Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to tell family about depression

Options
  • 01-06-2011 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

Hi,

In January this year I was diagnosed with depression, since then, I have kept it from my family. I am 20.

A few weeks back I told me dad, but he already knew, having suffered depression himself he recognized the signs.

I think my mum might know about my depression or may well suspect I have depression. She hasn't said anything to me about me being depressed but she has hinted about someone having depression, and to my knowledge, none of my other family members have depression.

The reason I have never told my mum about my depression because she tells our other family members everything and they love to gossip. They would love to know about my depression because for them, it's gossip. For this reason, I don't want my aunties/uncles/cousins to know this, not now anyway. Mentally I am not able to deal with them (or anyone) gossiping about me and my illness.

A lot of my family member also don't understand depression, I remember once, a few years ago now, one of my aunties said that anyone with depression is mad in the head and should be locked up, obviously someone with depression isn't mad in the head and shouldn't be locked unless they are a serious threat/danger to themselves or anyone else.

I have thought about self harming and I almost overdosed a few weeks ago, but I didn't over dose (although I was close to it), but I would never, ever harm another person.

I want to tell my mum about my depression, but I don't know how to tell her.

I would really appreciate some advice on how to tell my mum, because I am at a total loss as to how to tell her.

Any and all help/advice is appreciated.
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement