managers i'd say mclaren is a good bet

Why?

He won the Dutch League with a team that never won it before, its a pretty impressive achievement

fulham have a better squad of players and are liley to have a greater net spend than villa this season,

what?

ahahaha

even 50-60 million will only get villa to midtable

what do you mean "get villa to midtable"? we just had our worst season in recent memory and we finished 9th

If Villa spent 60 mill net this summer i'd expect them to have a go at the top 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭CSF

i don't understand it

fulham have a better squad of players and are liley to have a greater net spend than villa this season, villa will lose ashley young and downing looks like he wants to go too.......unless lerner is giving hughes a huge wage and promising him loads of cash for signings (which is very much needed but even 50-60 million will only get villa to midtable) then i don't see the point in this move....so they have a bigger stadium and more fans - so what, mindboggling stuff and even crazier is the contract negotiated that lets him leave after a successful season but the most fcuked up thing about all of this is aston villa and hughes denying that they have been in contact and denying that the aston villa managerial seat suddenly becoming available has anything to do with this, jokers like little kids who deny eating the biscuits but have chocolate smeared all over their faces, that kind of bare-faced lying would make FIFA very proud
    I just don't understand how people can think such stupid things.

If Villa spent 60 mill net this summer i'd expect them to have a go at the top 4

I don't think they would purely down to the fact that the top 4 is likely to be more competitive then it has been for years. Villa would also have a tough time attracting top players to the club, ahead of rivals for the top 4 such as Spurs and Liverpool

Personally I reckon the Villa move does make sense for Hughes. While they may have finished below Fulham this season, there is more potential for Villa to improve then for Fulham

Villa have a relatively big gate, they've a greater turnover and less debt then Fulham. If Villa can sort out the wage bill, the potential is there. Fulham though seem to be performing above what you would expect, they're loosing money and the debt is increasing, so unless AlFayed is going to put more money in, I can't see them progressing any further

Feck it might as well try and get Maradonna as manager for the craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

tommyhaas wrote: »
    I don't think they would purely down to the fact that the top 4 is likely to be more competitive then it has been for years. Villa would also have a tough time attracting top players to the club, ahead of rivals for the top 4 such as Spurs and Liverpool

Personally I reckon the Villa move does make sense for Hughes. While they may have finished below Fulham this season, there is more potential for Villa to improve then for Fulham

Villa have a relatively big gate, they've a greater turnover and less debt then Fulham. If Villa can sort out the wage bill, the potential is there. Fulham though seem to be performing above what you would expect, they're loosing money and the debt is increasing, so unless AlFayed is going to put more money in, I can't see them progressing any further
    I can tell you this much. Mark Hughes is based in Manchester, he had to live in London a lot over the past year. He is a devoted family man.
    I'd guess thats the number 1 reason he is leaving Fulham. He tried it for a year but doesn't want to continue and thats why he only signed a one year deal to start with I'd imagine.
    The Villa job might appeal to him and its possible he could travel to and from there from Manchester but its a long day with that journey both ways. I think if something popped up closer to home he would jump at it before he would take the Villa job.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I can tell you this much. Mark Hughes is based in Manchester, he had to live in London a lot over the past year. He is a devoted family man.
    I'd guess thats the number 1 reason he is leaving Fulham. He tried it for a year but doesn't want to continue and thats why he only signed a one year deal to start with I'd imagine.

It was widely reported he bought a house in Fulham

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

It was widely reported he bought a house in Fulham

yeah, I remember reading that on the front page of the times

• Advertisement

Fuhrer wrote: »
    yeah, I remember reading that on the front page of the times

Jeez, no need to be so snidey.

It was in the mail and a couple of other rags.

McClaren is a good manager but people don't give him any credit because of a failed stint with a vastly overrated England side.

Fulham could do a lot worse than a manager who had Middlesbrough established in the Premier League whilst getting to a UEFA Cup final and winning a domestic cup and having the balls to go abroad to get his career back on track where he won Twente their first ever league title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Long shot this, but what about Ancelotti for Fulham?

He's said he wants to stay in the Premier League....

Long shot this, but what about Ancelotti for Fulham?

He's said he wants to stay in the Premier League....

The only thing that would make me think that it could happen is the location. However, I think he'll certainly hold out for something better as he could easily get a top job when one becomes available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Hughes whined and moaned when city fumped him cos they wanted someone better!
    Now he turns around and dumps Fulham because he wants something better!

Also, did he have only a 1 year contract, or did he, as I thought have another year?

Out of the many reasons Ancelloti won't go to Fulham here's another one.

Ancelotti would want Wilkins with him but al fayed won't do that because he has already sacked and wilkins sued al fayed.

Also, did he have only a 1 year contract, or did he, as I thought have another year?

1 year deal with an option for an additional year, which he didnt take

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Out of the many reasons Ancelloti won't go to Fulham here's another one.

Ancelotti would want Wilkins with him but al fayed won't do that because he has already sacked and wilkins sued al fayed.

Wilkins' main strength for a foreign manager coming into Chelsea was his intimate knowledge of the club. He can't offer the same at Fulham. I doubt he'd be a deal breaker.

The main deal breaker would be that Ancelotti will have his sights set way way higher then Fulham. The man has won he CL with Milan and the double with Chelsea. He's way too good for Fulham.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Wilkins' main strength for a foreign manager coming into Chelsea was his intimate knowledge of the club. He can't offer the same at Fulham. I doubt he'd be a deal breaker. - Wilkins managed Fulham. So your point is not valid.

The main deal breaker would be that Ancelotti will have his sights set way way higher then Fulham. The man has won he CL with Milan and the double with Chelsea. He's way too good for Fulham. Nice little dig, I agree with you but no need to be so harsh about it.

.sd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Wilkins managed Fulham. So your point is not valid.

14 years ago. He knows nothing about the current set up, part from maybe knowing where the manager parks his car. its a totally different club now than it was back then.
    Nice little dig, I agree with you but no need to be so harsh about it.

Its the truth. Its a bit rich to be moaning about someone pointing the truth out when you've all day been making stupid posts slagging off United and Liverpool. At least my point was actually based on fact.

Advertisement